Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

…now that I am no longer using Avian II for one of my sites?

http://76.12.14.108/

Is it less buggy than Joomlart’s version? Would there be any advantage to switching besides the search function built into the latest release? I do need a good search function, and the RS searchbot does not work.

If I switch, will it still read and write my current database, or will I have to rebuild my galleries from scratch? What kind of problems should I expect?

I’m also a little confused why it’s called “Production Alpha” – does that mean it’s not a stable release? Is there such a thing?

Thanks

Jake

Sherlock Friend

Hi jsperl.
    If you switch to RSGallery2 1.14.3, JA will dont support it. If you have some errors, you can post HERE . i will fix them and update in next version

jsperl Friend

Thanks…I had assumed JA would not support it…but what I’m really wondering is if anyone else has done this and what kind of problems have been experienced in making the switch i.e. does the gallery database stay intact…or would it be hosed and I would have to rebuild my galleries? Or is it not really a big deal to switch? I am assuming I would have to uninstall the current version first.

seandiggins Friend

There are better galleries than RSGallery. However, the implementation of RS Gallery with the slideshow in AVIAN II is particularly nice (hence the reason I purchased the template) .

If I wasnt using Avian II, I think I’d be looking at a different gallery, probably Phoca for me (Joomla 1.5x). For J1.0x, maybe Menalto or Coppermine or whatever….

http://www.gallery-addons.com/gallery_addons/component/media_gallery_feature_comparison.html

PS – your existing gallery seems to work work pretty well as it is, so maybe you are better off staying with RSGallery.

Sherlock Friend

Maybe modified RSGallery2 have some errors, but now I’m trying to fix them, plz post every bugs you have, i’m ready to find solutions.

jsperl Friend

Sean, you are right that it does seem to be working pretty now – but I don’t know why it is no longer exhibithg the navigation behavior I reported in this thread:

http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/a-couple-of-things-broken-in-rsgallery2/

I do know that as I have been developing the site I have installed and uninstalled many plugins of various types, so the initial “bugs” could have been a script conflict issue. Or it could have been that switching from Avian to the Rocketheme template may have been what did the trick. I don’t know exactly when it started working better so it’s hard to say.

The main reason I am considering switching is the lack of a search function with JA’s version. And the searchbot provided on the RSGallery site doesn’t work (incompatible with JA’s version perhaps?) I don’t use the slideshow, so that’s not a benefit to me. The other isssue of course is that now that I’ve switched to a Rocketheme, I’m sort of in a no man’s land as far as expecting support from JA.

Also I really don’t want to have to rebuild my galleries from scratch if that can be helped, and I do like the way RSG2 works and looks, so I’m trying to find a way to stick with it (whether JA’s version or not), if there is some way adding a search facility (which the latest version from RSG has).

lovelife Friend

Hi Jake,

Based on what I’ve seen & experienced, if I wasn’t using JA AvianII I would dump JA’s modified version of RSGallery2 and do the work to migrate the images into a new gallery. I figure the lower risk option is to do the migration work now on the assumption that any new dev/fixes for the JA version of RS will be driven by the AvianII template requirements …. you will eventually be on your own …

Having said that I’m not a developer ….. but I have a related issue … “should I use RSGallery2” have it installed in dev with virtuemart now and still trying to get a developer to deliver a productive site (thats a long story) … anyway after spending a lot of time looking at integrating other galleries … 3 out of 3 developers have said “too difficult” to give me something that is as integrated as Avian II with RSGallery2… I have thousands of images and I want an efficient image navigator so customer can add to cart and buy…

…and yes I like the way they work together …… but when do you think the main bugs will be fixed and RSGallery2 is stable enough for production … are the JA guys serious about fixing the problems? … appears most of the work is going into new templates…. that’s cool … if they don’t make money then they won’t be around … but … I’d like to think they will support what they sell.

food for thought … cheers don

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  lovelife 16 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum