Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Hello,

I have done quite a lot of work for Joomlart that saved them possibly thousands of dollars if they paid a staff to do the work. This is partly evident from the official Thank You’s I got which should have been more had everyone who I actually helped — those with their problems truly solved used the official Thank You button.

What do I get in return as a payback from Joomlart? Many of my questions requesting for help have been ignored.

So, I will give Joomlart another chance to show me their gratitude. I list below all my posts that were ignored completely or did not get any useful response from s Moderator or Joomlart Staff. I have more to add.

Cornelio

Horizontal (multicolumn) Hot Topic?
    http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/horizontal-multicolumn-hot-topic/

Joomla 1.5 Bug?? Is “Order” and option in JA News (for Joomla 1.5x)?
    http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/bug-is-order-and-option-in-ja-news-for-joomla-1-5x/

Yet another Highslide question
    http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/yet-another-highslide-question/

Installed successfully but has error message
    http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/installed-successfully-but-has-error-message/

Multiple installations (i.e., websites) and a common “Home”
    http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/multiple-installations-i-e-websites-and-a-common-home/
    I answered this myself, but I am trying to find a better way

Why was the original format of JA News from original JA Teline abandoned for …
    http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/why-was-the-original-format-of-ja-news-from-original-ja-teline-abandoned-for/

How do I replace the Powered by Highslide with a more educational link?
    http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/how-do-i-replace-the-powered-by-highslide-with-a-more-educational-link/
    Menalto’s post is not an answer

JA News format for Section Intro Page
    http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/ja-news-format-for-section-intro-page/
    No response. I asked this a few times (as it turned out Joomlart is developing something

How is a QuickStart Kit Prepared?
    http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/how-is-a-quickstart-kit-prepared/

Adding a position (for a new menu) at the top of the logo
    http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/adding-a-position-for-a-new-menu-at-the-top-of-the-logo/
    (Menalto responded but only to ask if I already solved it)

Need for Joomlart Template Fix (Patch) Update without resort to uninstall/reinstall
    http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/need-for-joomlart-template-fix-patch-update-without-resort-to-uninstallreinstall/

What are the limits of a Developer license? And the automated registration proposa
    http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/what-are-the-limits-of-a-developer-license-and-the-automated-registration-proposal/

Difficult questions
    Multi-layered Subcategories and further evolution of JA Teline II
    http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/multi-layered-subcategories-and-further-evolution-of-ja-teline-ii/

Original Teline
    JA Tabs Modifications
    http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/ja-tabs-modifications/

Modified JA News as a separate module
    http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/modified-ja-news-as-a-separate-module/

TomC Moderator

<em>@cgc0202 75261 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hello,

I have done quite a lot of work for Joomlart that saved them possibly thousands of dollars if they paid a staff to do the work. </blockquote>
    Such as ??

questbg Friend

<em>@tcraw1010 75264 wrote:</em><blockquote>Such as ??</blockquote>

I have to say, without the help of Cornelio and Menalto, my site wouldn’t have launched.

Tireless help with bug fixes, customisation, creation of documentation in English, French and Spanish, etc., etc. Take a look through the Teline II board and you’ll see how much work Cornelio has done

Maybe that’s why JA staff are happy to sit back and not assist members, leaving other members to do their work for them … cool.

Hung Dinh Friend

questbg, don’t you recognize that Menalto is JA Staff?
    cgc0202, some of your question are more than a discussion or customization work. However, I will try to get some moderators to look at the list. However, it should be better if you can make your question simple.

questbg Friend

<em>@Hung Dinh 75341 wrote:</em><blockquote>questbg, don’t you recognize that Menalto is JA Staff?
    </blockquote>

My understanding is that Menalto is a Moderator. He has repeated on several occasions to me that he is NOT paid by JoomlArt.

If this is incorrect, then I sincerely apologise, but as I understood things he was not being paid by JoomlArt to assist me, he was doing this out of kindness.

<em>@Hung Dinh 75341 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    cgc0202, some of your question are more than a discussion or customization work. However, I will try to get some moderators to look at the list.
    </blockquote>

If you could also ask a developer to look at my own list of outstanding problems too, I would be extremely grateful:

http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/why-am-i-being-ignored-by-ja-staff/

Many Thanks
    Chris

gaygiorgia Friend

<em>@questbg 75343 wrote:</em><blockquote>My understanding is that Menalto is a Moderator. He has repeated on several occasions to me that he is NOT paid by JoomlArt.

If this is incorrect, then I sincerely apologise</blockquote>
    i’ve understood so too.

Hung Dinh Friend

Originally Posted by questbg
    My understanding is that Menalto is a Moderator. He has repeated on several occasions to me that he is NOT paid by JoomlArt.

If this is incorrect, then I sincerely apologise

gaygiorgia;75363i’ve understood so too.

Menalto is JA Staff as well as our Forum moderator.

<blockquote>If you could also ask a developer to look at my own list of outstanding problems too, I would be extremely grateful:

http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/why-am-i-being-ignored-by-ja-staff/

Many Thanks
    Chris </blockquote>
    Certaintly Chris, they are having break as today is Sat but certainly they got my message a few hours ago.

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@Hung Dinh 75341 wrote:</em><blockquote>questbg, don’t you recognize that Menalto is JA Staff?
    cgc0202, some of your question are more than a discussion or customization work. However, I will try to get some moderators to look at the list. However, it should be better if you can make your question simple.</blockquote>

Thanks Hung,

Hainn has started responding to them. I am studying the one for the Hot Topic module, plus researched related threads, and it will become one of my favorites module. It is so powerful with the randomization, at least with what I have in mind on how to use it. I encountered a bug or something with the text of the Hot Topic though with the fresh install of Joomla 1.5.6-Teline II and I cannot find the problem.

I am going through the responses of Hainn more methodically. And mark each of the above list as solved, when they get resolved.

I will follow your suggestion also to rewrite some of them.

Teline II

I do like Teline II a lot, and I consider it the best magazine template among those I have seen. The fact that Joomlart is the first one to come out with a magazine template says much about what Joomlart can do.

I joined Joomlart because of the original Teline — which I thought then was the most clean news template compared with what was available then. I considered the $70 I paid then to be worth it.

B]Same day I joined, 3 August 2008, I advocated immediately for a news-magazine template[/B] I left Joomlart (did not participate in the forum nor visit Joomalart), and joined Gavick Pro to get their news template, which was quite good and has features that your company should consider. The Gavick Pro modules are very customizable and can be made almostt anything you want. Moreover, the navigational slideshow alone was sold for 40euro (almost US$75) by another company, so it was in this sense much better than the original Teline. I do not like black background though for a online newspaper, so I radically changed the Gavick Pro News template.

Both the original Teline and the Gavick Pro Newsportal were eclipsed when you came up with Teline II — the only reason why I decided to Joomlart. It is appaent that I am not the only one who has this opinion — more than 45% of all posts in the Forum are Teline II related.

There are more that could be done with Teline II so that it will remain ahead of the other news-magazine templates that came out after. I already outlined some of these in my post on 3 August 2007, so I will not repeat them here.

The goal of the Teline series must be a template that could be as good as the professional online templates used by papers like the New York Times.

JA News Component

You will find that one of the unanswered post above advocatged for what turned out more than two months later to be the JA News Component. I was frustrated because I and a few members posted on this. I think if someone would have just stated that you are working on it, without divulging the secret, then I would not be so harsh on Jomlart.

I do not know how to use it yet but I think the JA News component will turn out to be even much better than what I have in mind.. However, we need better and more detailed Manual on the JA News Component please.

Template IFix) Patch Update

If you have read many of the posts in Teline II, you will find that the issues posted inmany new threads would have been avoided if there is a Teline II (Fixt) Patch Update. If Hainn will collaborate with me on this, I will provide a proof of concept that it is easy to prepare a
    Template IFix) Patch Update for many many templates. But, the more important thing is that it will save members so much time from resolving potential “randome errors” and dealing with upgrade of higly customized site.

And, if the members do not make mistakes, there wil be less unnecessary Forum threads posted. Less to respond to by Moderators and Staff. And thus in the end save you money. If the members are happy, there will be less posts like this. It will reflect good on Joomlart and I am sure they will be more predisposed to think more positively about Joomlart.

Cornelio

hmmmm3 Friend

Were cgc0202 questions answered? Specifically, Im interested in the one about “How do I replace the Powered by Highslide with a more educational link?”

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@hmmmm3 117762 wrote:</em><blockquote>Were cgc0202 questions answered? Specifically, Im interested in the one about “How do I replace the Powered by Highslide with a more educational link?”</blockquote>

Wow, that was almost a lifetime ago. I was surprised this surfaced, again. Since I started this, I wish I could say all of them were answered, but NO. The important thing is that the once most crucial to me have been answered, but agreement, in different posts.

Thanks to Hainn, and other staff and members here, through more careful collaborative effort bu October 2008, the key flaws of Teline II for Joomla 1.5.x have been sufficiently threshed out, so that I opted to move from Joomla 1.0.x to Joomla 1.5.x-Teline II.

Many of them have been integrated in the latest versions of Teline II. There are some however, like the randomizer feature for articles (see below), must be incorporated specifically by each website creator. This is also true if one moves centain modules around — like creating a Hot Topic module that is horizontal rather than the default vertical, in the “left” or “right” positition..

Teline II is far from perfect. More recently, as a collaborative effort, we might have found a solution to a feature I have requested for quite sometime:

How do I make a new position collapsible?

http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/how-do-i-make-a-new-position-collapsible/

However, since I came back again, after many months away from the Joomlart Forums, many of the questions being asked here in Teline II right now are CSS related layout issues — if one gets familiar with CSS and layouting, as every serious website own must, they could be answered quite readily. It requires only two skills:

1. Know how to use the “Page Source” function of the browser you are using to locate what you want changed
    2. Get familiar with basic CSS specifications

It is tedious, but it is well worth the effort — it will allow you to create a website that will actually what you want. I have spent quite a great amount of time, since I downloaded Teline II, tweaking the layout.

The problem sometimes is that we find it easier to post questions and demand answers, right away, if I might add.:) But, in the end, we all suffer, especially us, the individual website developers. That is a personal opinion though.

As to your specific inquiry above, which requires more scripting knowledge, there has been a number of posts regarding the issue, but after I posted the above list, I realized the aforementioned module, I believe called the Media???, is too cumbersome to maintain, as configured right now — you have to manually replace them.

I have not posted it yet, but I wanted to suggest more dynamic modules, for example, for the You Tube and the Media modules. Otherwise, I have no plan of including the You Tube and the Media modules.

In the meantime, a more dynamic module, that could do the same goal as I wanted for media module, is referred to as the “Hot Topic” module — to achieve some of the functional uses I initially considered for the static Media module.

Aside from its content, being dynamic (automatically integrates any article included), it is possible also to randomize what appears in the Hot Topic module. Moreover, using the Hot Topic admin manager, it is also possible to select specific sections or categories and thus the articles that can then dynamically appear in a Hot Topic module.

And another thing — to borrow from Steve Jobs (of Apple) — since modules can be cloned (make copies), placed anywhere in a page, as well as select where they appear — sections, categories, homepage, etc. — only our capability to imagine can limit what we can do with the potential of the Hot Topic module.

And for more “article specific” presentation of images — as a slide show even — I found the SIGPRO by Joomlaworks to be a very simple but quite powerful, not only as a simple slide show plugin but more because it is page specific. To my knowledge, I have not encountered any slideshow or image presentation application with similar capabilities,

As important, the way it is configured, the images will not require a database storage, like dedicated galleries. Also, unlike dedicated galleries, like Coppermine PhotoGallery, it is possible to add and delete the images in specific without any need to revise the page specific scripts.

The only flaw SIGPRO was that it almost took forever for Joomlaworks to update the plugin to be compatible with Joomla 1.5.x. And, if you think Joomlart is negligent with its forum support, become a member of Joomlaworks first. Thus, there are features that I would have liked SIGPRO to have, like the ability to use complete URL for example (but this has its price, by making the script too complex) in order to have a central depository of images, that you might want accessed by different websites or domains. This feature might be balanced by the loss of simplicity of SIGPRO which sometimes might be more desirable.

For some websites, I still want to have a dedicated slideshow, like the one that Joomlaworks has, but with more versatile (found in some slideshow). Again, the only reason why I did not buy the Joomlaworks, is the observation that they are too slow to upgrade and to provide technical support. Right now, none of the slide show presentations provided by Joomlart , indluding the separate extension, meet the requirements I wanted. I am not really interested with just having a slideshow just as another of those “whistles and bells” added to a site.

I have more in mind, but again, I should spend more time creating my websites — rather than spending most of my time improving the template.

In the end, it is the focus and the contents associated with the goals that matter. Craigslist is a very good example of a website that looks horrible, when it comes to layout. Not a single pic, nor any whistles and bells to catch your attention.

On the other hand, its simplicity in design plus a more versatile software makes it so fast to load and navigate. More significant, it truly addressed what a community of online visitors want.

Cornelio

Phill Moderator

I think comparing sigpro to coppermine is a bit chalk and cheese. Sigpro is nothing new and most of the things in that can be achieved without the need to spend cash on a plugin, all it really does is make it easier to include your pics. YooGallery is very similar. JoomlaArt have a gallery module that with a little work could do the same thing. Thanks for the heads up though, some stuff on joomlaworks has given me some ideas.

I would love to see your completed site, do you have a link.

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@phill luckhurst 117782 wrote:</em><blockquote>I think comparing sigpro to coppermine is a bit chalk and cheese. Sigpro is nothing new and most of the things in that can be achieved without the need to spend cash on a plugin, all it really does is make it easier to include your pics. YooGallery is very similar. JoomlaArt have a gallery module that with a little work could do the same thing. Thanks for the heads up though, some stuff on joomlaworks has given me some ideas.

I would love to see your completed site, do you have a link.</blockquote>

phill luckhurst,

[Update: I just viewed the tutorial, after posting this, and YooGallery is indeed page specific. It looks promising and features not in the SIGPRO (like the actual slideshow presentation styles) but since it is commercial, at this time, it might be too early to replace SIGPRO with another similar program. I will monitor the development and see if I can request the developers to integrate the features I have in mind, like using the individual images to be linkable to point to other articles, sections or categoris within the Joomla site, or even outside sites.]

I have one question for you: Is Yougallery page specific? I briefly looked at the demo, and it is quite similar to the other slideshow Joomla extensions I have seen before. I do not want a slide show itself to be presented, unless the visitor wanted to do so.

My own preference is the ability to use specific images in a SIGPRO or whatever image slide show to become themselves a way to transport a visitor to other articles or sites, altogether. Visitors can only look at the same pictures, so much. Like baby photos, only the parents, or interested relatives may have any desire to look at the same photos, again. So, as far as I am concerned, current slideshows, and even dedicated photgalleries have limited and temporal appeal.

Initially, I was enamored with extensions but I had a wet blanket thrown on my face, when I realized that many third party extensions creator are not always dependent to provide upgrades, as Joomla is upgraded. I am more careful now in deciding whether to use a extension — no matter how good it might be.

More important, I realized that the more plugins and modules you add, the slower the Joomla website becomes. For these reasons, I decided to keep a dedicated photogallery, like the Coppermine Photogallery (CPG), Forums, and other stand alone and simply hyperlinked as needed to a Joomla page I create.

Thus, I use both Coppermine Photogallery (CPG) and SIGPRO but for different purposes. In fact, there is another application associated with CPG, called CPMFetch. A Gernan developed an extension of CPMFetch, but it is more suitable for site wide presentation of images — plus, it reverts back to the gallery. The JA Hot Topic serves my purpose better because it is not photo slide presentation per se that I wanted to use the images for but more to entice visitors to click on them to visit other pages — within the Joomla site.

As I stated, in the previous post, for my own purpose, I want a page specific presentation of a slide show that will keep the visitor back to the page. If I want to point the visitor to one of my CPG galleries, I could simply link an image in the article to a gallery category or album.

Right now though, for some reason, my hosting service has made quite a few changes, I could no longer optimize my raw images using CPG — memory issues. Do you know how to create php.ini? I have to change the “memory allocation” to make it work again, but I do not know how to create php.ini — CPG does not provide a sample, and my hosting service simply gave me a generic answer, that I need to change the memory allocation in the php.ini.

Right now, I have only tried using the SIGPRO in my personal website, something that I have only shared so far to my sister to show her my internet greeting for her birthday (she lives in the UK). Most of the contents would be for family only. So, I can’t show it to you, until I have created more general audience articles. When I get a chance, I will place a demo in one of my Sandbox, and link it here.

I actually encountered some problems with the Tab, in my personal site, but since I cannot show the site in public, I could not even ask the technical question here. This is rather bizzare because I could not replicate the problem in other demo sites.

I had SIGPRO quite sometime ago. Unfortunately, when the 1.5 version became available, it seemed to be incompatible with earlier versions of Teline II. There is a separate post on this, in the Joomlart Forum, late last year to explain the cause of the incompatibility. I am not sure if Joomlart has made any changes, but when I tried in again, it seemed to be working with the latest Joomla 1.5.9-Teline II v1.6.

There are indeed many extensions from Joomlaworks, but after the almost a year delay in the creation of the Joomla 1.5 SIGPRO, I decided not to depend too much on the Joomlaworks. The creator is also terrible in answering questions.

My preference right now is that if we could set up the Collaborative Support Group that we have discussed last year, one of the issues that I would like to have as a group project would be to address issues, such as those discussed here — as far as image

Cornelio

mj1256 Friend

you are refering to a board that certifies and regulates joomla templates and extensions for quality control and rate their providers for customer service and prompt updates

Phill Moderator

<em>@cgc0202 117790 wrote:</em><blockquote>phill luckhurst,

Thus, I use both Coppermine Photogallery (CPG) and SIGPRO but for different purposes. In fact, there is another application associated with CPG, called CPMFetch. A Gernan developed an extension of CPMFetch, but it is more suitable for site wide presentation of images — plus, it reverts back to the gallery. The JA Hot Topic serves my purpose better because it is not photo slide presentation per se that I wanted to use the images for but more to entice visitors to click on them to visit other pages — within the Joomla site.

As I stated, in the previous post, for my own purpose, I want a page specific presentation of a slide show that will keep the visitor back to the page. If I want to point the visitor to one of my CPG galleries, I could simply link an image in the article to a gallery category or album.

Right now though, for some reason, my hosting service has made quite a few changes, I could no longer optimize my raw images using CPG — memory issues. Do you know how to create php.ini? I have to change the “memory allocation” to make it work again, but I do not know how to create php.ini — CPG does not provide a sample, and my hosting service simply gave me a generic answer, that I need to change the memory allocation in the php.ini.

Cornelio</blockquote>

As I am a supporter on the CPG forums I know quite a bit about it. So I have used Vuud’s cpgfetch and it is great. I have also written a few slideshow extensions for coppermine and I am curently working on one to embed images into joomla using a tag and a list of PID’s to select the images. If I can get it to work well I will post details here.

As for setting your php.ini, are you alowed by your host to do this?
    Many shared hosts prevent you from adjusting the php settings.

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@phill luckhurst 117831 wrote:</em><blockquote>As I am a supporter on the CPG forums I know quite a bit about it. So I have used Vuud’s cpgfetch and it is great. I have also written a few slideshow extensions for coppermine and I am curently working on one to embed images into joomla using a tag and a list of PID’s to select the images. If I can get it to work well I will post details here.

As for setting your php.ini, are you alowed by your host to do this?
    Many shared hosts prevent you from adjusting the php settings.</blockquote>

Hey Phil,

That’s great to know.

My hosting service says I could place one, I just have to create it myself. I read the tutorial in the hosting site, and it gives an idea what to change, but it does not give a sample php.ini that I could then copy and paste, or what would be best would be a file that is downloadable, like the htaccess-txt that is simply converted to .htaccess to activate.

I have no clue actually how to create php.ini. Do you know how to create php.ini? I search the CPG forum and it does stated that it is the php.ini that is needed. Again, I have not seen any sample php.ini file. You know how stern the main Admin there could be.

I have a gazillion CPG sites. Are you an expert on it? Yeah, I like Vuud’s CPMFetch, I even created a simple html/php page to show how several dozens of independent CPG galleries can have all the images in these galleries randomly presented in a single page.

I think it is Diers(?) who developed an extension for Joomla. I tried it once, but it is a site wide — no page specific like the SIGPRO and YouGallery. I checked the tutorial and it is quite informative. Their membership fees are quite steep though. Most extensions that I bought are usually “lifetime” update. But, it looks in the case of YouGallery, since you can download only via the club, if you are a member, so the business plan is more like “template companies” — something that I am not really too kin about. I would rather pay for single templates with the right to the updates.

Which Joomlart module did you mention in your previous post that can be modified to do the same thing as SIGPRO or YouGallery, i.e., page specific? Someone from Boston actually developed a similar slideshow (I forgot now whether it is page specific), I tried to contact her but I am not sure whether the email she posted was no longer working or she did not respond. Typical for many “free stuff”

Cornelio

Cornelio

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  cgc0202 15 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum