Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

<em>@cgc0202 117903 wrote:</em><blockquote>

I have no clue actually how to create php.ini. Do you know how to create php.ini? I search the CPG forum and it does stated that it is the php.ini that is needed. Again, I have not seen any sample php.ini file. You know how stern the main Admin there could be.

</blockquote>

A php.ini file is just a text file named php.ini. If you have root access you simply browse to php.ini on your server and edit the file as required. Finding the file is simple as in coppermine there is a phpinfo tool in admin tools that allows you to see all the current settings and where to change them.

If your host allows a custom php.ini file then simpliy create the file in notepad and call it php.ini. What you put in there is up to you. Once done simply upload it to wherever your host tells you to put it. Some systems require a restart for the changes to take effect.

As for stern, we try not to be but some users just don’t do what is asked. Some send PM after PM when they are told not to and others are pointed to the relavent section of the manual time and again but they still fail to read it and do what is asked. There is also a language problem, only 2 of the admins are in the UK with the rest being spread worldwide from Iran to Germany to India to Spain etc so sometimes they may come accross as curt but it is just the language barrier, other times people do get pissed of but hey ho it is only a forum. Look me up on there, I use the same user name as here.

Here is a guide Joachim put together on the settings in php.ini

<blockquote>Please keep in mind that HTTP uploads are limited by the restrictions placed upon them in PHP’s configuration.

Things to check:

1. max_input_time- 60 seconds is the default time limit for uploading files.

This time limit includes the time it takes for the files to upload, so if you exceed this limit, the file will not even parse, and the browser will not get a response. You can workaround this by trying to upload smaller or fewer files, or you can try uploading over broadband. The best solution, of course, is to increase the time limit to something more in line with your needs.

2. upload_max_filesize – 2MB is the default limit for individual files.

3. post_max_size – 8MB is the default limit for post requests.

4. memory_limit – 8MB is the default size.

5. PHP’s LimitRequestBody – 512KB default limit. (mainly an issue on Redhat/Apache systems. Found in /etc/http/conf.d)

In general, upload_max_filesize < post_max_size < memory_limit in order for uploads to function properly. Coppermine may warn you if a file exceeds upload_max_filesize, but it cannot warn you if the total size of all the files exceeds the post limit or the memory limit.

6. file_uploads – This determines whether or not PHP will allow file uploads. It must be set to ‘On’.

7. upload_tmp_dir – This specifies the temporary directory where PHP stores uploaded files.

The most common issue caused by this setting is an open_basedir warning. In this situation, your server administrator has restricted the files that PHP can work with to a certain directory. If he does not create and specify a temporary directory within the open_basedir restriction, PHP will attempt to use the OS temporary directory, and it will be rebuffed by the open_basedir restriction.

8. allow_fopen_url – This controls PHP’s ability to read files using URL/URIs. If it is disabled, Coppermine will not be able to upload from URLs.

Some notes about the different types of upload mechanisms available in CPG 1.3:

Multiple HTTP uploads are designed to handle a small number of files, and have been capped at 10. Therefore, they are not really suited for large numbers of files unless you have control over your php.ini configuration.

If you are looking to upload in excess of 15 or 20 files at a time, you should consider the batch add process or the XP_Publisher utility. Each has its own drawbacks and advantages.

The batch add process is fast, but it puts quite a load on the server and may experience timeouts. The XP Publisher utility is slower, but it limits the load on the server. Also, it avoids many of the pitfalls caused by the php.ini configuration by uploading each file in the set as an individual post request.</blockquote>

So in your file you could just put

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ; Resource Limits ;
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

max_execution_time = 30 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
    max_input_time = 60 ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
    memory_limit = 8M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (8MB)

and increase things as required.

All this is detailed in this thread.

http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,24088.0.html

Look up your settings in the phpinfo tool described earlier before and after you make changes to make sure they are taking effect.

Hope that helps.

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@mj1256 117805 wrote:</em><blockquote>you are refering to a board that certifies and regulates joomla templates and extensions for quality control and rate their providers for customer service and prompt updates</blockquote>

Hi mj,

A board is too official and certification denotes some degree of expertise. That can be very controversial because who will certify the expertise of the certifiers?

On the other hand, even if I have no expertise in scripting, if I were to review Teline II, I could state objectively that it does not have the capability to have multiple (automated) linking of the same article in different sections and categories. This is a standard feature in most commercial news-magazines online. Similarly, one could write a review to compare the Teline II and the RocketTheme’s news magazine — from the perspective of a user. If done objectively, even the template companies cannot object to that. When it comes to services and policies, we all know for example that Joomlart provides QuickStart kits, but not all of the template companies do the same. Gavick PRO is more liberal in its licensing and does not have all the crazy copyright issues that Joomlart has implemented.

The point of such comparisons — by more objective reviewers — can even spur design and script competitions to improve their templates, reconsider services and policies, etc. These efforts are better done outside of template groups forums. What should be avoided would be for supporters of specific companies to have knee-jerk reactions — like what has been the situation with Windows and Apple users.

The Collaborative Support Group I have in mind will be open to people who really wanted to collaborate and learn together, not just depend on others — to gain working knowledge on basic stuff including html, CSS and layouting and perhaps basic php — enough to understand conditional statements, so that from basic examples, they can be modified to apply fo more specific purposes.

Right now, as you have noted, many members thought that since they paid Joomlart whatever registration fee they paid, that they are entitled to answers to all questions they wanted to ask. It is easier to ask than to learn, and this mindset of entitlement is entrenched,

I know I do not know many things, but in a collaborative environment there are things I could do to help others while others may be able to help me in other ways. That is the environment I want to foster.

An example would be the one that Menalto, Scotty and I tried to develop in relation to creating a true left column that is collapsible. This can be done more systematically in the Collaborative Support Group that I proposed last Summer for many issues beyond Joomlart templates and other products.

Even Joomlart issues should not be .off limits in such a group. For example, I proposed a much simpler upgrade of Joomlart templates, similar to Joomla upgrades themselves (just upload the upgraded files and/or directories). This is much simpler and safer than the uninstall the old and install the new (for extensions upgrade). Hung did not like it and there was tepid if any acknowledgment to offer such alternative. I have an idea why that might be the case, and not due to the extra work.

But here is the ethical dilemma in the aforementioned example. If such upgrades or features for template created by companies like Joomlart, JT and others, are provided to all in the Collaborative Support Group, I proposed since last Summer, then it will encourage unscrupulous individuals, with no sense of values, to simply get access to pirate copies of templates. This must not be condoned nor become the purpose of such a Collaborative Support Group. A solution to such dilemma would be to restrict access only to those who have legitimate license to a template. There is also a strictly voluntary honor system that those who have access will not become distributors of such items outside of the subgroups.

There are other areas where such collaborative efforts could apply. For example, Joomlart was emphatic enough that they have no obligation to provide technical support concerning Joomla related issues — but we all know that the issues affecting Joomla directly affects how any Joomlart templates or extension function. The problem here is that any request for specific help from the Joomla board may go unanswered, like many of my questions there (or for most voluntary (open source) initiatives — because everyone is just doing what they do in a voluntary spirit.

I discussed more of these in a number of my posts last year, so I won’t repeat them here.

Cornelio

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@phill luckhurst 117909 wrote:</em><blockquote>A php.ini file is just a text file named php.ini. If you have root access you simply browse to php.ini on your server and edit the file as required. Finding the file is simple as in coppermine there is a phpinfo tool in admin tools that allows you to see all the current settings and where to change them.

If your host allows a custom php.ini file then simpliy create the file in notepad and call it php.ini. What you put in there is up to you. Once done simply upload it to wherever your host tells you to put it. Some systems require a restart for the changes to take effect.

As for stern, we try not to be but some users just don’t do what is asked. Some send PM after PM when they are told not to and others are pointed to the relavent section of the manual time and again but they still fail to read it and do what is asked. There is also a language problem, only 2 of the admins are in the UK with the rest being spread worldwide from Iran to Germany to India to Spain etc so sometimes they may come accross as curt but it is just the language barrier, other times people do get pissed of but hey ho it is only a forum. Look me up on there, I use the same user name as here.

Here is a guide Joachim put together on the settings in php.ini

So in your file you could just put

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ; Resource Limits ;
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

max_execution_time = 30 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
    max_input_time = 60 ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
    memory_limit = 8M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (8MB)

and increase things as required.

All this is detailed in this thread.

http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,24088.0.html

Look up your settings in the phpinfo tool described earlier before and after you make changes to make sure they are taking effect.

Hope that helps.</blockquote>

Phil,

It does help and thanks for the link also. I will try it tonight and hope it works.. I use a PageSpinner blank page as my substitute notepads to create blank php and other related files.

This impeded my attempt to use my CPG to optimize my raw images. No problem itself once the file sizes was down to 200kb. This was never a problem before but since the company did its upgrade of all servers, almost all my installed CPGs were no longer accessible or those that were working and the new ones I installed had the memory error problem.

Odd that when I searched a week ago n CPG forum for php.ini, it did not provide the link that you provided. I repeated it today, and it gave me a different set of links , but again not the link you provided above One difference this time is that one of the links included a response from you with the link that you pointed above. The original post from Joaquim was very helpful. It covers topics more than just about php.ini.

I think two years ago, when I was more active in the CPG forums, The issue of searching the CPG forum because Joaquim keep on saying use the search. However, what I found was that if it is a single word, sometimes it even missed the very articles that I am sure should be there. When I used an exact phrase, that I knew I used in one of my post, caused a different problem, sometimes no response. One of the admins tried it himself, and true enough got the same results as I did. The verdict was that there were just too many posts in the CPG, and the search algorithm used by the program is not robust enough. There was a discussion to improve the the search algorithm and someone actually volunteered to do it.

Cornelio

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  cgc0202 15 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum