Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Hi Everyone

Teline II and Joomla 1.5.3

Today I tried something that I’ve done many times before with no problems, but today, a real problem and it’s resulted in a mess to my front page:

What I did:

Firstly, I copied the module “banners”. I modified this module to publish in “User5” position, to replace the video module (I unpublished the video module and publish the banner module).

I assigned the new module to a new Banner Category which contains the banners for this position. The banners for this Category are created to correct size and published.

So, what has happened to this layout? Plus, what has happened to the three ‘tabs’ that I still have published in “User6” position as they have dissapeared?

Any help gratefully received to put this right!!
    Thanks
    Chris

cgc0202 Friend

Chris,

Actually, I reported a similar situation, a week or so ago in regard my attempt to integrate a Shout Box module into Joomla 1.0x-JA Teline II. [Note, this problem was not encountered in Joomla 1.0x-original JA Teline.’

The Bottom line, when the Shout Box was added, the modules that you stated also disappeared, all the other modules were not affected. The layout may or may not be radically affected depending on the position of the Shout Box module.

The problem goes away if the added module was unpublished. I assumed you tried this already?

In regard the ShoutBox module, the destruction of the layout is not unique with Joomlart templates. I expereienced it also with my installation of this module in Gavick templates. In the Gavick templates, the layout may or may not be radically affected depending on the position of the Shout Box module.

Unlike the vanishing modules observed with the JA Teline II, there was not such observation with the Gavick templates — all the modules were there, the layout was just messed up.

After much playing around where the Shoutbox may be included, the only solution was to have it in a separate page but not the Home Page of the Gavick template.

In the case of the vanishing templates in JA Teline II, Instantalaw (in another thread) sspeculated that it might be incompatibility of the scripts, which is a known issue when using third party extensions. However, in your situation, the original module that you copied was already working previously with modules that vanished.

It is obvious — from how the position of the added module affect the layout — that this may again be another layout (divs, spans, tabs) incompatibility. Unfortunately, troubleshooting this is more trickly. Supposedly, some of the Moderators and more experienced users have used a Firefox extension that can help debug any errant tags, not having its counterpart.

The other possible cause of this may be a case of meta-instability — that is why it comes and goes, or it happens only in the Home page (a very complex page) but not the simpler pages inside. If you ever watched any of those “movie clips” coming from a slow server and uploaded into your own computer at sluggish speed (this may be an interrnet highway gridlock) — many of the individual shots do not show.

In the case of the website, especially the Home Page, it must be created literally from thousands of files summoned from hundreds of directories and subdirectors. Using the “movie clips”, if the various components are not assemble the whole page, some key features might not be retrieved in time. Either the page will stall, or come up with a virtual page — based from what it had collated.

If you noticed the multitab module, it is usually the last one that gets a proper layout — thus the up and down move of the components in the right side.

Cornelio

questbg Friend

Hi Cornelio

<em>@cgc0202 61789 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    The problem goes away if the added module was unpublished. I assumed you tried this already?
    </blockquote>

If I ‘unpublish’ the banner module in ‘User5’ position, then the latest/popular/media tabs reappear at the top of the right hand column, no problem

I then tried changing the banners to ‘user6’ and the ‘tabs’ up into ‘user5’ which created an even worse mess than before.

Any Moderators know how to fix this please?

I’ve left it published set to the positions I require so you can see how bad it looks!

Test site URL:
    http://www.joomla.questbg.com

Thanks
    Chris

questbg Friend

Forgot to mention. It’s exactly the same on every single level of pages:

Front Page
    Section Page
    Category Page
    Article Page

Menalto Friend

Can you try to put just one banner in that position?Make a custom html module and add the banner in

questbg Friend

<em>@Menalto 61998 wrote:</em><blockquote>Can you try to put just one banner in that position?Make a custom html module and add the banner in</blockquote>

Hi Menalto

OK, I created a custom module and imported one of the ‘demo’ graphics as a banner.

Published this in user5 position and unpublished the 4 banners that were existing.

Problem still exists:

Also strange … to the ‘right’ side of the graphic used, there’s something strange happening, seems to me that it could be the ‘tabs’ trying to get into that space there?

Menalto Friend

Not sure if this will work, but if you open the index.php file and find this here:

<jdoc:include type="modules" name="user5" style="xhtml" />
    And change it to this:

<jdoc:include type="modules" name="user5" style="raw" />

Just let me know when you have changed so i can take a closer look at it

questbg Friend

Thanks Menalto (yet again!)

Well, it did change something, but not sure what and didn’t solve the problem!

Seems those ‘tabs’ are still trying to force their way into user5 position, even though they are assigned to user6 position (where they belong!!).

Seems we need a ‘clearer break’ between user5 and user6 to force those tabs into their rightful home!!

Thanks
    Chris

Menalto Friend

Are you able to give me super admin access? I just gonna try out something there. And set it up as you gonna have it,since if i find a solution to it its final:p

questbg Friend

Done! 😉

PM en-route!

Sherlock Friend

Hi questbg !
    Have you fixed the problem ? I have looked into your site , it seems to be ok.

questbg Friend

Update:

Our good friend and all-round top-Mod Menalto has been in the site and had a hack around … my sincere thanks Menalto.

His findings “what i did was to add specific width on the tabs, i added a div around the user5 module wich i set a height and width on”

Now, this leaves us with the following situation:

1. Publishing a ‘custom’ module into User5 after Menalto’s modifcation, tabs working OK:

2. Publishing a ‘banner’ module into User5, tabs no longer work:

So, in the words of one of my favourite songwriters “Where do we go from here?”
    🙂

Menalto Friend

Get the beer ready, its almost weekend…. Now it works with the banner module;)

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@Menalto 62120 wrote:</em><blockquote>Get the beer ready, its almost weekend…. Now it works with the banner module;)</blockquote>

Congratulations Menalto!

Chris must have that needle hurting his toes removed, for a change. It really is doing quite well Chris. It is amazing how much progress you made.

Now, if only we know the solution. Could you please provide a more visual (step by step) procedure of the solution, Chris?

Menalto: maybe you can help solve mine too. I have to replicate it in another site though because there might be a security breach in my main account.

Cornelio

Chris,

I read your email. When I woke up this morning though, I cannot get in to my site with my password. I hope someone did not get in, and it is not related to the other issue I told you.

I am able to get in now, but I cannot change the automated password, for some reason. It is a risk not too — so that has to be resolved before I can do anything.

Cornelio

questbg Friend

<em>@Menalto 62120 wrote:</em><blockquote>Get the beer ready, its almost weekend…. Now it works with the banner module;)</blockquote>

Menalto, thank you. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, you’re a genius! 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

This topic contains 30 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  anaivelisse 15 years, 10 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum