Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Ok, so mac users use mamps and windows users use wamps. Got it.

I also went to the akeeba site. Is this something you need to subscribe to or do you just download the software to help run backups and restore? Also can you backup locally (with akeeba) or do you have to backup to their cloud?

Thanks

swissa Friend

<em>@bigmagic2014 414341 wrote:</em><blockquote>Ok, so mac users use mamps and windows users use wamps. Got it.

I also went to the akeeba site. Is this something you need to subscribe to or do you just download the software to help run backups and restore? Also can you backup locally (with akeeba) or do you have to backup to their cloud?

Thanks</blockquote>

Akeeba is free. Check their documentation. It is quite extensive and will answer your questions better than I can plus you can read it at your leisure.

bigmagic2014 Friend

Moving forward with local host build. Akeeba seems helpful, but I would like the capability to restore locally in the advent of internet failure etc. So far haven’t seen where this option exist. Still, will look further into Akeeba, as the overall service seems advantageous.

*I had got the impression this is something you used yourself or was common among the developer types.

Do you use Akeeba yourself? or is it a pretty common product for developers?

Either way, I will absolutely need to ensure viable backup capability, which is I think what you were getting at.

So, getting started with the local Fixel quickstart (I think current documentation will have everything else covered — you’ve already provided the outstanding preparatory information… mamp wamp ). I’ll review Akeeba in-dept a bit later. (Ialready have basic backup measures in place).

Also if you could still take a look at the variations in display, and the absence of coffee cup loader, that’d be great (sent url). I’m looking at the performance info now.

thanks for the support.

bigmagic2014 Friend

Did you get url link?

Some (or actually most) of these forum functions I’ve never used before, so I need to confirm operations completed successfully 😎

swissa Friend

<em>@bigmagic2014 414357 wrote:</em><blockquote>Did you get url link?

Some (or actually most) of these forum functions I’ve never used before, so I need to confirm operations completed successfully :cool:</blockquote>

Hi,

Please look at my signature – I’m not JA or support; Saguaros is so he/she will be able to see any urls you post for the mods. I can’t. Keeps you safer than letting anyone log in to your site etc.

I recommend everyone to use akeeba. I don’t build a site without it. Ever. That’s why you need to read the docs, install it, restore it, test it. No point installing a corrupted backup when the site goes down or gets hacked!

The coffee cup loader is specific to JA demo site. Is isn’t part of Fixel. FYI it is the Java sign as in the programming language ‘Java’.

Take your time, read lots of the forum here, use the search function and read what other people have done. If you have a problem, chances are you won’t be the first and possibly someone else has already received a solution.

The best way to learn (with anything) is to try and you will make mistakes. Learn from them! We don’t learn from success. 😀

Good luck and have fun learning.

bigmagic2014 Friend

<em>@swissa 414359 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi,

Please look at my signature – I’m not JA or support; Saguaros is so he/she will be able to see any urls you post for the mods. I can’t. Keeps you safer than letting anyone log in to your site etc.

</blockquote>

Oh, ok, my mistake. Guess this just shows my unfamiliarity with the process. When you talked about handing off earlier etc. I got the impression you were support (actually I thought the support in general for this forum came from Support, as they notified me the standard support system was down and said I would be receiving support from here).

Anyway, I guess it was all a coincidence. I got some help some help in other areas though, so I guess it worked out anyway.

<em>@swissa 414359 wrote:</em><blockquote>

I recommend everyone to use akeeba. I don’t build a site without it. Ever. That’s why you need to read the docs, install it, restore it, test it. No point installing a corrupted backup when the site goes down or gets hacked!

</blockquote>

Sounds like you’re really big on Akeeba, like it’s something seriously worth looking into.

So if I installed my site locally first, that wouldn’t preclude any future ability to install Akeeba would it? I mean there’s no order of installation involved in the configuration is there?

Re Java Loader:
    I should be able to find and install that ok (unless it is restricted to just JA), or I guess I can always install some other preloader. No biggee.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge (I guess that’s a double hats off because here all this time I thought you were on the payroll.):)

Big Magic

swissa Friend

You are welcome.

You don’t need the java loader – you have a javascript one built in – the squares moving around.

<em>@bigmagic2014 414371 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    Sounds like you’re really big on Akeeba, like it’s something seriously worth looking into.
    </blockquote>

I am indeed. Don’t say I haven’t warned you if you loose a site through having no (checked and tested) backup!! :laugh:

It’s a component and installs through Joomla. From their docs – where I pointed you before.

<blockquote>Akeeba Backup can be used for much more than just backup. Some indicative uses are:

• Security backups. Taking a snapshot of your site should your server fail, or a hacker exploit some security hole to deface or compromise your site.
    • Template sites. Web professionals have used Akeeba Backup in order to create “template sites”. This means that you can build a site on a local server, install every component you usually do on most clients’ sites and back it up. You now have a canned site that can serve as a great template for future clients. Using the same method you can have a snapshot of all the sites you have built for your clients, without the need to have them installed on your local server.
    • Build a site off-line, upload the finished site easily. Web professionals can build a complete site off-line on a local server and when done take a snapshot with Akeeba Backup, then restore it on the production site.
    • Testing upgrades locally, without risking breaking the on-line site. Joomla!â„¢ updates have the potential of breaking things, especially in complex or badly written components and modules. Web masters use Akeeba Backup to get a site snapshot, restore it on a local test server, perform the upgrade there and test for any problems without the live site being at risk.
    • Debugging locally. Almost the same as above, web professionals have used Akeeba Backup to take a snapshot of a client’s Joomla!â„¢ site in order to perform bug hunting. Using Akeeba Backup again, they can upload the fixed site back on the live server.
    • Relocating a site to a new host. Web masters who want to take their site to a new host have found Akeeba Backup to be their saviour. Just backup the original site and restore on the new host; presto, your site is relocated with virtually no effort at all.

Akeeba Backup has the potential to save you hours of hard labor, according to our users. It is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 3 or, at your option, any later version of the license. As a result, you are free to modify it to your liking and install it on as many sites as you like without having to pay for a pricey “developer’s license”.</blockquote>

bigmagic2014 Friend

Ok, I read you loud and clear, and thanks for including the baby steps.

Believe or not I read everything you just included but apparently it didn’t sink in until now. It’s all beginning to come together and make much more sense (or offer more insight than I originally had gathered). (Maybe it was the component piece that made the lights brighten — dunno :-[)

Anyway, here’s the plan (tell me if it works or not)

1) Download & Install Fixel Quickstart locally (shouldn’t be a problem).

2) Install Akeeba as component (this should install into quickstart according to my limited knowledge of Joomla)

3) Start building locally

4) Backup with Akeeba

5) Upload site in stages of development to test online performance

6) Continue local testing and Akeeba Backup.

7) Upload completed site.

You tell me if this flies or not and what I need for improvement.

(hope I’ve got it covered but you never know.)

Let me know
    Thanks

swissa Friend

That’s a plan. Congrats!

bigmagic2014 Friend

Thanks for the help!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

This topic contains 25 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bigmagic2014 10 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum