Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

<em>@swissa 423187 wrote:</em><blockquote>Look at any big website. The logo size is tiny generally.

Google – 171×43
    ebay – 117×120
    Yahoo – 176×61
    BBC – 124×34
    Facebook – 171×36
    Twitter – 23×23
    UBS – 108×42
    F1 – 150×70

None are that large. A chance to educate your customers?</blockquote>

Hello,

You have just made my point basically!

Those companys you mentioned are ALL multi million/billion dollar companys that have the budget to re-brand whenever they want, have the budget to hire the worlds best marketing and web guru’s, and are typically forward thinking AND have a very large appreciation for what the web can do, and thus understand why a small horizontal logo is preferred…..not to mention I doubt any of those big companys would be using pre-made templates. You need to understand that we still live in a time where small and medium business still are not adopting automation software….their email client is what they use to manage their business (please note I didnt say every small or medium business, but there is enough stats and research out there to quantify what I say)

Correct me if I am wrong, JoomlArt templates are predominately there for people who can’t make their own template or people who need a nice template ready to go for a quick project. Therefore, designing the logo to be what small to medium business wants (what their logo’s are like) is important.

I dont disagree that we can educate our customers, but honestly, how many small to medium business owners would even care to make a smaller logo, let alone spend the time and money on it.

Out of ALL the things that we as web designers/business technology consultants need to be ‘advising’ our clients on, a web ready logo is at the very bottom of the list…again, they would laugh at us if we went in sprouting that a web ready logo is of high importance to them over everything else we need advise on in the small amount of designated time we have with them.

Long story short..yes we should advise, 100%, but JoomlArt is not targeting those multi billion dollar companys that have and understand the need for a web ready logo.

swissa Friend

I don’t disagree that lots of small companies have no idea about the web. The same could be said of a lot of people using templates. You are right – they want a quick fix. You can see it on the forum here – they want to replace, as Phill said above, the content and fill it with their own. No customisation at all.

If that is the case then they have to accept web convention; i.e. small logos. There is nothing wrong with bleeding the logo over the content as long as you add padding – see Tiris or Kranos as an example.

The problem for Joomlart is that people want to use logos that have been made for print media – business cards, stationary, adverts etc where the logo is massive. How do you accommodate that?

Listen, I’m still stunned that 80% of people work on live domains not a dev one, don’t make any backups, and never read the manual. The logo issue pails in comparison. 😀

art3 Friend

Hello austenn01, First sorry for my bad Inglés, I speak Spanish, thanks.

You’re absolutely right.
    What you say is very true.

Small and medium businesses need a logo good size, because they need to position their name or brand.

They are not Google, Nike, Ebay, Twtter, etc.. These brands are recognized globally.
    Just by looking at his iconography know who you are and do not have the same need.

I hope you can take into account the importance of satisfying our customers.

Thanks! :laugh:

James G Friend

But Phil if you want simple templates then there are plenty of those around.

Also Purity is a simple template which is free.

The chances of you finding a website using a joomlart template is very slim – infact i dont think i have come across any (i exclude joomla related sites).

With a site designed that is extravagant with many modules and features is excellent as it gives the user many different options for minimal work – surely that’s the idea with the amount of money paid for the templates on here.

I would imagine that alot of people who use templates from here are not that great at making changes themselves so need it spoon fed to them.

However there will be others like myself and i am guessing you Phil that have the nouse to be able to change around the template and make it look more unique than the demo provided.

This template so far just reminds me of purity – its so very simple and very samey to other templates that have been released.

James G Friend

I missed the posts on page 2.

I am fine if this is just a plain simple template thats being released this month then – i guess there is a market for these simple fast loading templates.

Phill Moderator

For all those that want a bigger logo area then we can always help you achieve this. In most cases a couple of quick code adjustments will do the trick. Obviously, some templates are harder than others particularly when the logo is in a small tag etc but this one should be relatively simple. If anyone need help getting their logo to fit on any JA template please feel free to raise a support request and the team here will be more than happy to help.

kernel64 Friend

Downloaded and installed this template on the joomla 3.3 release candidate version. This almost-stable-joomla-3.3 breaks with an error 500 (Unable to load format class.). This means we will see an update of this JA-Sugite template soon after joomla 3.3.0 is available. I find it very strange that this has not been tested and that Joomlart is releasing this JA-Sugite template now….. just wait a few days and make sure this JA-Sugite template IS compatible with Joomla 2,5, 3,2 and 3.3 !!!

omojesu2 Friend

I will have to agree with a lot of posters on this thread. Joomlart templates are no longer as attractive as they use to be in the past. The recent Joomla templates are unfortunately looking too plain and simple like most WordPress sites out there now. Simplicity does not have to sacrifice attractiveness. You could still make attractive and simple fast loading templates that are unique in their own right using css3 and later technologies.

We have had to resort to themeforest for our last four projects because we could no longer find the right fit for our projects on Joomlart. Please do not take this as a negative criticism, if customers are voicing concerns, it’s time to go back to the drawing board and make something that they want…after all, you are in the business of making money and satisfying customers along the way. The more you role out this so called simple designs, the more customers will look away.

And true, the logos need to be close to reality. I also have yet to see any SMB that uses small horizontal logos. It is not right to force customers to create a different logo variation for their websites. Design should not dictate content, content should dictate designs. I suggest creating preset variations of the template that incorporates both different sizes of logos so customers will be free to use the variation of the template that works for them.

For those referencing the Googles and Facebooks of this world, you are right but the average SMBs are not anywhere like or thinking yet like those multimillion dollar companies. If Google comes out today with something, they have the marketing budget to make people love it. On the other hand, the typical SMBs don’t. If you design something for them and they show it to friends and family, they will come back and start complaining about why their website looks plain and not attractive. I am a usability expert, and I know from experience that if you give customers what they don’t like, they won’t use it, no matter how functional the product is. So it is critical to combine effectiveness with efficiency and satisfaction as we say in the UX world. Joomlart templates no doubt have great framework behind but the design has to live up to the programming behind.

And remember, developers are not their own end users….the voice of the customer is what matters, not what a developer or designer think customers want. It is good to layout your vision as a business owner, but you must align the vision with what customers want.

My suggestion is to share different wireframes with customers and allow them comment on the variations. Possibly do a kind of voting contest to gain some buzz/excitement around the next big project. That way you can incorporate customer feedback into your designs before it reaches advance/release stages.

Just my 2 cents to the debate.

swissa Friend

Well written @omojesu2

re: logos

Yootheme as an example actually have a module position (custom html) for these – 2 in fact; ‘logo’ and ‘logo small’ for various devices.

Maybe that makes sense? No idea! – just a suggestion.

Phill Moderator

I have discussed the logo concerns with Arvind and he agrees it is something that we can address. Customising the area for the logo is relatively simple and probably something that can be documented for each individual template. Let’s see what we can come up with.

The idea of making it a module position may be nice and simple on the surface but it is actually more restrictive. As a logo only has to be changed once and different versions may be required for mobile versions of a template the current JA method is probably the best option.

bripoole Friend

I cannot get in the back end to update

alexsmirnov Friend

@bripoole,

Let’s deal with your issue in a dedicated thread that I’ve just created for you at http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/can-not-login-to-ja-sugite-backend/, shall we?

Regards,

Alex

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

This topic contains 27 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  alexsmirnov 9 years, 12 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum