Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

hi I’ve an article which shows only the end part of its text in the ja_news 1.3.1 module.

—————> frontpage screen:

—————>html editor of article screen:

i’ve tried to:
    – delete <p> and </p> tags
    – adding or remove image
    – re-formatting text….

The problem persists.

I’ve tested that if first page (home) starts show only the text after the last <br />.
    So if i delete last <br /> it start with “I biglietti sono…” and no more with “Per informazioni…”

URL:
    http://www.venetoinfo.it

questbg Friend

Hi gaygiorgia

I have been having the same problem.

If I remove the image, everything works fine. If I put the image back in, same problem (or even sometimes, no text at all, just the image).

There seems to be no easy fix. What I did yesterday, was rather than have the image right at the start of the article, I put it at the end of the first paragraph. This fixed the problem, but I don’t know if this will work everytime!

Try moving the image and let me know!

Good Luck
    Chris

gaygiorgia Friend

thx quest, but i do not want to change position of the image!
    i have many others articles with same lenght and words with image at the beginning. and they works fine.

I want this article works fine with imagine at the beginning too…

Is this a module bug? or there is some alphanumerical characters combination which cannot be used?

gaygiorgia Friend

can some moderator read and give any answer?

cgc0202 Friend

It is capricious as Chris stated. Can you provide a grab image of the same article in the Section page and the full article page?

One thing, did you notice that you have two line breaks

<br />

markups? I just confirmed this in Joomla 1.0x. When I have a line break in the “Intro” text, or what is before the “Read more” in Joomla 1.5x, I do not have any text before that.

The key here might be the position of the
    <br />

<p>{mosimage}</p><br /><strong>Road map. </strong><p> </p><p>Whenever you are new to a place, a road map would help.  Better still, if you have a local guide to provide you with directions based from their experience. The same is true when navigating a website, or in this case if you are the designated webmaster.  Here the tutorials  will serve as your local guide as well as your road map, assumed to be written by those who have been there, and with enough experience.</p><p>a</p><br /><p>b</p><br /><p>c</p><br /><p>d</p>

In the above example. the last
    <br />
    is before the paragraph, with just before

d

as shown here:

<br /><p>d</p>

Guess what would appear? If you guessed you guessed

d

then you just won a hundred Joomlart credits.

If I removed the last line break before the

d

so that the last line break is now before

c

as shown here

<br /><p>c</p><p>d</p>

Guess what would show up? Did you get it as

cd

If you did, now you have won a thousand Joomlart credits.

Now this?

<p>a</p><br /><p>b</p><p>c</p><p>d</p>

If you guessed

bcd

you now have won ten thousand Joomlart credits

and this?

<br /><p>a</p><p>b</p><p>c</p><p>d</p>

Did you guess

abcd

Then you are up now to hundred thousand Joomlart credits

<p>{mosimage}</p><br /><p><strong>Road map. </strong>Whenever you are new to a place, a road map would help.  Better still, if you have a local guide to provide you with directions based from their experience. The same is true when navigating a website, or in this case if you are the designated webmaster.  Here the tutorials  will serve as your local guide as well as your road map, assumed to be written by those who have been there, and with enough experience.</p><p>a</p><p>b</p><p>c</p><p>d</p>

You would be up to a million Joomlart credits if you guessed that it seemed almost correct now, like this

“Road map. Whenever you are new to a place, a road map would help. Better still, if you have a local guide to provide you with directions based from their experience. The same is true when navigating a website, or in this case if you are the designated webmaster. Here the tutorials ….{

And this?

<p>{mosimage}</p><p><strong>Road map. </strong>Whenever you are new to a place, a road map would help.  Better still, if you have a local guide to provide you with directions based from their experience. The same is true when navigating a website, or in this case if you are the designated webmaster.  Here the tutorials  will serve as your local guide as well as your road map, assumed to be written by those who have been there, and with enough experience.</p><p>a</p><p>b</p><p>c</p><p>d</p>

Would you believe getting ten million Joomlart credits if you guessed that it seemed almost correct now, like this

If you guessed

“Road map. Whenever you are new to a place, a road map would help. Better still, if you have a local guide to provide you with directions based from their experience. The same is true when navigating a website, or in this case if you are the designated webmaster. Here the tutorials ….{

As I stated above, this was tested in Joomla 1.0xx. I would be interested to know if you removed the line breaks in your script for the Intro text in the article.

You can help us all, if you can confirm the above in Joomla 1.5x — JA Teline II. I think based from the information you provided, so far, my hypothesis is correct.:

The text after the last line break –<br /> — shows up. So, I think just make sure that you do not use line break before the “Read more” in Joomla 1.5x or what is called the “Intro” text in Joomla 1.0.xx.

I hope this will be the final solution. It is not as some people suggested before to be due to the text less than the maximum imposed in the limit.

Another observation, the presence of

<p></p>

will not have any effect on the appearance of the text, but it certainly affect the spacing, especially if you have a sequence of

empty “<p></p>” at the top. So, they must be removed.

Thanks for the detailed observation. Your “html” grab gave me the clue to try this. I wish people who ask question provide more info like you did. We may be able to solve the problem much faster.

Cornelio

.N.B. Sorry about the Joomlart Credit points. 🙂 I hope it did not confuse you. We have a running discussion about Joomlart credits in another thread, somewhere else.

gaygiorgia Friend

thx for reply.
    If developers or staff need more info i’ll be more than glad to give them more info! 🙂

– web server: linux based with PHP 4.xx+ and PERL 5.6.1+;
    – joomla version: joomla 1.5.3 from quickstart installer (since any other installation is bugged -> see this 3D without answer);

ja_news module settings:

———- DIFFERENCES ——–

CODE 1) :

CODE 2) :

OUTPUT CODE 1) and CODE 2): — OK —

CODE 3):

OUTPUT CODE 3): — ERROR —

CODE 4):

OUTPUT CODE 4) — DIFFERENT ERROR —

edit: THERE IS A CODE 5) TOO:
    if i copy the code 1) and delete the image is all ok too.

NOW:
    how to get code 3) or 4) working well with <br />?

gaygiorgia Friend

<blockquote>So, I think just make sure that you do not use line break before the “Read more” in Joomla 1.5x or what is called the “Intro” text in Joomla 1.0.xx.</blockquote>

?????
    i have not understood… i never used “read more”…
    infact i have disabled it in ja-news module settings too…

cgc0202 Friend

Hi gaygiorgia,

The information you provided in Code 2, 3 and 4 and the corresponding resulting image confirmed the hypothesis in my previous post

To summarize:

The key here might be the position of the
    <br />

The text after the last line break –<br /> — shows up. So, I think just make sure that you do not use line break before the “Read more” in Joomla 1.5x or what is called the “Intro” text in Joomla 1.0.xx.

Let’s forget about Code 1, for now, since that is not the convention in Joomla.

Based from your response:

Code 2 and the corresponding output

<em>@gaygiorgia 64521 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    CODE 2) :

is consistent with my hypothesis that the presence of the line break markup — <br /> — has an impact, without it, the Joomlart standard of

(mosimage} Introductory text here

or

(mosimage}

Introductory text here

works. Lesson, if you do not really need to have a line break, don’t use it.

If you read my previous post carefully, your observations:

CODE 3):

OUTPUT CODE 3): --- ERROR ---

CODE 4):

OUTPUT CODE 4) --- DIFFERENT ERROR ---

are both consistent with my hypothesis also that:

The text after the last line break –<br /> — shows up.

They are not different errors, as you put it. Both Code 3 and Code 4 — as shown by their corresponding OUTPUT behave exactly as I stated:

The text after the last line break –<br /> — shows up.

Just examine them more carefully. I will respond to your other questions in separate posting, so it is easier to dissect the problems more clearly.The line break (<br />) may a key role in regard missing text

Cornelio

cgc0202 Friend

Hi gaygiorgia,

You asked:

<em>@gaygiorgia 64521 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    NOW:
    how to get code 3) or 4) working well with <br />?</blockquote>

It seems, the solution is either Code 1
    <em>@gaygiorgia 64521 wrote:</em><blockquote>CODE 1) :

</blockquote>

which by the way is the usual way it is done to wrap an image in the standard html mark up. The only problem with this is that, you must guess where to place the image, after the text., and from my own experience with static html you may run into trouble, if you have a series of images that are aligned left and right. If you use small images, less of a problem.

A potential alternative solution:

In my first response to this thread, I stated also that, the pair of paragraph mark ups — <p> </p> — do not have the same effect as the line break (<br />).

So, if it is not too much inconsistent with your layout:

Try replacing the line break (<br />) with the the pair of paragraph mark ups — <p> </p> .

For example:

(mosimage)

<p> First set of sentences here.</p> => meaning more than one sentence, like your post.

<p> Second set of sentences here.</p>

<p> Third set of sentences here.</p>

<p> Fouth set of sentences here.</p>

Note that in the Joomla scripts, what appears in the Homepage (either the JA FrontPage or JA News) ignore the the pair of paragraph mark ups — <p> </p> .

Rule:

If the total number of characters in the “<p> First set of sentences here.</p>” do not exceed the maximum characters you specified in the module for either the JA FrontPage or JA News, the next <p> Second set of sentences here.</p> are included, and possibly even the <p> Third set of sentences here.</p> — until the maximum characters you specified in the module for either the JA FrontPage or JA News has been reached.

I would be interested to see the grab image of the result when you replace the line break (<br />) with the the pair of paragraph mark ups — <p> </p> .

It goes without saying that the full article will show the spacing imposed by the pair of paragraph mark ups — <p> </p> . So, it would be educational for all of us also to see the layout of the full article.

Cornelio

gaygiorgia Friend

i’m testing a lot, dear, thx for explanations…
    i’ll post images u requested, give me time pls.
    I think i have found an alternative way solution to your alternative ^^

gaygiorgia Friend

Ok, your alternative artigianal solution works.

code:

output:

my alternative way to your alternative way is similar, but better if we want an output similar to <br />.

infact while <br> “takes only 1 row”, <p> “takes 2 rows”.

how to get the effect of a <br> without getting output problems?
    By using <div>!!! infact as <br>, even <div> “takes only 1 row”.

so with code:

i get the right ouput i want both in homepage and in single articles page.

THX JOOMLA STAFF… how to thank myself? :p:p:p

gaygiorgia Friend

ah, do not mark topic as solved.
    The problem is not solved, since the bug remains.

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@gaygiorgia 64578 wrote:</em><blockquote>Ok, your alternative artigianal solution works.

code:

output:

my alternative way to your alternative way is similar, but better if we want an output similar to <br />.

infact while <br> “takes only 1 row”, <p> “takes 2 rows”.

how to get the effect of a <br> without getting output problems?
    By using <div>!!! infact as <br>, even <div> “takes only 1 row”.

so with code:

i get the right ouput i want both in homepage and in single articles page.

THX JOOMLA STAFF… how to thank myself? :p:p:p</blockquote>

Yes gaygiorgia, I understand the impact of the paragraph mark ups being equivalent to two line spaces. That is why in some static html stuff, I prefer to use the line break, or even two line breaks, as they are much easier to use.

I did not know that it will accept and empty pair of <div></div>, i.e., no class definition. So, I assume it is a valid markup? You may know this better than I do. So, I learned something new myself, by responding.

Cornelio

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@gaygiorgia 64523 wrote:</em><blockquote>?????
    i have not understood… i never used “read more”…
    infact i have disabled it in ja-news module settings too…</blockquote>

Hi gaygiorgia,

The improper use of the “Read more” in Joomla 1.5x is something I do not like.

Personally, I think adding “Red more” is insulting to readers and visitors. They are being treated as stupid, it is as if it is their first time to read an online paper and have to be told “Read more”, and some write the phrase as a single word too, rather than the correct two words — “Read more” no Readmore”

The reason why I asked for the Section text is that “Read more” has a different meaning there.

The maximum characters in an article presented in the JA Frontpage or the JA News depend on the setting you indicated.

In the Section Intro page, where there are more space, the “Read more” mark up defines where it will truncate the article text in the Section Intro page. However, when you use this feature, even if you inactivated “Read more” in the JA News, the “Read more” will show up in every article in the Section Intro page, if you use the .”Read more” to truncate the article. I am not sure if this is a bug.

Thus, I wonder therefore what the “cutoff” point in the Section Intro page, if you did not use the “Read more” option to demarcate the cutoff point. Was it exactly the same as the max character cut off in the JA News. If they are the same, the that is not good.

The amount of text showing in the Hompage is usually different fro the Section pages.

Cornelio

questbg Friend

Interesting. Next time I get the problem, I’ll use DIV instead of P or BR 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

This topic contains 35 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  cgc0202 15 years, 10 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum