Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

cgc0202;64793Subfighter,

Let us start with you. What do you suggest we do that is realistic and concrete, and will satisfy all parties?

In my case, I have already announced that while I may maintain my ties with Joomlart — after all they make some good templates that I like, layout wise — I am going on with my announced plan to help create the Collaborative Support Group.

One thing the Collaborative Support Group could do, if there are enough members would be to hire someone (paid of course) to make all the corrections needed, or even improve the script that will then become available to all members of the Collaborative Support Group.

The power of numbers

Here’s one example where we can lead to a concrete solution. Menalto claimed this:

and since we know in this forum that to an extent Menalto knows his templates, based on the fixes he has done here. Why don’t we as a group hire Menalto?

Let us say, Menalto agrees to do it, for $1,000. Guaranteed to work.

That is a lot of money if you will shoulder the expenses, alone.

But look at what the power of numbers can do:

Menalto’s fee => #Members => Cost per member

$1,000 => 10 => $100
    $1,000 => 100 => $10
    $1,000 => 1,000 => $1
    $1,000 => 10,000 => $0.1
    $1,000 => 20,000 => $0.05

Would you consider paying an extra $10 to get a working, stable, fast loading JA Teline II?

I would in an instant. But, do not stop there. Look if we are 20,000 strong in a Collaborative Support Group, it will cost each of us, just 5 cents, to get the job done.

In fact, since Menalto claims that he can do one template a day.:) — then if we are big enough, we can negotiate with him, and say; you will be a millionaire in 3 years, if we pay you that much, and you get one every day.

How about we pay you a decent full salary instead, and work for us? If Menalto is a sensible person, then he would realize that he could not get such $1,000 paying job day-in day-out, and he might consider the security of a decent full salary instead. After all, we know that Moderators, even a Super Moderator like Menalto, do not get paid much here.

We do not have to stop there — why don’t we as a group then use the power of our number to prepare collaboratively the Manuals, tutorials, tips, FAQs, and other tools we need. So that we become part of the solution to the problems we encounter.

In this scheme I propose, we, as part of a Collaborative Support Group, can work together with Joomlart or other template companies. And, with our number, if there are more of us, we can negotiate to get the best templates from them, and forget the rest. These are just some concrete, doable pro-active stuff that we can do.

If we all understand the above — about the Power of Numbers — we will stop complaining and instead find ways, so we will organize as a Collaborative Support Group that I have been proposing for quite some time now.

Do not expect it to be free though.

It involves a lot of money, because people have to be hired, accountants, lawyers, and Uncle Sam has to be paid, social security benefits, health insurance, legal fees, liability insurance, the credit card companies get a hefty fee if membership fees have to be collected, etc., etc. (see note below).

Since many of us have our own jobs, or more important things to do, many of us cannot do the above mundane things that comes with every group.

The question becomes, would you be willing to help organize or become part of such a Collaborative Support Group, and help in anyway you can to make it work?

And, would you be willing to help defray the cost in the successful operation of such a Collaborative Support Group?

If you are willing to pay Joomlart $70 per year, with the service and products they offer now, how much would you be willing to pay a Collaborative Support Group that can actually do the things you are asking for?

These are the things that we should be thinking about — concrete solutions that will solve our problems.

Repeating our woes too much will not lead us anywhere near to what we want to happen.

Cornelio

The cost of running a project

From my own experience involved mostly in research institutions, if the direct cost is $300K (for three years), the average size of a single research grant, the institution tags in about 65% indirect costs. Some institutions like those affiliated as teaching hospitals of Harvard Medical School actually charge 70-85%, and one hospital (the world famous Children’s Hospital) charges as much as 110% of indirect costs. About 75% of the direct cost itself is used to pay for the people involved in research. Only the remaining 25% is left for expenses for the actual research itself. And if you consider the total costs (indirect and direct costs) — the amount is about 15% of the total. This is for non-profit project. All that is paid by institutions like the National Institutes of Health.

You have me. Put me on a list. Great idea.

hendersonline Friend

Most of my issues are concerned with the frustration of getting to the right solution for a particular problem quickly. I don’t mind that there are problems (no software is perfect), but if there is a solution I want to find it quickly so as not to waste my time. I’ve spent a lot of time trawling through these forums reading threads to find solutions. Some are new threads that repeat problems, Some are threads that address one problem but are incorrectly named or just differently named, or generically named. If this was a business and we were undertaking project development we would not manage the project through a forum. There needs – imho -to be someone in charge of gathering up the solutions to the problems and adding them to the user guide somehow (wiki? FAQ? knowledgebase?) so that we don’t all keep re-inventing the wheel.

Joomlart templates are great to look at. We just need to get the admin functionality right behind the scenes.

I am not sure that the idea above is right. I am sure Menalto is great but many of the solutions I have found are from fellow users, not from owners or moderators. It is that power – the same power of community that drives Joomla – that we need. Perhaps Menalto needs to be the gatherer and tester?

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@tempusserbia 64883 wrote:</em><blockquote>You have me. Put me on a list. Great idea.</blockquote>

It looks that among those who read this, you are the only one who understood =tempusserbia:)

What language is your native tongue? We looking for people who might be interested to translate them to different languages, for the tutorials.

I will keep you in mind. I was supposed to be creating some dummy tutorials but instead, I am doing two intensive tutorials at the same time — one just beginning and one a messed up site.

Cornelio

carysmith Friend

I think it would be a great solution to all join forces. Im in.

helmer Friend

So whats the status as of today? I just joined Joomlart for the sole purpose of getting JA Teline II as i desperately need it for an important project, and what do i get to see? A discussion about how badly written it is, how buggy it obviously is and the lack of proper support…….

Questions that immediately arise:

Is the template still as buggy as it obviously was when this thread started?
    Can it be used in a “production environment”?

bendikbygstad Friend

<em>@tempusserbia 64883 wrote:</em><blockquote>You have me. Put me on a list. Great idea.</blockquote>
    Put me in this list as well, but i don´t think we gonna get a better version with just 10 bucks pr. person. I became a joomlart member for 5 year just a few month ago because of teline II template´s design. So i hope they put more time for newer teine version.This is a great template. I hope joomlart would develope new designs for things like intranet, wiki, blog etc. The latest template implementation with fireboard and portifolia is great , but the use of it is not so attractive.

bendikbygstad Friend

<em>@helmer 86432 wrote:</em><blockquote>So whats the status as of today? I just joined Joomlart for the sole purpose of getting JA Teline II as i desperately need it for an important project, and what do i get to see? A discussion about how badly written it is, how buggy it obviously is and the lack of proper support…….

Questions that immediately arise:

Is the template still as buggy as it obviously was when this thread started?
    Can it be used in a “production environment”?</blockquote>

I use teline II in a production enviroment. There´s still some bug with IE7 and modules, but i still happy with the template.

helmer Friend

<em>@bendikbygstad 86446 wrote:</em><blockquote>I use teline II in a production enviroment. There´s still some bug with IE7 and modules, but i still happy with the template.</blockquote>

Great to hear, then i´ll proceed as planned and hopefully get a nice and working JA_Teline II site up soon 🙂
    Thanks for the answer!

gazoline Friend

Nice post 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

This topic contains 39 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  gazoline 14 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum