Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Utilizing Teline II as an online magazine has been part of my overall website roadmap/plan since it came out – but I have to admit that I am getting concerned. This support section, more than any other, seems to be the most active with issue after issue, bug after bug. So, I feel I have to ask in all seriousness . . .

WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH JA-TELINE II ??

I mean, the original Teline doesn’t seem to have nearly as many (if any) issues as does Teline II.
    What is so different and/or what could be causing all of these issues/problems?

Is it a matter of certain code fixes? If so, why aren’t they/can’t they be fixed?

Is it a matter of issues that arise from people’s specific customizations?
    If so, I suppose customization specific issues are somewhat common.

It just seems that there seems to be an inordinate amount of issues relating to this particular (and beautiful) template – I can’t seem to understand/figure out why there seems to be so many problems.

:confused:

Menalto Friend

Personally i would have rewritten about 40% of the template to make it work out as it should, it is too buggy at the moment to be as flexible as it should be….

questbg Friend

I think ‘buggy’ is an understatement! The only reason I joined was for Teline II … things like ‘easy to customize’ and ’12 months support’ in the sales pitch hooked me in!

However, I’ve since had to hack just about every CSS file just to get it to work as it should. Personally, I don’t think this template should have ever been released in this state, unless it was clearly marked as ‘beta’.

If it wasn’t for the help of some forum members (Menalto, Cornelio, etc.), I would have given up on this one a long time ago … it just does not work out of the box as it should. Plus, even though the Teline II forum is probably the most active with problems and bugs, JA staff don’t seem to be fixing things and releasing ‘fixes’. Seems all calls for a fix are ignored.

Ah well, roll on Teline III 😉

mayhesla Friend

hi folks

I must admit i am soon joining this wagon. Even if i won template of the month with jaTelline II – i now am seriously evaluating to switch to a new design because of all the troubles i have been starting to run into.

I truly love jaTelline – but in the long run it can get you into troubles if you are using the built in functions, and at the same time rely on some 3 party modules/components/plugins to make your site stand out.

There seriously needs to be done something with the code in the template in order to restore it to it’s greatnesss…

gaygiorgia Friend

i seriously hope fixes will come before my 3 months license expire.

In TELINE 2 PUBBLIC DEMO all seems easy, all seems working perfectly.
    If someone worked hard for a product, it is CORRECT, it is HONEST, if i want to use it, to pay his work. So i joined club and payed. it’s ok.

BUT IT IS NOT CORRECT AND IT IS NOT HONEST, to show and to declare a product “so good, so perfect, so cool B)” and THEN when received a payment, leave licensed member alone with their problems, with a template which is everything but surely not perfect.

it is deceptive.

There are many question, bugs or problems not answered and not fixed.

I joined Club ONLY for teline2.
    I CARE NOTHING OF ALL OTHERS templates. i care nothing “every XYZ days we release a new cool template! hehe“.
    I ONLY CARE A PRETTY WORKING FINE TELINE2 TEMPLATE LIKE THE PUBBLIC DEMO SHOWS.

So i repeat: i hope fixes will come before my license expire. if it will be not so, i hope JA will equally give me help for teline2 till it wroks fine.

Menalto Friend

<em>@gaygiorgia 64532 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    So i repeat: i hope fixes will come before my license expire. if it will be not so, i hope JA will equally give me help for teline2 till it wroks fine.</blockquote>

This was quite an intresting, and a thing i have never thought about.
    But ill give my opinion on it.
    When version 1.0 came out of Teline it was working “good”
    And it seems that each release of it have bringed in more bugs than fixes. To clean up all and get a 100% working Teline will might not happen in the first 3 weeks(im just guessing here). I will suggest to the JA Team that people that have downloaded and used Teline, and when their membership expires AND a stable version is released they can contact Joomlart with their username and email they used when they signed up(to really show that you have been a member, when the template was released) and a version can be emailed to the email you used when you signed up. Or it might be easier ways to di it on but you get the idea.
    Anyhow, if there is no other solution then described above, it will require some extra work to send out some copies of the template to the respective users, but at the end it needs to be done. Since people who use Teline signed up for a membership AND the product they got is not working as expected.

tempusserbia Friend

Unfortunately, this is not only issue with Teline, it seems that all few last templates have stockapiles of bugs. 🙁

Menalto Friend

I can agree there tempusserbia, but somewhere it needs to start, and so far Teline is the most popular one……………………….. just my thoughts……

gaygiorgia Friend

<em>@Menalto 64534 wrote:</em><blockquote>This was quite an intresting, and a thing i have never thought about.
    But ill give my opinion on it.
    When version 1.0 came out of Teline it was working “good”
    And it seems that each release of it have bringed in more bugs than fixes. To clean up all and get a 100% working Teline will might not happen in the first 3 weeks(im just guessing here). I will suggest to the JA Team that people that have downloaded and used Teline, and when their membership expires AND a stable version is released they can contact Joomlart with their username and email they used when they signed up(to really show that you have been a member, when the template was released) and a version can be emailed to the email you used when you signed up. Or it might be easier ways to di it on but you get the idea.
    Anyhow, if there is no other solution then described above, it will require some extra work to send out some copies of the template to the respective users, but at the end it needs to be done. Since people who use Teline signed up for a membership AND the product they got is not working as expected.</blockquote>
    thank you very much for your comprehension…
    This answer deserves very much.

ruigato Friend

<em>@mayhesla 64504 wrote:</em><blockquote>hi folks

…i now am seriously evaluating to switch to a new design because of all the troubles i have been starting to run into.

There seriously needs to be done something with the code in the template in order to restore it to it’s greatnesss…</blockquote>

i cant agree more..

another thing:
    Did you notice the number os messages per forum/template here? I think its a good measure to popularity (at least) of each one, so maybe the dev team should consider give more priority to this ones:

The Podium:
    1- Teline II – 4,532 forum messages
    2- Teline – 4,360 idem
    2- Xenia – 2.273 idem

Teline II is the most active forum even though its a relatively recent template in the midle of more than 50 templates.

Unfortunately i am starting to regreat to upgraded from Teline I to Teline II , i dont use the Ja_news things, the performance of the template is one of the worst i have seen, i dont use highslide, and almost all components i use have small glitches with this template…

Cmon guys..

ryanlama Friend

with all these modification and CSS edits.
    I’m thinking should i just edit the generic joomla template to get the Telline II look?
    I’ve learned that i really don’t need all of the function.
    but then again JA guys do this for a living.
    which one will take more time?
    which one will be more stable?
    Questions, questions, questions. 🙂

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@ryanlama 64616 wrote:</em><blockquote>with all these modification and CSS edits.
    I’m thinking should i just edit the generic joomla template to get the Telline II look?
    I’ve learned that i really don’t need all of the function.
    but then again JA guys do this for a living.
    which one will take more time?
    which one will be more stable?
    Questions, questions, questions. :)</blockquote>

Hi ryanlama,

What is your website for?

You are correct, you should not use JA Teline II if your site does not require the complexity of JA Teline II. Have you considered its precursor, the original JA Teline?

Except for the Front Page look, it has JA News. In fact, the JA News there has a better side-by-side format than JA Teline II.

The advance of JA Teline II is in the scripts, not really the look of the homepage (because the homepage is almost like the original JA Teline). There are some some modules of course that are found in JA Teline II, but there might be a way to have those, if you want.

The question becomes, do you really need them.

Cornelio

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@ruigato 64566 wrote:</em><blockquote>i cant agree more..

another thing:
    Did you notice the number os messages per forum/template here? I think its a good measure to popularity (at least) of each one, so maybe the dev team should consider give more priority to this ones:

The Podium:
    1- Teline II – 4,532 forum messages
    2- Teline – 4,360 idem
    2- Xenia – 2.273 idem

Teline II is the most active forum even though its a relatively recent template in the midle of more than 50 templates.

Unfortunately i am starting to regreat to upgraded from Teline I to Teline II , i dont use the Ja_news things, the performance of the template is one of the worst i have seen, i dont use highslide, and almost all components i use have small glitches with this template…

Cmon guys..</blockquote>

Hi ruigato,

We should not use the template because it is popular. What is your site intended for?

What prompted you to shift then from the original Teline to Teline II. the orignial Teline is almost like Teline II, it just does not have highslide, and a few features, like a more news-magazine type of FrontPage.

The original Teline is very stable, at least the one I used the Joomla 1.0x version. I like the side-by-side layout in the original Teline also, and does not give you the jagged appearance of the JA Teline II.

If you do not need the JA News at all, then maybe the JA Teline II should not be the template for you. There are actually older templates of Joomlart that I like. They are not popular because they are quite simple, but that is more the kind of template I prefer.

If I chose JA Teline II, it was because of the script behind it to create a magazine template. Before Joomlart tried it, no one has really done anything like it. I saw the RocketTheme, and it has some good features but it does not have the elegant simplicity of JA Teline II.

I wish Joomlart really brainstorm, and do a complete makeover, deal with all the issues raised and sometimes solved in the forum already. Otherwise, this thread would be a very long list of retelling of all that is not good about JA Teline II.

Cornelio

ryanlama Friend

I’m trying to build an online magazine. so this would be good but as i look closely.
    If i rewrite and redo all these stuff, the simpler 3 column or 5 column templates will work just fine.
    all i need to do is install all these components and create a few custom module positions.

anyhow i think i’m going to revert back to Teline 1 and see if some the issues go away.
    some of the plugin in Teline II might be to blame but i know so little about this.

I’ll leave it up to the experts.
    I just love the Teline line its so simple and elegant, have to give kudos to all involved. Hopefully it can evolve more.

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@ryanlama 64646 wrote:</em><blockquote>I’m trying to build an online magazine. so this would be good but as i look closely.
    If i rewrite and redo all these stuff, the simpler 3 column or 5 column templates will work just fine.
    all i need to do is install all these components and create a few custom module positions.

anyhow i think i’m going to revert back to Teline 1 and see if some the issues go away.
    some of the plugin in Teline II might be to blame but i know so little about this.

I’ll leave it up to the experts.
    I just love the Teline line its so simple and elegant, have to give kudos to all involved. Hopefully it can evolve more.</blockquote>

If your goal is an online magazine, there is none in the arsenal of Joomlart that can replace JA Teline II.

There is less problem with the Joomla 1.0.x-JA Teline II, because many of the issues raised are related to the peculiarities in the forum are those of Joomla1.5.x

I agree with you that the original JA Teline is much simpler to use. After I learned how it worked, I never had problems with it. But, the original JA Teline is not a magazine per se, or even an online newspaper, in comparison to the likes of professional papers like New York Times.

If you really like a very stable and versatile template, like the original JA Teline, I found the Gavick Pro more versatile, and more easy to customize. I have moved things around, add and delete, etc., and had no problem like that encountered with JA Teline II.

Here’s their News Demo

[Note: The link will not work directly. You have to use the scroll demo template menu at the bottom.]

From that Demo, since I am not really a fan of black background for Newspaper type, I practically edited so many of the CSS, and created (cloned) modules to come out with this

My own Online News Demo

which never broke down while I was doing all those makeover. In fact, the news modules, tab modules are so versatile you can practically mimic any format you want.

More important, I was the news modules of the Gavick from that of Joomlart JA News, and the Gavick News module is not only quite versatile, it also addressed many issues encountered with Joomla 1.5.x

If Joomlart has not come up with JA Teline II, I would prefer my My revised Online News Demo

over that of the original JA Teline. I was in the process of doing that actually when Joomlart came up with JA Teline II.

I am aware of the issues about Joomla 1.5.x, plus many of my extensions are still not compatible with Joomla 1.5.x

So, I decided to use the Joomla 1.0.x-JA Teline II, and so far have not encountered many of the problems reported by users of Joomla 1.5.x-JA Teline II, Most of the issues, I encountered I have solved already.

The only problem I encountered with Joomla 1.0.x-JA Teline II was when I tried to add the image slide and the versatile news module of Gavick. Both times, while they uploaded correctly, my JA News Module disappeared after moving things around.

It is never restored when I removed the Gavick templates. I can restore it only by uninstalling the old JA Teline II template, and installing a new JA Teline II template, but unfortunately there are bugs in the JA Teline II template.

So, for now, I try not to install the Gavick modules and just use the existing modules of the Joomla 1.0.x-JA Teline II, and did not have any major problem so far.

And today, with the post gaygiorgia in another thread:

ja news module shows only partial text (ENDING TEXT instead of STARTING TEXT
    http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/quickstart-installation-ja-news-1-3-1-shows-only-partial-text-or-nothing/

we might have found a solution to one of the most irritating idiosyncracies of the JA Teline II.

Cornelio

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

This topic contains 39 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  gazoline 14 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum