Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Hi,
    So what does everyone think of designing a site with something like ASP.net or php from scratch compared to using a cms like joomla or wordpress. are ready built cms too easy? or are alot of developers still using the old methods?

skanstulls2008 Friend

<em>@daveypow 169138 wrote:</em><blockquote>Has anyone heard of any security issues with wordpress?

I noticed a link to ‘onloine pharma’ on one of the templates and it scared me to death!</blockquote>

Some WordPress themplates do have crap in the footer section and most often encoded. I normally just delete the code in the footer section and add my own. It’s often not so complicated.

Although… I have only seen links to the maker of the template (in legal templates it is… Pirated ones can have what ever crap one can imagine and shouldn’t be used at all for security reasons) but I still think it should be an option if wanting to link back or not.

skanstulls2008 Friend

<em>@ezoteo 169673 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi,
    So what does everyone think of designing a site with something like ASP.net or php from scratch compared to using a cms like joomla or wordpress. are ready built cms too easy? or are alot of developers still using the old methods?</blockquote>

Coding a site in ASP, PHP or what ever script language one prefer to use is ok if one also have the time and effort to program all the functions one want to use on the site. The pros with a CMS is that one get a lot of options to include without ever have to touch the code.

Just take a look at Joomla.org extension section or browse WordPress plugins… There are tons of them and most likely something for every wishes and needs. The cons with using a CMS is that one have to either make ones own template or change the graphics of existing templates as well as changing the CSS rules for extensions to fit ones site. If not one will still have good functions but not 100% unique look of ones site.

Many webdeveloper want to code the entire site as they then are giving the client few choises to add functions as they want. They have to turn to the webdeveloper for what ever new functions they wish to have. Joomla and WordPress gives one a lot more options in that sense.

yegred Friend

Where can I get a free tutorial on installing wordpress on my own domain? Thanks.

skanstulls2008 Friend
    1websitebuilder1 Friend

I’ve been using WordPress for a long time and so far, I’ve been happy with it. However, I have been contemplating on trying out Joomla. WordPress had been easy to learn. How long do you think would it take someone to fully learn the ins and outs of Joomla?

tknass Friend

My two cents!

Would Joomlart do any wordpress templates? I would love to have teline III for example on wordpress.

I’m already trying it on Joomla and found it harder than I thought configuring the entire thing! So Mr. Dinh, what do ou think?

I’ll definately stick around for that!

TK

sbdtl001 Friend

Thank you guys. I am new overall at website design and have been very impressed with joomla and was contemplating using it. So far I only use wordpress but I guess I’ll stick with it for now as I can’t even say i have a good handle on wordpress. I am certain I’ll be using joomla later on as I don’t really like wordpress as a CMS. It is very limiting and it appears joomla is better.

oun Friend

Try drupal. I switch to drupal from joomla because it has huge community and number of extensions to support you. Another thing is drupal theming system is so powerful.:)

eric_svrei Friend

<em>@skanstulls2008 167775 wrote:</em><blockquote>I’ve worked a lot with both Joomla and WordPress. I like them both and they are both verry useful for different tasks. I prefer Joomla for bigger sites/company sites and wordpress for simple blogging. WordPress can be tweaked to work more like a CMS with static pages etc but I think Joomla is far better then WP in that sense.

One big difference between WP and Joomla when it comes to SEO is that WP tend to have a lot nicer and cleaner code which gives a significant result when it comes to SEO. Joomla isn’t bad but one need to tweak it and fix a lot to get it as one want it.

</blockquote>

It must be pretty interesting to work in both and know both so well. In the last several years or so I’ve been using WordPress for a blog, and it seems I’m always cruising wordpress themes (preferably free!) to see if I can find one I like better, both in terms of look and functionality.

My experience is only with small sites, but can somebody explain what it is about a larger site that makes Joomla more appropriate? With wordpress, it seems that there’s always one more premium plug in that will take your functionality to whatever level you need.

eric_svrei Friend

<em>@skanstulls2008 169980 wrote:</em><blockquote>Some WordPress themplates do have crap in the footer section and most often encoded. I normally just delete the code in the footer section and add my own. It’s often not so complicated.

Although… I have only seen links to the maker of the template </blockquote>

Sometimes I’ve seen free templates contain links to their makers, with the paid versions giving you more flexibility to change it to whatever you want via a control panel. Of course, you can edit the page template directly. Also, if it is being sold in an affiliate model, I’ve seen that whoever is selling it can make put in some small branding elements such as a link to self.

tiffany51 Friend

To a normal person,I think Joomla is complicated than WordPress.But to a webmaster i think JM is the better one to build a good site.Though i also love WP.

xannonbourne Friend

If WordPress can do everything you your Joomla site, you may as well want to switch. WordPress is extensible enough for the average user is so much that it changes the subject with much easier and maybe sometimes do not want the plugin can not handle.

rahulxx Friend

<em>@clintondock 167486 wrote:</em><blockquote>From then i am using joomla and trying to learn it successfully.

Hope i will be successful</blockquote>

yes you will.
    there is no CMS like Joomla in this world. :-*
    you can do anything, and many extensions to complete your demand

And is 100% free. stick with it, I am 100 % sure you’ll get success

jimmicarter Friend

I moved from WP to Joomla these days.I found it’s so difficult to find a free WP theme which can make the WP looks like a portal site.But Jommla is better, more functions and i can now easily make some portal sites with it.Thus i love the both:-*

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

This topic contains 30 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  jimmicarter 13 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum