Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

A user called redsent posted this somewhere and it worked for me…

the width of the columns is set in the layout file which is an xml file found in “templatesja_purity_iietclayouts” or accessed via the backend and template manager.
    It will depend on which layout you have set as your defualt for your site but the line you are looking for should be something like this:

<blocks name=”middle” colwidth=”22.5″>
    <block name=”left1″>left</block>
    <block name=”right1″>right</block>
    </blocks>

the colwidth bit is where it is set, this is set to 22.5% of the total width, this means that the left and right columns take up 22.5% each and then the main takes up the remaining 55%. As far as i am aware this is the only place it can be changed.

You can set each col width by putting this parameter next to each column block name:

<blocks name=”middle”>
    <block name=”left1″ colwidth=”15″>left</block>
    <block name=”right1″>right</block>
    </blocks>

vineyardseashell Friend

Has anyone been successful in altering either the Sl1-3 or right position widths to allow a standard banner ad size? For example to accept a:

1 column 300x 250
    2 column 120 x 60
    1 column 240 x 400
    1 column 234 x 60

Thanks,
    Vineyardseashell

pixelzombie Friend

Hi vineyardseashell,
    please check the small tutorial about changing spotlight modules here: http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/fixing-width-of-user1-10-positions-in-ja_t3_blank-layout/#post-427588

Cheers

Frank

vineyardseashell Friend

Thanks Frank- I’ll check it out.

vineyardseashell Friend

Hi there,

I’m not trying to beat a dead horse, but I am trying to figure out (and learn) how to alter the template so it best meets my needs. I do need to have an area for banner ads that is 300 x 250 pixels.Perhaps in my previous posts, I didn’t properly explain what I want to, or (most likely) don’t exactly understand what I need to do in order to make the changes I need.

I figured out how to change things around with Firebug (which I am still learning about), but I’m just not sure how to do it in the template file area.

I am happy with the front page as it is- I don’t want to overpower it with banner ads. But, on the category blog pages and the article pages, I would like to have the 300 x 250 banner ads. Sample pictures are attached.

So I’m asking- In order to make changes for these pages, do I need to make a clone of the template; in the clone files change the css files and then apply the alter clone to the specific pages? Do I need to do different? Or, just totally give up on the idea?

Thanks for having patience with me 🙂

Vineyardseashell

1. sample_1
    2. sample_2
    radstu Friend

Having just gotten there myself, here’s what I’m using for my layout text.

I updated the specialwidth=”50″ to 33 on block name topsl1 and for blocks name middle the colwidth to 33

This is under Template Manager, Edit Style, Layouts Tab, “Default” Layout name, Action “Edit”

To change it up on the homepage vs sub pages, I assume you’d clone the Default, name the new layout “Subpages” or something like that, change the values similarly to the notes above, and then apply that layout to the sub pages.

Here’s the Layout code I used to get a right sidebar and top area suitable for 300×250 DFP ads, and an image showing it too:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <layout name="desktop">
    <!--Extra css load for this layout-->
    <stylesheets>
    </stylesheets>
    <blocks name="top" style="xhtml">
    <block name="absolute" type="modules" style="raw">absolute</block>
    <block name="cpanel" type="usertools/cpanel"></block>
    <block name="top-panel" type="modules" style="raw" main-inner="1">top-panel</block>
    <block name="topmenu" type="topmenu" ></block>
    <block name="header" type="header" ></block>
    <block name="mainnav" type="mainnav" ></block>
    <block name="topbar" type="topbar"></block>
    <block name="breadcrums" type="breadcrums"></block>
    <block name="slideshow" type="modules" main-inner="1">slideshow</block>
    <block name="topsl1" type="spotlight" special="left" specialwidth="33" main-inner="1" >sl1-1,sl1-2,sl1-3</block>
    <block name="topsl2" main-inner="1">slider</block>
    <block name="topsl3" type="spotlight" main-inner="1">user1,user2,user3,user4</block>
    </blocks>
    <blocks name="middle" colwidth="33" main-inner="1">
    <block name="content-mass-top">content-mass-top</block>
    <block name="content-mass-bottom">content-mass-bottom</block>
    <block name="inset2">left</block>
    <block name="right1">right</block>
    </blocks>
    <blocks name="bottom" style="xhtml">
    <block name="botsl" type="spotlight" wrap-inner="1" >user5,user6,user7,user8</block>
    <block name="botsl1" type="spotlight" main-inner="1" wrap-inner="1">menu-footer</block>
    <block name="botsl2" type="spotlight" special="left" specialwidth="75" main-inner="1" >foot-left,foot-right</block>
    <block name="footer" type="footer" ></block>
    </blocks>
    </layout>

1. columns2
    vineyardseashell Friend

Thank you Radstu. That was very helpful. Usually for me, playing with codes = disaster. I’ll make the clones and go from there

Thanks again

Vineyardseashell

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

This topic contains 22 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  vineyardseashell 12 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum