Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Hello
    I was testing latest version for megafilter pro on latest Joomla with Joomla core template for several days and I must say that it still needs a lot of polishing.
    I used it with k2 component and with Virtuemart products.
    Only one category, 2 custom fields for filtering (approx 5 items in each dropdown), only 3500 items

Pros

• it works
    • it is configurable up to the some basic point, but still lacks many (useful) options from competitor products

Cons

• it simply doesn’t look nice out of the box!
    • take a look into attached image –
      What is shop by doing on k2 version? Also filters are not nicely aligned.
    • it’s somewhat slow compared to other filters for k2 (found on JED) even with re-indexing done.
    • it’s not quite responsive, please – take a look into attached image – tollbar
      like many other components.
    • NOT compatible with Falang – very popular and widely used Joomla component
    • ugly non SEF parameters in URLs – take a look into attached image – url on a top
    • it’s VERY difficult to override default layout. In order to properly do it, tweaking needs to be done in several places and do core files hacking. Which basically nullifies ability to do easy upgrade(s).
    • Also a lot of additional html, javascript, php and css tweaking is needed.

I hope that at some day this component will be improved and polished, but for now IMHO it’s not for use for serious production website.

Best
    Regards

1. jamegafilter
    Saguaros Moderator

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about JA Mega Filter component. We appreciate that.

Below are my answers for your concern:

1) it simply doesn’t look nice out of the box!
    2) it’s not quite responsive, please – take a look into attached image – tollbar
    like many other components.

Kindly share the URL of page where I can see the issue, I will take a look

3) What is shop by doing on k2 version? Also filters are not nicely aligned.

You can easily translate it via language file to your desired text. We place Shop By text for sample only.

4) it’s somewhat slow compared to other filters for k2 (found on JED) even with re-indexing done.

We agree with this, JA Mega Filter would work best around 1k items, I will pass to the team for further improvement on this.

5) NOT compatible with Falang – very popular and widely used Joomla component

Unfortunately, it’s not compatible with Falang

6) ugly non SEF parameters in URLs – take a look into attached image – url on a top

Pls don’t worry as it will not affect the SEO on your site

7) it’s VERY difficult to override default layout. In order to properly do it, tweaking needs to be done in several places and do core files hacking. Which basically nullifies ability to do easy upgrade(s).
    Also a lot of additional html, javascript, php and css tweaking is needed.

I understand this hard as JA Megafilter doesn’t retrieve data like normal Joomla way. It renders data from JSon and display JSon values dynamically using DustJS. So it’s quite complicated to override. We already provided some tips to override here: https://www.joomlart.com/documentation/joomla-component/ja-megafilter#override-layout , pls check it out.

Anyway, this is reported to the team and there would be improvement in upcoming version.

Regards

wolly Friend

SPEED ONLY 1k items for smooth operation ?

Just read your answer regarding speed:

"We agree with this, JA Mega Filter would work best around 1k items, I will pass to the team for further improvement on this."

I just bought this extension, i would really appreciate if you look into this as soon as possible. 1k is not much of data in 2017, please make some adjustments to this. I have around 5k items and growing, now im getting worried it might not work smooth

Thanks

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by  wolly.
    galaxx Friend

Hi! I guess, after hours of a thorough investigation of Megafilter files, I will get a desired view of a results page. But, please give me a clue, how can I sort goods by price in my Virtuemart-based store with different currencies? Filter always shows price in a currency, set for each item in a database, intead of a main currency, allowed for making purchases…

Saguaros Moderator

@wolly: the team would need to update the Megafilter to handle that load smoothly in upcoming versions.

@galaxx: unfortunately, at this moment it can be filtered with one currency only. Let me share with the team for further consideration.

galaxx Friend

Hope, The Team will provide a multi-currency patch soon… One more important thing – Virtuemart have a special folder for the thumbnails, but Megafilter loads full-size product pics, scaled to fit the width of an item "card", instead of thumbs. How can I change the path loaded in {thumbnail} tag to correct this issue?

galaxx Friend

Need to hide goods from some categories and also not to show these categories in a categories tree.
    The same with manufacturers. Is it possible in current edition of Megafilter?

galaxx Friend

A problem with layers occurs in a "mobile screen" layout: filter toggle button is displayed under the "product details" layer, but add-to-cart area is displayed normally – it goes under the toggle button when I scroll down.
    Please, check a screenshot. Is it possible to correct this issue?

1. WrongLayers1
    2. WrongLayers2
    Saguaros Moderator

Could you pls separate your question in different topic? It’ll be helpful if others have the same concern.

Thank you!

Hrvoje Friend

Hello
    Sorry for late reply, my hosting firm beefed up some anti-spam measures so notifications from this forum were caught as spam. I will address Saguaros answers.

> Kindly share the URL of page where I can see the issue, I will take a look

• Sorry, can’t. I was testing it on my localhost on wamp64 server with php7

> You can easily translate it via language file to your desired text.
    We place Shop By text for sample only.

• Thanks, but I still wonder, why doing providing "Shop" sample for megafilter which is supposed to be
      multipurpose? Filters needs to be compact as much as possible, not taking a lot of space.
      So in order to remove this, both language file and module template file editing is needed, which takes time.

> We agree with this, JA Mega Filter would work best around 1k items, I will pass to the team for further improvement on this.

• This should be stated in module description!
      Filters are usually used to help users to navigate among many items, and this number very often goes waay above 1k.

> Unfortunately, it’s not compatible with Falang

• To bad as this would be nice selling point. Falang is used by many. I’m using it on all of my websites because most of my webs have at least 4 lanuages. You should consider making it compatible with Falang because it’s not difficult task to do it.

> Pls don’t worry as it will not affect the SEO on your site

• I still worry because it simply doesn’t look nice. IMHO filter values should not be passed via URL parameters.

Anyway I decided to not use Megafilter on my projects because of these reasons:

• not compatible with Falang
    • not suitable for projects with +1k of items
    • difficult to properly override and maintain hassle free upgrade-ability

Thanks for your replies,
    Best regards

thesdhotel Friend

I agree that there are a few layout flaws out of the box when it comes to responsiveness like the ones you mentioned. I fixed them all on my site, feel free to take inspiration from my CSS overrides/fixes (among other improvements)… Note: you can place a jamegafilter.css file in this path and it will be loaded by the component.
    https://www.thesmackdownhotel.com/templates/SDH_J3/css/jamegafilter.css

I still worry because it simply doesn’t look nice. IMHO filter values should not be passed via URL parameters.

I disagree with this.
    Filter values should instead be passed via URL paramaters (like it is now), because it gives you the ability to directly link to a filtered view with certain filters already applied.

galaxx Friend

Could you pls separate your question in different topic? It’ll be helpful if others have the same concern.

Thank you!

Well, following this advice I’ve created 3 separate topics from my posts. Hope, this may help.

Saguaros Moderator

@hrvoje: I will share with the team for further consideration on this improvement.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Saguaros 6 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum