Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

hi,

as cornelio wrotes in hies message (see here http://www.joomlart.com/forums/showthread.php?p=38104#post38104 ) we, many of the teline users 😉 want to tell joomlart that they should convert teline as one of the first template to 1.5!

please use the voting, thanks!

and put ‘us 😉 ‘ please in the first row *LOL*

bigrk Friend

The way this poll is set up currently I really do not see a clear direction as to what is really wanted. Sure, I would like to see Teline updated sooner rather than later but your options for voting are confusing and not very well explained. So I didn’t vote. :confused:

“JA Teline as it is to 1.5” – I really don’t think this is possible in Joomla 1.5.
    “JA Teline with some new features to 1.5” – What kind of new features?
    “JA Teline with Features (ask us first wich ones) 1.5” – Once again, which new features?
    “JA Teline Menalto (see post)” – Where and what is JA Teline Menalto?See what post?
    “please put JA Teline in TOP PLACE of the forum” – Which forum are you referring to?

There are a few votes already but I’m not convinced that the voters really know what they have voted for. The original post you are referring to here doesn’t explain anything about this poll either.

danstoc Friend

sorry, but think at…

1. there is no problem to make a 1.x template ready for 1.5… the same teline for 1.5 , why there should be a problem? and if there is any problem… the designers here should not say that ALL TEMPLATES will the converted!
    2. new features… i think they have enough ideas for a new teline… so give them a chance and let them do the work.
    3. read the poll… just post what you want in the new version… or you don’t give any ideas when someone asks you for your opinion?
    4. as menalto has post some things he has done… and you had a message there to :-[ have a look http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/teline-ii-aint-coming-for-a-looooong-time-folks/
    so read the thread again, maybe you understand what i mean…

in wich forum… oh, maybe the rockettheme forum? or templateplazza or yootheme?

sometimes we want to much… just easy, okay 😉

bigrk Friend

<em>@danstoc 38172 wrote:</em><blockquote>sorry, but think at…

1. there is no problem to make a 1.x template ready for 1.5… the same teline for 1.5 , why there should be a problem? and if there is any problem… the designers here should not say that ALL TEMPLATES will the converted!
    2. new features… i think they have enough ideas for a new teline… so give them a chance and let them do the work.
    3. read the poll… just post what you want in the new version… or you don’t give any ideas when someone asks you for your opinion?
    4. as menalto has post some things he has done… and you had a message there to :-[ have a look http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/teline-ii-aint-coming-for-a-looooong-time-folks/
    so read the thread again, maybe you understand what i mean…

in wich forum… oh, maybe the rockettheme forum? or templateplazza or yootheme?

sometimes we want to much… just easy, okay ;)</blockquote>

1. Go read this page http://dev.joomla.org/content/view/2013/93/. As stated on this page:

“Joomla 1.5 does not provide an upgrade path from earlier versions. Converting an older site to a Joomla 1.5 site requires creation of a new empty site using Joomla 1.5 and then populating the new site with the content from the old site. This migration of content is not a one-to-one process and involves conversions and modifications to the content dump.”
    dev.joomla.org/component/option,com_jd-wp/Itemid,33/p,107/

This has been a deliberate choice to minimize the number of users who might attempt the “overwrite the files” technique. More can be found in the forum:

“Joomla 1.5 is so significantly changed from 1.0 that there is no ‘upgrade’ path. This is the reason that we are providing a migration path. The concept is to build a new site and to migrate data from the old site. Extensions need to be installed and configured as if the site is new. The core data migration does reconstruct menu items for core elements and also keeps core module records with configuration settings.”
    David Gal – forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,63232.0.html

So getting back to what I said was I don’t think the existing Teline as it is will be an easy path mainly because of the JA News Module. This is my opinion.

2. All I asked was what are the new features that you want people to vote on in the Poll?

3. I have read this Poll thread and there are three posts on this page as I write. Who has asked me for an opinion?

4. There are a couple of ideas there but what I asked was “Where and what is JA Teline Menalto?See what post?” I still don’t know what JA Teline Menalto is and where an example of it is.

5. “please put JA Teline in TOP PLACE of the forum” – Okay I know that it would be here on JA somewhere but TOP PLACE of the forum where? Which forum here on JA? Listed are the following forums on JA:

Forum
    JoomlArt Public Forums
    JA Members Exchange – Restricted to Members Only (Forum)
    Templates Club Member Forums – Restricted to Members Only (Forum)
    Extensions Club Member Forums – Restricted to Members Only (Forum)
    JoomlArt Extensions Discussion (Forum)
    JA Developers Lounge (Forum)

So which forum do you want to move it to the top of and why? What is the purpose of doing this?

So it is pretty clear that this poll and the options are neither clear or expressive enough to warrant a vote. So I didn’t vote. So your implication that I am some kind of idiot does not go over very well with me. I think the manner of the way that this poll is being presented is idiotic.

horacio Friend

i say they need some time to get tings straight with joomla 1.5 stable.

Hung Dinh Friend

Hi all,
    It is an interesting discussion, here are what
    1. JA Teline as it is to 1.5 This is possible and we are on it now 🙂
    2. JA Teline with some new features to 1.5
    3. JA Teline with Features (ask us first wich ones) 1.5

I think we should merge this 2 quesitions into one. Is it asking the same question? If you guys have any cool idea, let’s share
    JA Teline Menalto (see post) – It’s nice to have another version of Teline but we will wait for the demo and sample from Menalto, I will talk to him about this.
    please put JA Teline in TOP PLACE of the forum – Teline can be on the priority order of Templates Club Member Forums – Restricted to Members if we decide to put template in the order of popularity.

cgc0202 Friend

I hope the intentions of Dan to start the poll should not be misinterpreted. We have one main goal:

Request the Joomlart staff to include Teline in the top tier if not the first to be modified.

And, I think we have achieved that already based on the response of Hung Dinh. Thanks Hung. So we should not be creating divisions among us Teline users, about technicalities. Let us not insult the intelligence of all those who responded. It may be true that some might not have understood and yet, voted.

Initially, I was confused myself, but then when I thought more about it, I think what Dan was trying to do in the choices for the Poll was integrate the various suggestions by those who responded to post of TeeTide’s post.

I was about to ask Dan to clarify and change it to so that the choices are more clear — but the way I look at it, everyone who is interested to voice themselves will be counted in the total count — and that is what matters.

What we should focus on now — after we vote — is to respond to the offer of Hung to share ideas with the Joomlart staff — so that they could improve Teline.

Cornelio

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@Hung Dinh 38205 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi all,
    It is an interesting discussion, here are what
    1. JA Teline as it is to 1.5 This is possible and we are on it now 🙂

I think we should merge this 2 quesitions into one. Is it asking the same question? If you guys have any cool idea, let’s share
    JA Teline Menalto (see post) – It’s nice to have another version of Teline but we will wait for the demo and sample from Menalto, I will talk to him about this.
    please put JA Teline in TOP PLACE of the forum – Teline can be on the priority order of Templates Club Member Forums – Restricted to Members if we decide to put template in the order of popularity.</blockquote>

Thanks Hung. We do want to share our ideas. Let me clarify what I think Dan was trying to say in the choices for the poll. He may correct me, if I misinterpreted.

1. JA Teline as it is to 1.5

No need to alter layout or add any new features, just the needed modification of the Teline script to make compatible with Joomla 1.5. We all know that a new “Teline/Joomla 1.5 QuickStart Package” may likely have some bugs, so it is good if Joomlart would do its best, present it to the users for troubleshooting.

[My contribution to this is to prepare a detailed procedure for the Easy Install of the JA Teline QuickStart Package — intended for users who have no background in scripting. However, I sure would like to see a detaied procedure for installing the two separately — Joomla 1.5 first, then integrate teh JA Teline, including the default database.]

They are related but not the same. The 2nd choice is more the standard scenario where Joomlart develops another variant of Teline, and then after the fact, ask the customers to try it. I think this is the standard way that most template companies do.

The 3rd Choice involves the customers more — focusing on the various and sometimes divergent applications that the many customers may use what is already in JA Teline. For example, what works for TeeTide may not be most suited for that of Dan’s, and most likely different from my own use of the JA Teline.

The 3rd is more time consuming process. Many of us, customers, who do not have the training, expertise and experience in webdesign, scripting, etc., may have some ideas on what we want our respective webpage(s) to look like, but we are unable to “script” what it is that we want.

This is why many of us are interested to know what Menalto have in mind. What would satisfy customers though cannot be achieved by polls to create a compromise new JA Teline II. Those whose needs won’t be met will be clamoring for new JA Teline variants in the future

It may require a rethinking of how templates are made. I for one would recommend a more “modular” approach. It is too long to discuss the “modular approach” here so I will present my own thoughts, elsewhere.

Cornelio

danstoc Friend

@ cgc0202
    your right – we all want the same thing, stopp to discuss and make something!

@ Hung Dinh
    nice to hear that it’s possible to convert teline… even better if you are willing to make a teline 2 with some features that we wish… sounds absolutly perfect, thanks. so then i have to think a bit… and i’m waiting till menalto presents us his teline…

@ bigrk
    we should stop to discuss about this things… i want that we discuss about teline and not about the poll anymore. the next poll i start will be in swiss-german and everything will be fine (if someones can understand swiss-german *LOL*)

teetide Friend

<em>@danstoc 38172 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    </blockquote>

I have personally corresponded with JA numerous times concerning ideas for a revised Teline template. Teline II was to have been the next release after Avian II according to Hung Dunh. Hung Dinh took the Teline II idea to the JA designers who told him they could NOT come up with another Teline design for at LEAST two months. Personally, I don’t think they’ll come up with one in two months or ever for that matter unless they’re pushed hard by this community. The main issue is that they are afraid Teline II would never live up to Teline I. The Head of Design himself told me that. The end result is that they waffle around doing nothing and releasing more marginal use templates each month while cries for a Teline revision remain ignored.

Once they failed to deliver Teline II after Avian II, I was told by JA to basically shut up about Teline II. This tells me that they either have no clue what to do about the community outcry for a Teline II or they just don’t want to touch it. That’s why I turned to the user community in my previous thread titled “Teline II ain’t coming for a loooooong time folks”:

And now you know the rest of the story.

teetide Friend

<em>@Hung Dinh 38205 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi all,

I think we should merge this 2 quesitions into one. Is it asking the same question? If you guys have any cool idea, let’s share </blockquote>

Hung:

For the umpteenth time, my vision is a news template in a portal style with an eye catching headline slideshow (news rotator), photo/video gallery features, and CNN-type styling. The JA news rotator would need to changed to portrait orientation with a “More Top Stories” section to the right of it. The typography would need to be changed to CNN type styling. Module hilites with rounded corners could be added to “modernize” the old stodgy look of Teline. Look at:

http://www.cnn.com
    http://www.cnn.com/poltics

Also, if you haven’t already seen it, look what Raaj has done to this Teline site (note the “Photo” and “More Headlines” sections that were taken from CNN:

http://www.southasianlife.com/ca/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

At the very least, please include the CNN typography and modules for photo/video gallery in the modified 1.5 template.

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@TeeTide 38334 wrote:</em><blockquote>

Also, if you haven’t already seen it, look what Raaj has done to this Teline site (note the “Photo” and “More Headlines” sections that were taken from CNN:

At the very least, please include the CNN typography and modules for photo/video gallery in the modified 1.5 template.</blockquote>

Actually, Joomlart already has introduced their prototype version of the frontpage slideshow — that is found in JA Avian and Avian II, in module form. So, you can install that JA module in JA Teline — for free. However, the Joomlart slideshow is not as well developed as the JoomlaWorks slideshow that was shown in

sothasianLife

I am sure the slideshow module will become more sophisticated one day, but are you willing to wait that long.

There are other alternatives too, all of them you have to buy separately. So, for now, if you are in a hurry, and want such advance version of the slideshow, buy that module from JoomlaWorks for 22 euro only. In the JoomlaWorks website. Iin the Joomla Works forum, there is also a post by a number of the users who know scripting, hacking the slideshow module to use the same slideshow in multiple parts of the page to get the video-rich page that you saw in sothasianLife

I plan to buy it myself, including their “Single Image Gallery”, for only 12 euro, if the group that we are developing here cannot suggest better slideshows.

In fact, if you own any of the Apple computers sold the past two years, there is even more sophisticated softwares to create the slideshows, except I do not think they have been adapted to the Joomla, as a newsportal. Also, I found one that is more sophiticated a few years back that the JoomlaWorks more suited for the tutorials, but I cannot find the link now, and it was not prepared for Joomla.

Cornelio

teetide Friend

Just to clarify, I was talking about the “Photo” section module in the right column that contains the photo galleries. I was not talking about the Frontpage Slideshow. The “Photo” module appears to have come from CNN. Sometimes CNN has “Photo” and other times they have “Video”. Look at http://www.cnn.com in the upper right hand corner and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Having clarified that, I am currently using the Frontpage Slideshow from JoomlaWorks just as you see on the southasianlife site. Version 1.7, which will supposedly be released this week is reported to resolve all the mootools conflict issues that plague the current version. I also plan to use their Simple Image Gallery Pro.

bigrk Friend

I like the Photo Box you created that is just like the CNN style. Personally I am not impressed with the Joomlaworks products and really do not like how the slideshow looks visually. I think JA has a better look for that area. I would like the menu moved to the top and an Ready to Use Video Box on the right as shown in your example for Teline 2. The fonts are also good but those are not that much of a concern. I definitely prefer the existing Teline style for headlines over your example but at the same time I like that look as it is used for the Videos section. The Channels area looks nice as it is. The banner at the top looks terrible though…I would prefer it where the date and sponsored by is now. For the most part though the example site looks pretty hacked up and is overstretched in width with numerous CSS and XHTML errors. I think that it would probably be best to not use the Left User area in your example and see how it looks then. Not a bad effort overall though.

teetide Friend

<em>@bigrk 38364 wrote:</em><blockquote>I like the Photo Box you created that is just like the CNN style.</blockquote>

bigrk, I’m not sure whether you’re talking to me or Cornelio? You do understand that neither of us created http://www.southasianlife.com, right? It’s just a Teline site we found linked on the JoomlaWorks forum.

I can see where you would say the site is getting hacked up. Raaj is constantly adding stuff and I think he’s hit the point of diminishing returns.

Again, my vision is pretty simple and straightforward. Simply take the Teline header and place it on top of a site that looks just like http://www.cnn.com.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  cgc0202 16 years, 3 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum