Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

perdu,

I think your comments are a little unfair TBH. Teline 3 comes with a huge amount of features. Of those features many require their own css, for instance the handheld view, iphone view etc. There is a css file for the editor, there is a css file for ja-bulliten etc. Would you rather these all be in one huge file and you struggle to find or do anything? Everyone is asking for new features, more typography etc but then those same people are complaining when the innevitable bulk occurs.

JA are not deliberately making their templates heavy just to make more money, they are making them this way to keep their users happy.

jonasso Friend

The templates are great, but they should not lose focus on performance.
    I would not complain if JA templates were compatible with RokGZipper, which by the way is free for everyone.

Kind regards,

crazyleggs Friend

i don’t think anyone is arguing the fact that JA templates are bloated and tend to lose performance as more features are added. I guess my view is, if there are known issues with performance with the templates, if you have a solution, then provide it to template holders at no cost. If the concern is that the extension will be open to anyone using Joomla, then make the extension compatible with JA templates only,

I now find myself visiting RocketTheme’s site (JA competitor) and reading up on their free extension and trying to figure out how I can incorporate it into my site. Do you really want your customers browsing other Joomla template sites, and reviewing their way of doing business? How serious do you take your current customer base? I’m not sure who asked for all of the other features in Teline III, but I’m sure someone voiced their concern about performance in the template. How did JA come to the conclusion that they would charge for a performance extension versus the other extensions?

instantinlaw Friend

jonasso;152533The templates are great, but they should not lose focus on performance.
    I would not complain if JA templates were compatible with RokGZipper, which by the way is free for everyone.

Kind regards,

Hello jonasso,
    Ja has some free plugins/modules/components/templates, and some paid. It is Ja’s option to release their software in any manner they wish, just like you do on your site.
    Why don’t you try telling the makers of RokGZipper to make thier plugin compattable with JA templates?
    If you are so convinced that Ja should give away thier software, why don’t you lead the charge by giving away all your software? After all, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander, no? 😉

instantinlaw Friend

crazyleggs;152549i don’t think anyone is arguing the fact that JA templates are bloated and tend to lose performance as more features are added. I guess my view is, if there are known issues with performance with the templates, if you have a solution, then provide it to template holders at no cost. If the concern is that the extension will be open to anyone using Joomla, then make the extension compatible with JA templates only,

I now find myself visiting RocketTheme’s site (JA competitor) and reading up on their free extension and trying to figure out how I can incorporate it into my site. Do you really want your customers browsing other Joomla template sites, and reviewing their way of doing business? How serious do you take your current customer base? I’m not sure who asked for all of the other features in Teline III, but I’m sure someone voiced their concern about performance in the template. How did JA come to the conclusion that they would charge for a performance extension versus the other extensions?

Hello crazyleggs,
    Ja decided to charge for this piece of software and they have the right to do it, after all it’s thier software.
    There are other free and paid plugins for compressing css and javascript on the jed. If you don’t want to buy Ja’s version you could use one of those, or use one of the many compression sites on the web to do it manually.

instantinlaw Friend

perdu;152523They do but it should still be free, template providers in general should really try to make the templates less bloated, I know this is sometimes difficult but there are so many http requests that are unnecessary, take teline 3 as an example there are 22 style sheets which is verging on ridiculous and 12 scripts.

Or an excuse to make the templates even more bloated so that we are forced to part with more money in an attempt to make our sites load within reasonable speed 😉

You could use one of the lite templates and then bloat or price wouldn’t be a problem for you.

jonasso Friend

instantinlaw,

I meant that it should be free for Template Club members, not to everyone.
    I see it’s no use to talk about it and I regret I started this discussion.

Kind regards,

crazyleggs Friend

Way to go for addressing your customers concerns in a positive manner!
    Note taken!

instantinlaw Friend

jonasso;152683instantinlaw,

I meant that it should be free for Template Club members, not to everyone.
    I see it’s no use to talk about it and I regret I started this discussion.

Kind regards,

You need to keep in mind that Ja gives away all kinds of free extensions with the templates. They have recently branched out to include an extensions club as well and they have a right to sell the extension if they want.

You are free to voice your opinions in the forum. I was just kind of supprised to see your comment when you yourself charge for your extensions.

Thanks

instantinlaw Friend

crazyleggs;152685Way to go for addressing your customers concerns in a positive manner!
    Note taken!

crazyleggs,
    I am a volunteer moderator, but beyond that I don’t see what the big hooplah is about Ja giving away this extension because there are other options if you don’t want to pay for it.
    Here are just a few…
    1. Find another free or paid extension. (I’ve been using another one on one of my sites for about a year now).
    2. use an online compression site and compress the files yourself.
    3. Become a developer member and download all the Ja extensions you want.
    4. Use one of Ja’s lighter templates.
    5. download a copy from a warez site and hope there is no rogue code added.
    You’re welcome.

zorroh Friend

ja compress kills frontpage editors..

geti Friend

I’m not coming down on anybodies side on this issue as to whether or not this extension should be free or not but, from a marketing point of view, the possible repeat business that could be generated by increasing the load time for a web page could be in excess of the sales from the extension. If JA were to give away an extension this would be a much more beneficial one to give away with regard to retaining and gaining customers.

xyzb Friend

I just use Yahoo Developer CSS/JS compressions tools on my files when I decide what I’m going to use on a template.

dacapo Friend

Thank you very much for making me a lot of work with this super-bug extension!
    I made the fault to rely on JA (allways telleing the highest qualitiy ……) and put it on several domains.

Now I can control hundreds of pages to eleminate psossible css faults!

Or do you call this optimization ? Only few examples of the bullshit i have now on my pages

Maybe you say, thats not a JA template ( ….it should work on every template, shouldn´t it ? )

Here is a example of a ja-drimia-template … not showing css at all after installation …

should look like this

I made screenshost because it is clear that i cannot leav destroyed pages till somone
    will have a look on the domain themselfes.

I know that css can be sensible, but then please tell me before that this is a extension
    that will not work on haf of my domains!

Maybe there will attack me as usual ja-followers like hungry wolfes because criticate any holy
    ja-work seems like a criminal act, but i am today kind of tired.
    installing another extension for backups worked for every joomla-installation…
    .—- almost … ja installation gave me back errors at all where i used the ja-quickstart installation!

Phill Moderator

Did you actually read the first post in this thread.

“As a beta version, you must use it at your own risk. Things should be fine with CSS merge, however Javascript merge & compress can raise problem if your website use many javascript.
    DO NOT use it for livesite unless you have tested them carefully
    If your website are not rendered correctly, try to disable JS merge, or put important js file on the exception list

Hung did warn all that this is a beta version. I also do not see what the problem is as simply disabling the plugin will restore the site to its original state.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

This topic contains 39 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  dpapan 13 years, 10 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum