Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

I have some problems with JA NEWS2. New visitors to my website can only see one row with three columns, even if this section contains 9 categories It doesn’t matter if JA User Setting is published or not. The only way to show all categories is to tick them all manually in the JA NEWS 2 module on the frontpage.

New visitor don’t know they can change these settings so I want to expand all categories when they enter the website. How can I fix this?

Edit: After typing this message I found another topic here dealing this problem. Unfortunately no solution offered.

guidinglight Friend

I must say im disappointed in Joomlart for not dealing with this issue. There has been a number of posts on this very problem yet no solution.

It would be unnecessary to make another post but a solution to this problem is in order.

kryptos Friend

In Extensions forum, I found this topic. It’s also unanswered yet.

http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/janews2-add-more-category/

I’m also interested with this problem. This is a great module, but this useful option is missing…

PGLion Friend

I decided to drop my categories layout fantasy and use sections instead now.

Saguaros Moderator

Hello guys!

i’m sorry for my delay!

Please kindldy read thread and try to follow the solution to resolve this issue:
    http://www.joomlart.com/forums/showthread.php?p=145285#post145285

if you can not make done with the solution, please let me known, t’ll try to fix your issue

Thanks

Saguaros Moderator

Hello guys!

Now, i have a second options to manage the number of categories display on the module:

1) please open the file: modulesmod_janews2mod_janews2.xml and try to add this tag into file:

<param name=”max_categories_display” type=”text” default=”3″ label=”MAX CATEGORIES DISPLAY” description=”MAX CATEGORIES DISPLAY DESC” />

2) please open the file: modulesmod_janews2helper.php
    a) try to find the function loadCategories($sid) function at line 404 ( in my file ) and find codes of this function at line 422:
    [PHP] $limit = ( int ) $this->get ( ‘cols’, 2 ); [/PHP]
    replace:
    [PHP] $limit = $this->get( ‘max_categories_display’ , 3 );[/PHP]
    b) find the function getCatIDs($secid) { at line 171 and find codes of this function at line 179:
    [PHP] $limit = ( int ) $this->get ( ‘cols’, 2 );[/PHP]
    Replace:
    [PHP] $limit = $this->get( ‘max_categories_display’ , 3 );[/PHP]

When you customized your modules with the above way, please access the module’s confiugration and put the number of categories you expected in this “MAX CATEGORIES DISPLAY” paramter. so the module’ll display categories follow rule:
    if number of categories is greater the number of columns, then the module auto create a new row to display the remainder of categories.

salvomic Friend

<em>@tienhc 163984 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hello guys!

Now, i have options 2 to manage the number of categories display on the module:

….</blockquote>

It works for me, but, please: how to have again categories ordered by database order, as it was first?

thanks

salvo

Saguaros Moderator

yes, i improved categories ordering via their order, but the module have not release because it need to test :), now here is the solution:

please open the file: modulesmod_janews2helper.php
    a) try to find the function loadCategories($sid) function at line 404 ( in my file ) and find the following sql query:
    [PHP]
    $query = “SELECT `id`, `title`, `description`, CASE WHEN CHAR_LENGTH(`alias`) THEN CONCAT_WS(“:”, `id`, `alias`) ELSE `id` END as `slug` FROM `#__categories` s WHERE published = 1 and section=” . ( int ) $sid . $where;
    [/PHP]
    Replace:
    [PHP]
    $query = “SELECT `id`, `title`, `description`, CASE WHEN CHAR_LENGTH(`alias`) THEN CONCAT_WS(“:”, `id`, `alias`) ELSE `id` END as `slug` FROM `#__categories` s WHERE published = 1 and section=” . ( int ) $sid . $where .’ ORDER BY s.ordering’;
    [/PHP]

salvomic Friend

<em>@tienhc 164146 wrote:</em><blockquote>yes, i improved the categories ordering via the their order, but the module have not release because it need to test :), now here is the solution:
    …</blockquote>

many thanks!
    salvo

kidi Friend

Thank you !

Alan Kyne Perry Friend

it works great! thank you. good job!!!
    i would like to ask if it is possible to adjust level of second row of categories
    please look at http://www.industrialculture.org and there are 6 categories in Sounds section, depends of number of letters, images are lower or higher in second row. is it possible to keep them on the same level?

davidrabinov Friend

This fixed a bunch of issues with this template at least at my end. Thank you very much, good job.

feanorv Friend

tienhc, If you can help. Is there any way that I choose to have all 9 of my categories enabled and just limit the amount of news I have ?

For example, I have 9 categories, but the module will only show the 3 latest articles, regardless of the category.

OR much more importantly :

An alternative, If you have time to code it…When someone only has one category, how can all 3 rows have articles from the same category ?

Saguaros Moderator

Dear feanorv!

we ‘ll make a heavy customization, i’m sorry i can not help you in this case

Thanks

feanorv Friend

Just so you know, there’s also a bug in Internet explorer whenever someone has deleted articles. It shows a big blank space whenever that happens.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

This topic contains 24 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  gianfranco 13 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum