Viewing 4 posts - 61 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Author

I do not believe this will be just a template for news. There will be a lot more to it than that and JA have come up with a lot of new stuff to go with it. You only have a few days to wait so be patient, you will be vey pleased.

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@toddman 142062 wrote:</em><blockquote>Yes I know, so the question is which month is it really or is there a typo?

2nd JA hasn’t been keeping version #’s up to date, so if nothing comes out in August there still covered.

GravitPro templates are always a month late, maybe JA is following there example!</blockquote>

<em>@bennitos 142064 wrote:</em><blockquote>Trust me JA Mona is 2nd july 🙂

And JA isnt even too late yet with its August (teline III) template, demo site should be up in a couple days.</blockquote>

toddman and bennitos,

What is a few days late or even a month, if you have been waiting for more than a year?

One thing that I hope will be retired is the practice of releasing “beta” version of a template just to meet a release deadline and let the members find out for themselves whether there are still bugs. Assuming that there are 100 or 1,000 member users of a template, that is a lot of total time wasted, not to mention the frustrations and ill will such unresolved issues would create.

Why can’t Joomlart use a trusted circle of people (like the “inner circle” perhaps?), plus randomly selected members (differing skills and experience), to test what Joomlart staff have ascertained to be a “stable” version. This includes installing the Quickstart kit and perform some basic operations:

1. change the logo
    2. upload a third party extension
    3. add section, category, article, etc.

and whatever might be considered critical activities for a newbie. If there are enough people who serve as “testers’, this should eliminate many undetected issues that was not noticed by the web designers and programmers.

If there are new features, some of those volunteers might even be willing to write instruction manual or tutorials for those new features. This is one area where Joomlart is quite weak. What I meant by this is that the instructions sometimes may not be “complete” enough to be understood by a beginner or those with no background in some “fundamentals”.

True everyone should learn the basics, but whether we like it or not, many of the questions asked are related to lack of experience or understanding of the “fundamentals”.

If the above were done with Teline II, more than likely it might not have as many threads as was shown in the Teline II forum. To an extent, this is true also for a number of the other templates.

Of course, this will require preparation of templates well ahead of time, not just the same month or a few weeks before the deadline. Also, it is a lot of work to be “beta testing”, so Joomlart must provide some incentive for doing this.

Cornelio

bennitos Friend

Cornelio i agree about the importance of a good documentation it avoids alot of forum posts, and if they still post it on forum its good to be able to point to the documentation if you know its actually complete.

Same for the testing think its good to have some “users” to look at a template before release as those people try other things and look at it with a different eye compared to the persons who are making the actuall template. I have asked if i could access a bugtracker for the templates and am waiting how that turns out.

Hopefully you will be happy with Teline III 🙂

cgc0202 Friend

Thanks bennitos,

If Joomlart has been taking notes of what a number of Joomlart users have been suggesting since the Teline II was released and implemented what it considered good among those suggestions then I would be using whatever Teline III should come up.

In fact, Joomlart is likely familiar with what the competitions were doing, like Rocket Theme, iJoomla, which has the News and Magazine extensions now for two years, but more important the Magazine extension of Jxtended, which came out more than a year ago. The latter has been improved since last year, and Jxtended has a continuing road map to improve it further. Jxtended Magazine extension is quasi-open source, and a number of its features will be in Joomla 1.6 since the developers are also part of the core members of Joomla.

Joomlart has licensed the extensions of other third party companies before, like some of the unique slide shows. Similarly, they could have licensed the Jxtended Magazine extension to minimize “development time”, or reversed-engineered it to develop an even better one. The first alternative is preferred because Jxttended already contributed the scripts of Jxtended Magazine extension to Joomla 1.6. Thus, Joomlart would have a headstart in adapting to Joomla 1.6.

I hope the new features of Teline III, that the others in Joomlart inner circle, saw are indeed like those of the Jxtended Magazine extension, then I would be very happy indeed.

And because Teline III is also a template, it would even be better than Jxtended Magazine extension because of the tight integration. The templates where the Jxtended Magazine extension was integrated from the examples given, like the Joomla magazine of Joomla itself, do not have the best template layouts. The basic features itself of previous Teline II template, I still like better. If they have improved the layout even better, like the resolve annoying features I have been talking about since last year, then I will be very very happy.

I may still go ahead with exploring custom integration of the Jxtended Magazine extension and Teline III because I do not know when Joomlart will improve Teline III again.

ACL

Right now, the default ACL in Joomla only include — public, registered and special. The granularity is improved to the article level. This is old technology, by the way. CMS, like TikiWiki, had it long before Joomla was even created.

If Joomlart happened to have included this feature too — increased ACL granularity — in Teline III, then it would have greatly improved the security of a Joomla-Teline III template. I would welcome such advance. However, I doubt Joomlart have gone that far, thus my decision to buy the Jxtended Magazine extension.

I found out that one of the features that Jxtended will include in the future in Jxtended Magazine extension is an improvement in the ACL. This will be in version 2.2 and they are now in version 1.5.5.

Cornelio

<em>@bennitos 142118 wrote:</em><blockquote>Cornelio i agree about the importance of a good documentation it avoids alot of forum posts, and if they still post it on forum its good to be able to point to the documentation if you know its actually complete.

Same for the testing think its good to have some “users” to look at a template before release as those people try other things and look at it with a different eye compared to the persons who are making the actuall template. I have asked if i could access a bugtracker for the templates and am waiting how that turns out.

Hopefully you will be happy with Teline III :)</blockquote>

Viewing 4 posts - 61 through 64 (of 64 total)

This topic contains 64 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  cgc0202 14 years, 8 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum