Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

It’s about 6 months ago. Then i used to use wordpress for building site. It’s not bad but not so good. I was trying to replace wordpress by a good site making software.

Then a friend of mine told me about joomla! i tried joomla then for few days but wasn’t successful and give it up. After 1 month i got some tutorials of joomla. Then i was surprised to see it’s features. If has everything i want. From then i am using joomla and trying to learn it successfully.

Hope i will be successful

robduby76 Friend

Yea I’m using wordprees, it’s very limited but simple to use. Its good for someone like me.

wayneb200 Friend

which is the best to cope with a cms style site…

elan1085 Friend

I’m having trouble with wordpress, I don’t seem to get it completely. I’m new to building websites. Anyone has some advice for me? Should try Joomla?

wayneb200 Friend

for basic site they are great just want to go that one step better with a CMS

vandebt Friend

Try to find the tutorials for whatever software you choose for your sites. I found Joomla to have a great selection of help topics making using their software a great choice. Be sure to continue to ask questions because people seem to give up too quickly not giving th esoftware a chance. Hope this helps

janjensen Friend

Every software you use whether WordPress or Joomla will have a learning curve. Usually the more features it has the harder it is to learn. The longer you stick with one platform the easier it will become. If you run into a problem and you can’t find the answer in the forum then search google with the exact question you have. Usually you will find the answer within the first couple of results.

To succeed and anything takes patience and the ability to figure things out. Hang in there and ask questions until you can find out the answer to the problems you are having.

Jane

skanstulls2008 Friend

I’ve worked a lot with both Joomla and WordPress. I like them both and they are both verry useful for different tasks. I prefer Joomla for bigger sites/company sites and wordpress for simple blogging. WordPress can be tweaked to work more like a CMS with static pages etc but I think Joomla is far better then WP in that sense.

One big difference between WP and Joomla when it comes to SEO is that WP tend to have a lot nicer and cleaner code which gives a significant result when it comes to SEO. Joomla isn’t bad but one need to tweak it and fix a lot to get it as one want it.

If looking for way’s to create ones own templates (I do both make my own and change premade ones depending what’s needed for the projects I’m working with), I can recommend Artisteer 2. It’s as simple as it can be and one doesn’t need any coding experience to create good looking templates.

If on another hand knowing some HTML/PHP I would recommend getting the book “Building Websites with Joomla! 1.5” form PACKT Publishing (one find it on bigger online book stores) which gives a good starting point for creating own Joomla templates as well as learning the Joomla CMS.

It’s really not that hard to learn. 😉

elan1085 Friend

Thanks guys, it’s really helpful. What do you think about the NVU software in terms of SEO?

skanstulls2008 Friend

<em>@elan1085 167811 wrote:</em><blockquote>Thanks guys, it’s really helpful. What do you think about the NVU software in terms of SEO?</blockquote>

NUV is just as good as any other softwares. The SEO doesn’t lay so much in the templates as one might think.

It’s more important that one do use keyword properly, keep a track of the keyword density in contents, using H1/H2 tags for headers etc etc. I would recommend anyone wanting to get the On-site optimization right, to take a look at Internet Business Promoter (IBP) which gives one a great picture of the On-site factors.

For Joomla I would recommend installing the “Joomla 1.5 SEO patch” (download it from joomla.org) which is free and solves a lot of SEO related problems with Joomla.

For WordPress I would recommend installing the “All in one SEO pack” which helps one maintain good SEO settings for WP contents (free from WordPress.org).

Except that it wouldn’t matter if using NVU, Dreamweaver, Notepad++ or what ever program one feels comfortable with as long as ones template do validate when running it though W3C’s HTML and CSS validator.

Unfortuneatly WP is a lot better then Joomla when it comes to validating (as I am a big Joomla fan I have to say unfortuneatly) after adding content and installing plugins. WP have cleaner code and for each extension you install in Joomla (or WP) you will get more code that will be added to your site and I see more often code errors for Joomla addons then for WP addons. I also think that it’s easier to correct code errors in WP then in Joomla as plugins tends to be smaller for WP and one can reach an editor whithin WP directly for correcting that.

The off-site optimization is a lot easier and is most often just a matter of getting enough backlinks from sites with either related content or sites with high PR as well as using ones targeted keywords in the anchor text and not forget the deep linking 😉

Or to answer you’re question in a short line… The program you choose doesn’t matter as long as your code validates through W3C’s HTML/CSS validator.

penelopeb Friend

<em>@skanstulls2008 167775 wrote:</em><blockquote>I’ve worked a lot with both Joomla and WordPress. I like them both and they are both verry useful for different tasks. I prefer Joomla for bigger sites/company sites and wordpress for simple blogging. WordPress can be tweaked to work more like a CMS with static pages etc but I think Joomla is far better then WP in that sense.

One big difference between WP and Joomla when it comes to SEO is that WP tend to have a lot nicer and cleaner code which gives a significant result when it comes to SEO. Joomla isn’t bad but one need to tweak it and fix a lot to get it as one want it.

If looking for way’s to create ones own templates (I do both make my own and change premade ones depending what’s needed for the projects I’m working with), I can recommend Artisteer 2. It’s as simple as it can be and one doesn’t need any coding experience to create good looking templates.

If on another hand knowing some HTML/PHP I would recommend getting the book “Building Websites with Joomla! 1.5” form PACKT Publishing (one find it on bigger online book stores) which gives a good starting point for creating own Joomla templates as well as learning the Joomla CMS.

It’s really not that hard to learn. ;)</blockquote>

You my friend are a savior. I’ve been thinking about joomlart vs wordpress for awhile. I think I’ll stick to wordpress for now since my sites are usually small and SEO orientated. I’ll be moving on to joomlart when I have bigger projects though. Don’t you love it when you have choices. 🙂

daveypow Friend

Has anyone heard of any security issues with wordpress?

I noticed a link to ‘onloine pharma’ on one of the templates and it scared me to death!

iwebbs Friend

I agree Joomla is certainly good. But it has a big learning curve. Do you suggest any good training for joomla?

lexis_nexus Friend

Hello!

I have seen a lot of people are now using WordPress. I think wordpress is better beacause it has a lot of themes to choose from. Plug-ins to use that makes it more easire to work with.

Want to buy some gift Baskets to your loved ones? Check this out.

headlessgeek Friend

I think if you are new to cms and website building you have to go with wordpress, but after you learn the basics, you will need a more robust cms, then you jump to joomla but as someone here said, watch some tutorials first, cause it can be a little bit intimidating , but when you got it figured out, its a blessed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

This topic contains 30 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  jimmicarter 13 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum