Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)
  • Author

My experience with both is that the operating system is more stable. Even XP on a Pentium is not as stable as either OS 9 or OS X on the Mac. The OS X system is powerful and very stable. I work in an environment where all machines are PCs and I am amazed at how much work has to be done to keep them all going.

pauljordon Friend

Age old debate is right!

I’ve been using a PC since 1982 and it makes it very hard to change. That said, I am seriously considering the move because of the awesome power of the Mac with video production.

It’s interesting when you look at the poll that the numbers are sort of 1/3 to 2/3 whereas if you have a look at operating systems in your stats, Mac users would be lucky to represent 10%. Perhaps more Joomla ppl are getting into the Mac!

Cheers,

ryanasr Friend

Recently changed from PC to using my gf’s MAC. Am now definately a MAC man, everything is just so easy and all the things you need are standard. Great for design and hardly ever freezes like a PC. Can’t wait for the new Macbook Pro to come out!

wwwebbrowser Friend

I have to say that I still find the Mac a more trouble-free, pleasant computing experience. The problem, even after all these years, is still the lack of some critical software apps for the Mac. I now skirt that issue by running a virtual windows machine for those times when I absolutely must use a Windows only application.

That’s still a bit of a pain, but much better than in years past.

bluepig Friend

Most of softwares and adapters are usually compatible with PC than MAC so its really something that needs a lot of adjustments because PC can be upgraded anytime. 🙂

metamar Friend

My pc has both Snow leopard installed and Windows xp pro and Windows x64.
    I am running it on a 4 processor motherboard with 4 gigs ram and I use it for:
    Snow leopard (Mac): Book writing, editing joomla templates online, graphics editing and other relaxing work. Its like a new car.
    X64: 3d rendering an graphics editing. nothing beats it for intensive rendering.
    Windows XP: Local editing of webpages. This is where I start the foundation of a website and then I switch to other systems when the bulk is ready. I also do music recording here as my studio sound card is not supported by mac.

My best dream workstation would only be on a Mac. If only I had enough cash to get a mac compatible sound card for studio recording. If only I could install a Joomla and Magento template locally: that would make me switch right away.

I must have reinstalled my XP a couple of times since last summer because of viruses or adwares/spyware problems. I usually feel a drop in computer speed or other glitches after a few months of using windows.

But… My mac is still pure and fast and gorgeous. She’s the girlfriend you fear will leave you one day. Windows is more like a french hooker. 😀

I can always upgrade my mac hybrid. ANYTIME

Total cost of my machine:300$ + XP + X64 +OSX licenses

hairdryers Friend

I have always used a PC except in the early days of the Apple II. My daughter has a MAC laptop. When she asks for help on it, it takes me quite a while to figure out where things are as compared to on a PC where I have much more experience. I suppose if I had more experience on a MAC, that would make all the difference.

metamar Friend

I guess the thing for me and many others that haved worked more than 10 years on windows is that Snow leopard is like a whole new world, a breath of fresh air.

When a customer needs aproject to be done at the last minute and for some reason my xp is bugged up, I get butterflies in my stomach. But nowadays I know my MAC OS is there waiting for me on my 2nd hard drive, with all my adobe and office programs loaded. It’s reassuring to know viruses don’t swarm you like on windows. And the new Ipad! Lying down on your bed or couch to study with a pad like that is a dream! Like reading a book its so enjoyable and intuitive. That intuition really makes you fall in love with Macs.

bonitak Friend

I have had issues with both, so I really can’t say one is more reliable than the other. I would give my hat to PC though, as you can custom build your own and have a great computer for a lot cheaper than Mac. I think Mac should open up its hardware to be more accessible and less of a monopoly, and then I might think more about it.

joejao Friend

I made the leap to a Macbook last year, so glad I did! Never have had to worry about BSOD!

kristianmetzger Friend

I’d say macs are better for the graphic design side and pcs are better for the web design/dev side. For PC you’ve got all the free “Express” apps for Visual Studio,

One serious point for webdesigners is this:

On a Mac, you can run both Windows and Mac OS X (and linux), which lets you test your designs in 100% of desktop web-browsers in use, whereas with Windows only (well, and linux) you get about 90%.

tommypetter Friend

Been using macs since 1995. To those who use a mac, an explanation is unnecessary, to those who use a pc, an explanaition is impossible…

A mac is made with love and respect for a user who can appreciate good design and functionality. A pc is ok, but it lacks that little something, that little extra, enthusiasm. Poeple who love macs often see the value of a beautifully crafted thing.

Why is Mercedes a better car than a Ford? For some people there is no difference, they are both cars, and the Ford is cheaper, so they buy the Ford. For those who buy the Mercedes it is about the feeling, the star on the hood etc etc. The feeling of the car, the quality, the history etc. Others don’t care, they just want a car.

alevoor Friend

<em>@nefar 138071 wrote:</em><blockquote>These days the only real difference between a mac and a PC is the operating system and of course Macs insane markup. You’re paying for it’s “pretty” packaging and commercials. OS X is fast and more “user friendly” no doubt about it. I am by no means a fan of windows. However, I build my own systems and could build multiple very good machines for the price of a single Mac. I also have the choice of not using windows as well depending on what I’m using the machine for so I’ll stick to building my “PC’s” ;)</blockquote>

I keep hearing a lot about MAC and the OS X but it’s a pity that apple doesn’t sell OS alone. Why don’t they think in terms of some kind of universal OS that can work on PCs also?
    diy solar panels
    😎

itgl72 Friend

I have no problem with the MAC, I just prefer the PC.

jasonpainter Friend

I have always been a PC guy myself…I do have an iphone though.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)

This topic contains 83 replies, has 63 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 12 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum