Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author

While I respect every members opinions, please remember that this is a template club – not a club that provides you with a complete working site with pre-installed extensions.

It’s up to each individual member to install and tweak these templates (QikStarts, extensions, etc.) as they see fit so that it will meet their own needs. The QikStarts are an extra perk that the JA team provides to its members so that they may have a duplicate of the JA template “demo”.

mj1256 Friend

unixboymd, i’ve said it a millions times, but everyone else seems to think that JA is responsible for all of joomla, every component, mod and plugin, and solving world hunger and the economy.

most users cannot tell where joomla ends and the template begins

quickstarts are a convenience, JA is only responsible for the template and the templates and JA mods only

larskr Friend

O.K. – i think you must use cb_login. So unpublish mod_login and publish cb_login. The parameters attached (admin-screenshot). I am using CB 1.2rc3.

You must change mod_cblogin. Bakup the old one first!

Row 663. Add an div arround the link, so it looks like this:
    [PHP]echo ‘<div id=”mod_login_icon_username”><input type=”text” name=”username” id=”mod_login_username’.$class_sfx.'” class=”inputbox’.$class_sfx.'” size=”‘.$name_lenght.'”‘ . $bgstyleUser . ‘ /></div>’;[/PHP]

Row 677 also:
    [PHP]echo ‘<div id=”mod_login_icon_password”><span><input type=”password” name=”passwd” id=”mod_login_password’.$class_sfx.'” class=”inputbox’.$class_sfx.'” size=”‘.$pass_lenght.'”‘ . $bgstylePass . ‘ /></span></div>’;[/PHP]

Row 760 start the div-tag before the link
    [PHP]echo ‘<div id=”mod_login_lostpassword_reg”><a href=”‘.$loginPost.'” class=”mod_login’.$class_sfx.'”>’;[/PHP]

Row 814 close the div-tag behind the link:
    [PHP]echo ‘</a></div>’;[/PHP]

Then add these lines at the and of your templates/ja_sanidineii_light/css/templates.ss:
    #mod_login_icon_username { background:url(../images/icon-user.png) 0 0 no-repeat; padding-left:25px; float:left; }
    #mod_login_icon_password { background:url(../images/icon-key.png) 0 0 no-repeat; padding-left:25px; float:left; }
    #mod_login_submit { float:left; }
    #mod_login_lostpassword_reg { clear:left; padding-top:5px; margin-left:30px; }
    #mod_login_lostpassword_reg a { color:#666; }

A little Finetuning: At line 1315 in this css you can change the position to:
    /* Login */
    #ja-login {
    position: absolute;
    right: 10px;
    top: 15px;
    color: #666666;
    }

Ready. See the result.jpg (german).

1. cb_login
    2. result
    mj1256 Friend

so sotte

this is the solution to change the cb login module to horizontal layout for the top location of this template?

larskr Friend

Yes – for the CB 1.2 RC3. I think the rows in mod_cblogin of the CB 1.1 are different.

David Steadson Friend

<em>@unixboymd 90850 wrote:</em><blockquote>While I respect every members opinions, please remember that this is a template club – not a club that provides you with a complete working site with pre-installed extensions.</blockquote>

I find this comment extremely disconcerting, and I suspect legally questionable. I find nowhere on the site a disclaimer saying the products being sold may not work as advertised, and even if I did it wouldn’t matter as such a disclaimer would be invalid.

JA Sanidine II is clearly advertised as working with community builder and just as clearly does not.

VisiGod Friend

You are right, but they don’t care.

unixboymd Friend

Actually, if you had read the site / clubs Terms of Use then you would have noticed the following:

<blockquote>Our products are provided “as is” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. In no event shall our juridical person be liable for any damages including, but not limited to, direct, indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages or other losses arising out of the use of or inability to use our products.</blockquote>

That pretty much covers JA from legal action when it comes to you not being able to use their templates or extensions. Please remember, you are not paying your hard earned money to actually purchase the templates or extensions. You are paying for access to download them.

And since JA has the templates / extensions working on their servers and offers installation & configuration guides, support forums, email support, etc. and even goes so far as to provide you with an exact copy of each templates entire working site (via Quick Start so that you can install and compare with your own installation) I highly doubt that any judge would see JA’s efforts as being negligeable and thus be considered fraud just because you can’t get it configured and working on your own server. Especially given the fact that web servers are so varied in their configurations and set-up that not all websites (and the underlying technologies are all compatible with each other).

<em>@icerat 94418 wrote:</em><blockquote>I find this comment extremely disconcerting, and I suspect legally questionable. I find nowhere on the site a disclaimer saying the products being sold may not work as advertised, and even if I did it wouldn’t matter as such a disclaimer would be invalid.

JA Sanidine II is clearly advertised as working with community builder and just as clearly does not.</blockquote>

I’m sorry that you feel that way. But if you really do, then don’t use JA templates or extensions. There are plenty of other Joomla! template clubs out there and you are more than free to subscribe to them. But most of them don’t even come close to providing the same amount and types of support that JA does.

Perhaps, if those of you stopped complaining and were actually a little proactive in your support requests then your questions would be answered in a timely manner. And by proactive, I mean providing all necessary and pertinent information in the very first post of your support request (e.g. Joomla! version, template name and version, all your installed extension versions, server configuration, what you have done to troubleshoot the problem yourself, what custom modifications you have made to your server, your site, your template, your extensions, etc.
    <em>@VisiGod 94432 wrote:</em><blockquote>You are right, but they don’t care.</blockquote>

David Steadson Friend

<em>@unixboymd 94441 wrote:</em><blockquote>Actually, if you had read the site / clubs Terms of Use then you would have noticed the following:[/quote]

Such disclaimers are actually pretty worthless from a legal perspective, but that’s not really the point anyway.

<em>@unixboymd 94441 wrote:</em><blockquote>That pretty much covers JA from legal action when it comes to you not being able to use their templates or extensions. Please remember, you are not paying your hard earned money to actually purchase the templates or extensions. You are paying for access to download them.[/quote]

Irrelevant. I’m paying to access something that does not work as advertised.

And since JA has the templates / extensions working on their servers and offers installation & configuration guides, support forums, email support, etc. and even goes so far as to provide you with an exact copy of each templates entire working site (via Quick Start so that you can install and compare with your own installation)

If you read the thread then you’d see that neither the “demo” nor the “quickstart” work properl with community builder. I myse

Perhaps, if those of you stopped complaining and were actually a little proactive in your support requests then your questions would be answered in a timely manner. And by proactive, I mean providing all necessary and pertinent information in the very first post of your support request (e.g. Joomla! version, template name and version, all your installed extension versions, server configuration, what you have done to troubleshoot the problem yourself, what custom modifications you have made to your server, your site, your template, your extensions, etc.</blockquote>

I didn’t start this thread, but again if you’d actually read the thread the first poster DOES say it’s the quickstart package – ie no mods etc.

A number of users have commented about this problem in various different threads and as best I can tell the only “offical”? response was the first one from a moderator (developer?) saying if you wanted to use community builder with the template, then you need to hack it. The “ad” for the template says –

<blockquote>We keep all core functional features of FireBoard forum and Community Builder unchanged as the two great components prove to be strong and effective in maintaining online community, even in case of large-scale expansion.</blockquote>

This is blatantly false, the template does not use the “core functional features” of CB and, as pointed out above, not using the CB login means you will very very quickly find even “small-scale expansion” disasterous.

You can defend the developers as much as you like, but folk are paying money to obtain something that simply doesn’t work as advertised.

unixboymd Friend

Once again, you are paying for ACCESS, not the actual physical template or extensions – whether they work as advertised or not. And once again, as stated in the TOU these tempaltes / etensions are “as is”.

As far as obtaining something “as is” – how will that not hold up in a court of law? For example, if you were to buy a used car that was sold “as is” would you really expect it to function like a new one and not have any problems? But that’s just my take on it.

And how does it not work as advertised? On the templates description page it states “bringing together FireBoard forum and Community Builder”. This template brought them together and no where does it state there won’t be problems or issues or that you won’t need to make changes yourself.

From what I saw of the template, it does bring together the core functions of CB and FB. Do you care to explain on what you mean by “disasterous”? How is using a hacked version of the default Joomla! login going to cause turmoil, as opposed to using the CB login?

Doesn’t the hacked default login redirect to the CB registration page? And if it doesn’t why not just change the link so that it does. I mean really is it a big deal? After all the module is already hacked anyways (and I did this many times in Joomla 1.0). Is there some other functionality that the CB login module provides that I’m not aware of? How is it a disasterous to just use the “merge” function in CB so that both user tables are merged?

David Steadson Friend

<em>@unixboymd 94712 wrote:</em><blockquote>Once again, you are paying for ACCESS, not the actual physical template or extensions – whether they work as advertised or not. And once again, as stated in the TOU these tempaltes / etensions are “as is”.[/quote]

And “as is” cannot be established until after purchase. It’s called “enticement” and there’s clearly a “failure to inform”

<em>@unixboymd 94712 wrote:</em><blockquote>As far as obtaining something “as is” – how will that not hold up in a court of law? For example, if you were to buy a used car that was sold “as is” would you really expect it to function like a new one and not have any problems? But that’s just my take on it.[/quote]

You honestly think it’s ok to advertise a car as coming with a stereo when it doesn’t, and that you’re covered because you said “sold as is”? Don’t be silly.

And how does it not work as advertised? On the templates description page it states “bringing together FireBoard forum and Community Builder”. This template brought them together and no where does it state there won’t be problems or issues or that you won’t need to make changes yourself.

What don’t you understand about doesn’t work? Clearly “bringing together” implies “working together”.

From what I saw of the template, it does bring together the core functions of CB and FB.
    Do you care to explain on what you mean by “disasterous”? How is using a hacked version of the default Joomla! login going to cause turmoil, as opposed to using the CB login?

Clearly you haven’t understood the issue here. CB requires the use of cb_login, otherwise you end up with disparate datesets.

Doesn’t the hacked default login redirect to the CB registration page?

Do you mean the one that comes with the quickstart package? No, creating an account from the front page login does not direct to the CB registration page. Similarly “forget password” and “forget username” do not query the CB database.

And if it doesn’t why not just change the link so that it does. I mean really is it a big deal?

And what’s the big deal about admitting the template does not work as advertised and to work properly with CB the template needs to be hacked? What’s more … if the hack is so simple (the ones provided on this forum haven’t worked properly for me) why not simply provide a working package instead of one that doesn’t work?

The fact remains, the template does not work as advertised. You clearly think it’s fine to entice people to buy something under false pretenses. I don’t.

After all the module is already hacked anyways (and I did this many times in Joomla 1.0). Is there some other functionality that the CB login module provides that I’m not aware of? How is it a disasterous to just use the “merge” function in CB so that both user tables are merged?</blockquote>

What are you smoking? Are you seriously suggesting that the webmaster should just do a “merge” every time a new user joins their site? Do you actually design sites that are meant to be used?

loganmandala Friend

<em>@aerador 89937 wrote:</em><blockquote>Wow, I just purchased a new membership to this site and I can believe the lack of support. I put in a premium email ticket and we’ll see what happens.

I’m having issues all around with Joomla 1.5 + CB. After looking all over the net i’ve found a few places where people are having the same issues as I am and the developers around have said it a bug in Joomla 1.5 that’s giving people problems with CB. Even people who have been running CB and Joomla 1.5 for awhile all of a sudden don’t work after their hosts upgrade php or mysql.

For me, the whole reason I purchased the subscription was for the Quickstart that went to this “Community Site”. The demo is beautiful and I can get my site to look and act just like the demo however just like the demo users can not login nor can they register after so many users have registered. I’m on my 7th install in 2 days of this thing and it’s the same everytime. I did 4 Quickstart installs and 3 fresh installs all with the same result.

With the fresh installs I downloaded CB right from their site, fresh MySQL Database, Joomla 1.5, etc. And it’s the same results which got me looking around at other forums for a solution to which with hundreds of people having the same problem there still is no solution other than it’s a bug in Joomla 1.5s file id, or article id handling that’s causing it.

Given this is not something JA can fix most likely however my issue is with them packaging a ready to go quickstart version of this when this combo of Joomla 1.5 + CB isn’t working correctly for so many other out there as it isn’t for me. I’m now 2 days behind schedule on this project and may have to get a refund and just look for another platform to use…

I guess I ramble a bit but I thought you all should know about Joomla 1.5 + CB so you don’t waste days searching for a solution like I have.</blockquote>

I had the same problem with CB 1.2 RC2 and i fixed it (if you dowload the last version 1.2 RC4)

I built a complete template package to fit CB 1.2 with Sanidine :
    http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/countdown/#post-282729

Regards

Mike

David Steadson Friend

Mike,
    What have you done to get around the cb_login problem?

ajackman Friend

Once again, you are paying for ACCESS, not the actual physical template or extensions – whether they work as advertised or not. And once again, as stated in the TOU these tempaltes / etensions are “as is”.

Wrong, I’m paying for ACCESS and SUPPORT. If this isn’t the case then why would JA bother to even have a support forum and ticket system?

In this case we are making a reasonbale request fo JA to SUPPORT their product by making coding changes to the existing Quickstart template. This request has been ignored as far as we are aware.

I’m not a coder, if I was I’d code my own templates. I joined JA so that I could deploy a couple of websites easily, without the need to understand too much PHP or ‘hack’ Joomla etc. The Quickstart version does not function as one might expect from viewing the demo. I was not aware that this particular template didn’t work until AFTER I joined. In my books that’s ‘unreasonable’, irrespective of the legalities, but I don’t plan on taking JA to court, that too would be unreasonable.

To take your ‘as-is’ comment to the extreme, JA could simply start producing rubbish templates which don’t work and we (as members) would simply have to suck it up! Why don’t they? Because it would be unreasonable to their members and they would likely not renew their memberships.

What is being requested is for JA to update this template so that it works as it was intended and as prospective customers would see it on the demo. This is a reasonable request, as in my situation, this template is useless.

jamjodesign Friend

I was hoping maybe you had the updated code for this in terms of what is needed in CB 1.2.1 because this file has now changed a bit in the latest release. I tried your code but its a bit screwed in different browsers as I think your code is for cb 1.2

Just hoping that you may have an update to this as I am a newbie

Regards,
    James

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

This topic contains 47 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  jamjodesign 14 years, 10 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum