Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

How Can we use the login and sign up to work with the latest CP?

strongabs Friend

Hi there, I also want to know how to use this template with Community Builder.

mj1256 Friend

is there a solution yet

subfighter Friend

Joomlart please update and Offer a LOGIN that works with CB 1.2?

because then we can have the same look…

mj1256 Friend

Dear Management
    a matter of fact, from a business offering that would set you apart for other providers, the login module is the one piece for cb that would have to come from you if your going to offer modules like the login highslide on teline II. Perhaps its a separate module for download, or a minimal fee for download, it would have an ROI for the development and implementation.

This is really basic marketing if you look at it this way

you offer free templates, paid for templates, free modules/components, paid modules/components, and now the next offering from a business revenue stream model would be “PREMIUM OFFERINGS.”

WOW! a whole new product line

the first could be the CB highslide login module

cgc0202 Friend

Actually, as I argued in another thread, it will require too much of an effort for JoomlArt to create the equivalent of Community Builder, in its entirety; that is as a “Community Builder”.

What I proposed instead is the conversion of the Registration-Login to emulate the features of the Registration-Login of Community Builder — with the ability of the SuperAdmin to “Approve Registration” before they are activated. This is the direction that Joomla itself is taking because there are security risked when one can easily just register into your site. However, for some reason, this initiative is not high priority for Joomla.

Note that the “Registration-Login” is a Joomla issue, not Joomlart. Thus, if Joomlart will not deal with this issue, I proposed in another thread that we should band together, hire someone to write the script for a CB like registration-login feature. Just that, not the entire Community Builder. There were only a few people who want to spend the money though, so I doubt there will be “regular members” lining up to pay for another “paid extension” from Joomlart.

Community Builder integrates nicely with Joomla-Teline II

There is no webdesign rule that states, the registration-login need be at the “Header” region. In fact, aesthetically, as far as I am concerned, it is not the best place. Many templates of Joomlart does not place the “registration-login” at the top either.

If we consider that the Registration-Login need not be where it is located now in Teline II, then if you ever used the Community Builder “Registration-Login” and other related modules (CB WorkFlow and CB Online), these modules blend nicely with Teline II, as modules either in the “left” or “right”.

You can modify the CSS, if you want to improve further blending with Joomla-Teline II.

If you still want thte “Registration-Login” to show prominently at the top, they may be added as “links” in the Magazine Menu, so that clicking either would go to a page that will either provide the login or registration form.

Community Builder (CB) is quasi-“open source”

Joomlapolis claims that CB is open source. So, if it is “free” how in the world will Joomlart compete with that — spend its precious time and manpower, which we can assume is not enough, judging from the “current situation” — and then give away a “CB like” registration-login for free? If they charge any fee at all — $5, $10, etc., I am not sure that there will be members lining up to get their copies. Frankly, I would rather Joomlart spend their time and manpower addressing more pressing issues:

• better literature manuals, “How To’s”, FAQs, etc.
    • release of error-free templates
    • improved support through the forum
    • regular release of “Template (Fix) Patch Updates”

now, if it can do all of the above, and has more time to spare, and wanted to take the “CB-like” registration-login project, then by all means, more power to them.

Cornelio

migors Friend

What could be solution to integrate CB in jatelline II? I was thinking about that, but do not understand what to do.
    Is it possible replace Ja teline login and register with links?

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@migors 76808 wrote:</em><blockquote>What could be solution to integrate CB in jatelline II? I was thinking about that, but do not understand what to do.
    Is it possible replace Ja teline login and register with links?</blockquote>

Yes. There CB has components and three modules for the registration/login and a captcha thrown in.

Displaying the CB forms

The simplest is to include the modules either in the “left” or “right” positions, or even place the “register/login” form in the “user position 5” (horizontal layout and whole span of the right side), if you want it prominently displayed near the top.

Or, using the same horizontal display of CB registration/login, you may place it also in “user position 7” (whole span of the right side). Aesthetically, I like this better, or in some ways the simpler “left” or “right” position for the forms may be more practical, because after the login, the whole form is replaced by the “cryptic message with your username as logged in”. It does not look as good if this is displayed in either “user positions 5 or 7”.

CB registration/login links at the top of the header or Magazine Menu

If you want the “Register” – “Login” to be displayed prominently at the top, you can hack the “index.php” (via FTP):

templates => ja_teline_ii => index.php

to include links above the header. It is against the aesthetic rules of CMS, but who cares, you can do something like this Demo page:

http://joomla-university.org/jte15x010/

where you can do an align left (standard) or align right.

If you are not comfortable hacking the index.php (you can ruin it easily if you are not comfortable with simple scripting and CSS), the safer method is to introduce them as links in the “Magazine” menu or any of the menus, for that matter that you display in your site.

Issues about CB1.2 RC2

The problem actually is not how to display CB but the current version of Community Builder — CB1.2 RC2. First, it is not the “stable” form yet, and that is the greatest stumbling block. Some of the problems encountered are server system and software related.

If you are lucky, you just might have the correct form of the PHP (1.5) or you can seek the assistance of your hosting service. The captcha, if that is critical to you sometimes does not work properly with some PHP versions.

I am not sure if CB1.2 RC2 is already native to Joomla 1.5.x. If it is still legacy, there are some extensions that do not work properly when the “legacy” mode is turned on.

Cornelio

migors Friend

Thanks! I guess CB is only solution to allow for users to have they profiles and user galleries in one place. I have installed My blog and jom comments. From user menu, users can administer they enteries. But no way to make user galleries. It is fine if you can see other users profiles and so on.

Is CB only solution?

mj1256 Friend

I didn’t intend to start a ja-cb rebuild thread

I was just suggesting that JUST the cb login modules with its current functionality and limitations be modified for the highslide login on teline II,

no modifications to functionality at all, its open source, they can modilfy it, but your right, they cannot charge for it.

I also understand and can put the login anywhere i want and modify the css to blend it into the design, I happen to like they way it integrate into the top of the template and the highslide effect that it has. It also free’s up space on the page for other things.

as far as from a usability/navigation standpoint, in my opinion, the login is most effect at the top where it is.

you are correct, the lastest build of cb rc2 is not stable, but 1.1 is and works with both 1.0.15 and j1.5.x just fine

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@migors 76814 wrote:</em><blockquote>Thanks! I guess CB is only solution to allow for users to have they profiles and user galleries in one place. I have installed My blog and jom comments. From user menu, users can administer they enteries. But no way to make user galleries. It is fine if you can see other users profiles and so on.

Is CB only solution?</blockquote>

There are “other” solutions suggested a long time ago by Menalto, that address security or ACL permissions issues. They are commercial though rather than open source. Not that I have anything against commercial extensions, it is just sometimes they are too restrictive and yet their “update” may not be as good.

To give an example, Joomlart uses vBulletin for their Forum, which is very good, but you have to pay vBulletin a very hefty fee annually plus other costs. In contrast, SMF, which can be a standalone or can be “patched” to integrate with Joomla, has already many features that a regular forum site requires, and it is open source. As an individual or as part of a Collaborative Support Group (to minimize per capita support), I would rather support further development of SMF so that it will further catch up with vBulletin. Then, you will not be beholden to the annual or update costs (per domain) incurred with using vBulletin.

Joomlapolis update speed.

I antagonized a few diehard CB users here (I am a user too) because I responded in another thread that Joomlapolis is taking too long to update CB, and could pose a threat to the security of your site, if you do not include a CB registration-login (because it was not compatible with Joomla 1.5.x) and rely on the default registration-login of Joomla.

Consider this, Joomla 1.5.0 was introduced in mid January 2008 and had quite a few development versions well before that. Until now, and I just checked, there is still no “stable” version of CB1.2, it is still CB1.2 RC2, which still has a few “bugs” to fix, based from the postings in the Joomlapolis forum.

The speed of update of any extension is a concern to me because many of the updates in Joomla are security updates. Thus, you might end up choosing not doing any Joomla security update, if an extension become entrenched as a component of your site. Or, if you choose to update, you may have to forego any “incompatible” third party extension.

Cornelio

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@mj1256 76818 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    I was just suggesting that JUST the cb login modules with its current functionality and limitations be modified for the highslide login on teline II,
    </blockquote>

MJ,

Actually, in another thread and a number of posts I wanted something like that also — modify the default Joomla to registration/login to include a key feature of the CB registration/login, admin approval of legitimate and confirmed registration before the registrant can login. This will avoid spamming and perhaps bot registration if a suitable captcha is included. I prefer this over CB also because a “multisite” software indicated incompatibility with some features of “Community Builder” when it includes its internal “plugin” admin.

I find the slow load of Joomla 1.5.x a great stumbling block. The current state of the internet makes any visitor impatient (and most likely leave), if a page takes more than 10 seconds to load — a more versatile and data oriented online paper, like the New York Times, takes less than 10 seconds. So, why suffer the slow load of a Joomla 1.5.x. Because of this, I have decided to “decentralize” components of a site, rather than integrate all of them into a single database – contrary to the intent of CB or for that matter Joomla. In fact, if you examine JoomlArt site, its forum is not integrated with the other sites.

There are some “multisite” registration/login that have more sophisticated ACL features. I shall use this approach therefore to integrate multisites.

<em>@mj1256 76818 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    you are correct, the lastest build of cb rc2 is not stable, but 1.1 is and works with both 1.0.15 and j1.5.x just fine</blockquote>

I think you have to activate the legacy mode for CBv1.1. Unfortunately, some extensions I use have problems if the legacy mode is used. I have been waiting for the stable version of CB1.2 before I pay for the manual to have access to it. Some people have been able to make the CBv1.2 RC2, but right now I have problems with it that I have not yet resolved. It is server related that has got to do with the PHP version.

Cornelio

swemmel Friend

migors;76808What could be solution to integrate CB in jatelline II? I was thinking about that, but do not understand what to do.
    Is it possible replace Ja teline login and register with links?

What you can do is show the CB login module in the JA-Tabs of Teline II. that is what I did on this website: http://ppcd.swem-webdesign.com

Peter

mj1256 Friend

yes, you can place the cb login module anywhere, I have also placed it in tabs, but the ifea was to have the cb login converted to the highslide login module

cgc0202 Friend

Someone here has hired somebody else to make this happen. He promised he will share it, but I am not sure if he got the “permission” from the guy who modified the script — at least he did not respond to my post expressing interest to have a copy.

I am not too fond of the highslide feature, so I removed the default login module and just use the standard CB Login module. Also, I prefer the “Registration/Login” placed elsewhere, for aesthetic reasons — like at the very top right of the page.

I know how create just a link format of the “Registration”, so that when someone clicks on it, the CB Registration page will appear. However, I tried to find the link URL for Login and has not been successful so far.

I would appreciate, if someone knows how to have a simple URL for the CB Login (not the CB Registration

I have posted several times in the Joomlapolis forum to

Update: As I posted earlier, the CB v1.2 RC3 is compatible with Joomla 1.5.7, including the captcha.

Obviously, the issue raised here is outside the service that we expect Joomlart to offer, as part of our membership.

And, if you read the forum regularly, many of us have common requests to customize our templates. Thus, these are situations where, if we form a Collaborative Support Group, we can have all of these requests done as a group. Then, we can share the cost together and share the resulting script among us — lower cost for everyone. If we band together, as a Collaborative Support Group consider this. Let us say the above job will cost $100 (as was requested by someone here):

1 customer => $100 per customer
    10 customers => $10 per customer
    100 customers => $1 per customer
    1,000 customers => $0.1 per customer
    etc.

It is obvious that if there is more of us — as part of a Collaborative Support Group — we can get more customization that we want, as a group (or as component subgroups within the group).

Just a thought.

Cornelio

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  migors 15 years, 5 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum