Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 379 total)
  • Author

I think this is a good decision

I also agree with the suggestion about retiring templates or support for older templates.

some of the older templates should be moved to the free category with no support

==========================

[FONT=”Fixedsys”]I am concerned about the registration of domain process and how that will work,

What if I build a prototype and the client rejects the template and I end up using one from onother company, Now I have a domain registered with JA that does not have one of your templates on it and I have used up my domain allotment.

Will this be addressed????[/FONT]

VisiGod Friend

mj1256

Yes, I would support even granting these for free, but by the end of the day, that is a business decision of JA.

mj1256 Friend

OH, i realize that, but the older ones in my opinion have lost their value as they do not reflect the newer functionality, styling and concepts of the newer ja templates. They are simple and obsolete and appear to be simple blog formats. But from a marketing/sales point of view, they could be used to introduce new customers to the club. (you know, “come ons” or “sales bait”)

safarimark Friend

Great decision on changing the frequency! I look forward to seeing what you guys can come up with. Also, when you go into the think-tank, make sure you incorporate video with playlist features into the templates.

– Mark

tanisha Friend

If you are going to change the templates from 2 to 1 template/s a month then how will each member that has paid for 2 templates a month membership (which will last past August 2009) be compensated?

markb1439 Friend

I don’t like the automatic registration idea. I abide by license restrictions and I don’t mind spending money for the templates I use (and I have memberships in three clubs). But I often experiment and do mockups on several dead domains and subdomains. Most of those are never seen by the public, and I don’t like the idea of those now burning up my allowable domains, and having to manage that.

I don’t like any component on my site “phoning home.” Please reconsider that. You say you’re doing this to make it easier for us. I’m sure you’re actually doing it to prevent misuse. But for those of us who will not misuse, this certainly isn’t easier than taking a few seonds to sign up a domain.

perdu Friend

I echo the sentiments above and would probably not renew my membership.

TomC Moderator

<em>@terp 72555 wrote:</em><blockquote>Does this mean that you’ll then have more time to create fresh designs and stop repackaging the same old stuff like we’ve been seeing every month (to include the most recent Ja Fargus revisited)?</blockquote>
    Would love to see YOU try to create something better.

lcristian Friend

I think SUPPORT is the key here.
    Even if you create 1 or 1000 templates per month, if you offer less or no support, people will not join anymore.
    I am fresh member but I see each day people with no knowledge posting in this forum for bugs, problems, howto’s and so on (includin myself).
    Before doing 2 or more templates / month, make sure that the one that already exists are free of bugs and you’ll make your members happy and confident.;)

markb1439 Friend

Yes, I won’t renew if this licensing mechanism is in place. What if it malfunctions? The last thing I need is for my mission-critical site to be inaccessible to my clients because of a licensing error.

I think many people will be fine with the number of templates, but not with the licensing mechanism.

JA, look around. Your competitors don’t have the licensing mechanism…there is a reason for that.

parpar Friend

i agree one really good temlpate per month is better
    good job, guys

bossep Friend

This is a gutsy move and I suspect you will get some sour critics for it. Newer the less I support this to 100% as I have posted in several occasions in the forums.
    Observations: JA has moved from producing good looking but simple TEMPLATES to actual APPLICATIONS that runs on Joomla.
    BUT I don’t think your follow up has followed the pace of complexity.
    Just a few things I expect after this decision.
    1. Better follow up on BUGS. There is not such a thing as a bug free application when it is first released. Many of them don’t show until the users start to use them in ways you didn’t anticipated.

2. Update patches. We need to be able to update our applications after bug fixes and when new versions are produced. We can’t start from scratch with a new Quick start that over wrights everything.

3. An updated change log. We need to know what has been changed and ware.

4. Consider some kind of alpha, beta testing before you release a template. This will avoid a lot of frustration and angry postings in the forums. Let us users help you in an orderly way.

The licensing: Well as long as you don’t create any crazy back links to yourself! This is something you have to watch out for. As people like me is concerned of the forward back link ratio. As you know Google and others penalize you if you have too many forward links, especially if they go to BAD sites according to them. I don’t suggest that you are one of them, the contrary but you should leave it up to us. The Powered by HighSlide is a bad example.
    Once again Congratulations for this decision!

Bosse

one7media Friend

I was totally against the first mention of switching from 2 to 1 templates per month because it would have been an immediate change and mid-subscription for a lot of members.

I’m all for this change because of the advanced notice. However, I probably won’t renew if the licensing mechanism is in place because I too like to build mock ups on sub-domains or other testing domains, and I always keep a clone of my sites for testing, new designs, etc…

The bottom line, it’s JA’s prerogative to install automated licensing, but I think it will be a regretful business decision.

markb1439 Friend

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think you are making a big mistake by reducing the number of templates. By doing that, you are eliminating your biggest competitive advantage.

Based on what I’ve seen in various forums around the web, many people view your service as inferior to RocketTheme and YOOtheme. The perception seems to be that those services offer great templates and service (although I have my own opinions about RT support).

The perception about JA seems to be that some of the templates are great, while others are not-so-great, or are simply rehashes of previous designs. In addition, JA support doesn’t have a particularly good reputation. The only saving grace is that JA currently gives twice the quantity of other services. That is your main competitive advantage.

Since people view you as inferior to other services in terms of quality and support, eliminating the extra value will eliminate any advantage you have over the other services. You will be viewed as the third-place choice in every respect.

Eliminating this value could easily cost you hundreds of subcribers (existing members and potential new customers), If you lose 500 customers at an average of $15 a month (estimated), that’s $90,000 a year. I actually think the loss could be much more.

If I were you, I’d invest some of that potential lost revenue into hiring additional staff and making sure I offered two of the best possible templates each month, along with the best possible support. That is the only way you can possibly gain a lead over your competition. If you’re content with third place, cut the number of templates in half and keep your support the way it is. But if you really want to advance your position, your current plans are absolutely the wrong way to do it.

By cutting the number of templates in half, you are giving people only have as much incentive as they now have to subscribe to your service. And by adding automated licensing, you are giving people another huge reason to go elsewhere.

Instead of saying, “We can’t offer two high-quality templates a month,” I would suggest saying, “We will become the best value in Joomla templates by offering twice as much as our competitors: two ultra-high-quality templates per month, backed by the best support available.”

Sure, that will cost you money. But it probably won’t cost you nearly as much money as you’re going to lose if you move forward with your new strategies.

Getting two templates per month was the number one reason I subscribed to your service. Why take away your best selling point?

mfcphil Friend

<em>@markb1439 72814 wrote:</em><blockquote>Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think you are making a big mistake by reducing the number of templates. By doing that, you are eliminating your biggest competitive advantage.
    </blockquote>

Quality over Quantity will win every day of the week and JoomlArts Quality of template is by far their biggest competitive advantage.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 379 total)

This topic contains 379 replies, has 92 voices, and was last updated by  ukash 11 years, 11 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum