Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • Author

I had double vision and a terrible migraine, after I finished, because I worked non-stop and just a short nap. I wanted to post the easier solution before he read my complex solution. Fortunately, I think it was a weekend. When I woke up early evening. He responded that it solved the problem — and showed his revised page.

Cornelio,
    You’re kidding right? If you are serious, I think Joomla Art should be paying you for your valuable time. You are beyond the “Thank You” mode. I feel in my lifetime I’ve helped a lot of people, but your scenarios are a bit extreme for a volunteer position. If nothing else, Joomla Art should at least give you twice as many points for all your good intentions. Perhaps even pay you for the amount of words you type or add you to the Joomla Art staff.

Hopefully, as my time as a member increases, I will have a better understanding of the flaws of the point system. I’m obviously not seeing things as clearly as I should be. 😎

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@jwellman 75563 wrote:</em><blockquote>Cornelio,
    You’re kidding right? If you are serious, I think Joomla Art should be paying you for your valuable time. You are beyond the “Thank You” mode. I feel in my lifetime I’ve helped a lot of people, but your scenarios are a bit extreme for a volunteer position. If nothing else, Joomla Art should at least give you twice as many points for all your good intentions. Perhaps even pay you for the amount of words you type or add you to the Joomla Art staff.

Hopefully, as my time as a member increases, I will have a better understanding of the flaws of the point system. I’m obviously not seeing things as clearly as I should be. :cool:</blockquote>

No I am not.

But, before I provide you more clarification, the point is, members like Omarram, who has posted only a few posts, has done so much to help all Teline II users, in terms of the impact of his contribution .

The example I used above while it took me quite a long time, helped only one person. It was a help that would not have been needed, if there was a detailed manual for Teline II — tutorials, FAQs, etc. For example, right now, my focus is persuading Joomlart to provide

More particularly, to go back to your curiosity, it was a Jewish website , an online newspaper using Joomla 1.5.3-Teline II. It has an equivalent print paper. The guy was a veteran Joomla user but the template we are talking about is Teline II template which is different from other Joomlart templates, as far as the scripts are concerned. And he cannot solve the problem. No Joomlart staff wanted to touch the issue.

He was despondent. His only choice was to start all over again. Have you ever tried to start from scratch when you already have a highly customized site? If you did not have a backup? The troubleshooting took longer because I do not want to be provided sensitive information, like admin username or password. So, a lot of times, it required asking information to diagnose the problem, and I have to do it on my own to replicate the problem and the solution. Since I do not have background in scripting at all. I had to base it solely on my experience and trial and error.

He was committing the same errors that i happen to have committed, and by trial and error, I solved them myself — as I have solved most of my problems with Joomlart. I had the same experience when I was new with Joomlart. It is very frustrating to be ignored. So, when I can, I try to help.

I do not try to help everyone. Just a few people here. And, I stop helping those who just keep on asking questions and do show any indication of helping others.

Chris and Victor

Just ask questbg, for other examples. Check this post: for going beyond what could not be done through one-liner help:

http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/add-module-2/

Through Chris, the tutorials not provided by Joomla had to be translate to French, so that Victor can understand it. Our efforts led others like Ana, who was inspired to create the Spanish version version, and that helped a lot of Spanish users. And, some of the help does not end in the Forums.

Check this out:

http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/position-module/

When Hainn was unable to solve the problem, and had no clue what is going about, I joined the discussion. But, for me to do that I had to install the same Joomla1.5.5-Teline II again, to check if I can reproduce the error. I checked the sugested solution of Hainn, and decided that it is not the solution nor was it addressing the problerm.

So, I thought, the problem is much simpler — I call “fidelity errors” — something that would go away, or something that could not be reproduced. And true enough, my gut instinct was correct. However, this took long also because, again Victor does not understand English well. He followed the procedure provided by Joomlart that led to the problem. To guide him, I had to collate materials from Joomla. Wrote a simplified procedure, including precautions, etc., etc. And posted all those in a single site, so that he could look at them

http://joomla-university.org/jte15x010/

Our approach is helping people at their level. Not give nebulous guides.

Bossep

When Bossep, who is an expert Windows programmer by the way, was having problems with his site, and messed it up. I thought the problem was really simple, we went to private prologed discussion about modern CMS (I am not an expert) and why his practices was part of the problem. Perhaps, the server may also be the problem. But, he has something else in mind. And so, I decided to upload and older version of Joomla 1.5.x-Teline II, created the database and username. And all he did was to install.

Well, we came to a better understanding of what his problems might be. From there, Bossep helped solve one of the more perplexing problems associated with Joomla1.5.x-Teline II

Do I have to do those? No. But I went ahead and did them anyway.

Do you need more examples, to satisfy your curiosity? 🙂

And yes, I do similar stuff outside of Joomlart also. A group that I helped offered to fly me to the Philippines, and I have standing invitation to join their reunions — expenses paid. But, I declined. One was brash enough to say that he would pay me to “work” for their website but I told them that they could not afford me, if I charge them by the hour. Also, I really do not feel qualified and do not have the time to provide such a service for them.

Of course, you will never know and you will make up your mind.I call this “Reality and Perception” issues. Sometimes, our initial impression of people cloud our perception of them. You will believe what you believe, depending on how you perceived me, so far. The reality sometimes does not even enter the equation when we make up my mind about people — part of the peril of the internet age.

Returning the favors

When I arrived in Baltimore straight from the Philippines, one of those who tried to help me was a Jewish family. And, one of my best friends when I was a student in Baltimore was Jewish guy. Without him, and my close circle of friends, I would have been lost. And, since then, I had met so many Jewish people, since then, and even those who may not like my politics in regard the Israeli-Palestinian issue, some of those who know me well enough still considered me as a friend, enough to be invited in their private Sabath observance.

I admire Jewish people and their culture, quite a lot. I always use them as examples when ti comes to meeting challenges. The fact that some conservatives refer to the Judeo-Christian tradition now, is a testament as to how far the Jewish people have come in the US, and for that matter in the world. Of course, I have been exposed, immersed or even studied a number of people and their cutlures or even their economic system: Japanese, Japanese, Germans, Chinese, Indians, Armenians and more. I was fascinated (from a personal interest) why cultures have been dominant, and why countries like mind are very poor. Or why certain empires ruled at certain times, but are now just a memory of what they had been.

But, my fascination with peoples and their culture do not lead me to generalize. I always consider each person, and interact accordingly.

All my life, many people have helped me, not just by my family. Sometimes, I could not repay them directly. So, I return the favor to others who I feel could use the same help, as others have done for me.

Cornelio

N.B.
    To those who are still curious, this post led to 20 credit points. In my proposed reform of the Joomlart credit system, this post should not get any credit points at all.

VisiGod Friend

It is interesting to state that I transferred my credits, but this did not lead to prolongation of my membership 🙂

mj1256 Friend

its working, they check the credits for redemption every week or so, it took them 5 days to credit my points to an upgraded membership just last week.

VisiGod Friend

Well, more than week passed. I know they are not doing it immediatelly 🙂

mj1256 Friend

I would email them, cause they just did mine with out issue

VisiGod Friend

E-mail who? Hung or someone else?

gazoline Friend

…My account is about 2 years old, but my membership has few days…

I try to fit in the landscape here and also to understand the issues…

For now, I am quite pleased with this membership, but I sense some difficulties that I am not really aware yet. Please help me to understand more…

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@mj1256 76000 wrote:</em><blockquote>its working, they check the credits for redemption every week or so, it took them 5 days to credit my points to an upgraded membership just last week.</blockquote>

Now you do not have to worry about how many sites you use. Provided you register them.:) If only Joomlart clarifies the Developer licensing besides “Unlimited use”.

For example, except for the inability to “sell” a template, what are the limits of what a developer can do with the tempplates — with unlimited use?

I should post a feedback on this.

Cornelio

mj1256 Friend

VisiGod: email customer support from the JA main page

cgc0202: unlimited use works for me, lets not define it, I like it being vague 😉

<blockquote>except for the inability to “sell” a template, </blockquote>
    well, right now I see it as selling as an affiliate, or as a developer, I do sell the template but indirectly, it is built into my price as part of the cost of my doing business, but not defined or stated in my pricing. Its just like amazon and free shipping, you don’t think shipping is actually free, nope, its built into the retail price.

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@gazoline 75176 wrote:</em><blockquote>in this matter, I just bought 1 year membership and after that, I can’t download a lot of things because I have -61 credits:eek:

sorry for my time here…

but for that I received some help for JA, and for that I thank them :)</blockquote>

HI gazoline,

You should be able to download all templates up to Olivine and until yourmembership expires. That is true also for many extensions, except those that were intended free for Developers. Those, when they are ready, you have to pay.

Cornelio

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@mj1256 76034 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    cgc0202: unlimited use works for me, lets not define it, I like it being vague 😉
    </blockquote>

It can be abused mj,

Like one customer. He uses it as a freebie for those who register in his reseller webhosting service. Is it legal? Without any definition, of what is allowed or not allowed, then the aforementioned use is legal use. So, let us say, he gets a million customers (this is an extreme to demonstrate the absurdity) then that is a million potential customers lost to Joomlart — $50 million with nothing going back to the coffers of Joomlart? So, it may be legal but not fair.

I would rather prefer a discounted bulk pricing for Developers, with clearcut definition of fair usage (I will not discuss that here):

1. 10 domains => $20 => $200
    2. 50 domains => $15 => $750
    3. 100 domains => $10 => $1000
    4. 1,000 domains =>$5 =>$5,000
    5. etc.

after all, as you stated, you pass it along to your client. Let’s say you charge $40 for the template per website

1. 10 websites => $40 => $400 => difference form above (profit) => $200
    2. 50 websites => $40 => $2000 => difference above (profit) => $1250
    3. 100 websites => $40 => $4000 => difference above (profit) => $3000
    4. 1,000 websites =>$40 =>$40,000 => difference above (profit) => $35,000
    5. etc.

So, let us not be greedy, but for Joomlart and Developers to work together. With the above approach, per domain, it is possiblle to have an “installation key” for example that can work only with a given domain.

As a customer, you are given so many keys, you manually register the domain. And when you install a site, and provide it a key., that key will no longer work for any other domains. When all your keys are used up, then you buy more.

In the above scheme, you are making money, and while Joomlart will be making less, they do not have to worry about their “creations” being stolen.

Cornelio

mj1256 Friend

I was be sarcastic, this should be moved to a new thread.

currently, 499 for unlimited domains is very reasonable for developers and JA.

beadit Friend

I’ve been wondering why I started with -50 credits. How can I find out?

questbg Friend

<em>@beadit 78806 wrote:</em><blockquote>I’ve been wondering why I started with -50 credits. How can I find out?</blockquote>

Ah now, you see, just by posting, your credits will increase … it’s all in the cause of the community.

Lots of downloads and no posts on forum = bad credit

Lots of posts on forum and not many downloads = good credit

😀

Cheers
    Chris

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)

This topic contains 56 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  stretchit 14 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum