Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Hi there,

Nex is a really snappy template, and I like it!

I need to increase the right module position to be 300px in width, while keeping the other module positions the same size as they are now.

I know how to increase the template width, but am not sure how to apply that increase to only the right module position. Is there someone who could point me in the right direction?

Thanks, and have a Happy New Year’s!!

Remember, it’s always less expensive to take a taxi 😀 than get a DUI :((

Cheryll

TomC Moderator

Greetings Cheryll – and a Safe & Happy New Year to you as well !!

In order to best try to assist you, please provide the url of your recently installed JA Nex template.
    Also, will need you to go into your Template Manager–>General Settings … and set “Optimize CSS” to “No” (temporarily).

Thanks . . . and if I’m not able to get back to you before our respective New Year’s Eve celebrations begin, I will most definitely get back to assist you in 2012. 😎

vineyardseashell Friend

Hi TomC,

Thank you for the reply. Since the site is offline, I have sent you a PM with the log in details of the site. If you look under the ‘Visit Us’ menu item, you can see what I would like to do with the right module position and why I would like to expand it to 300 px.

Cheryll

P.S. I forgot to add, that the Optimize CSS is already set to No.

TomC Moderator

Okay, this is going to take a little bit of modification of a handful of different CSS properties.

First of all, ALWAYS MAKE A BACK-UP OF YOUR ORIGINAL CONFIGURATIONS to revert back to if need be.

Okay, if you’re wanting the right module size(s) to be 300px in width – with the other modules maintaining their current width – you are going to have to increase the overal width of the site.

Add the following at/about line 22 within plugins/system/jat3/jat3/base-themes/default/css/template.css

<blockquote>body#bd .main {
    width: 1200px;
    }
    </blockquote>

Depending on how you want your final result to appear, you can (of course) play around with that width number.

Next, open templates/ja_nex/css/template.css . . . .

at line 921, you should see the following:

<blockquote>#ja-topsl1 div.ja-moduletable {
    margin-bottom: 0;
    }
    </blockquote>

modify as follows . . .

<blockquote>#ja-topsl1 div.ja-moduletable {
    margin-bottom: 0;
    width: 300px;
    }
    </blockquote>

This will increase your right column/box to 300px in width.

Then – same template.css file – at line 409, you should see the following

<blockquote>div.ja-moduletable.no-padding .ja-box-ct {
    padding: 0;
    }
    </blockquote>

modify as follows . . .

<blockquote>div.ja-moduletable.no-padding .ja-box-ct {
    padding: 0;
    width: 500px;
    }
    </blockquote>

SAVE CHANGES – CLEAR CACHE – REFRESH PAGE

Let me know if that comes close to what you were looking for. As I said, you will likely need to do some additional “fine tuning” of some of the CSS parameters to get it just right – but this can be both fun and educational . . . and this is how we learn.

vineyardseashell Friend

Hi TomC,

Thank you so much for taking the time and looking at the site for me, plus providing fabulous instructions on how to accomplish my mission! One can never learn enough.

Your help is much appreciated 🙂

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Cheryll

TomC Moderator

You are most welcome, Cheryll 🙂

Did my suggestions achieve the kind of results you were hoping for?

vineyardseashell Friend

Hi TomC,

I’m between runs right now (I drive a school bus), and after the long weekend, I needed a nap this morning 🙂

I briefly changed the codes to see what it would do, and it did help, but wasn’t exactly where I wanted to be. So, I put things back in place. I’ll have more time this evening to look at it more closely and play around with it.

I will let you know.

Thanks again,

Cheryll

vineyardseashell Friend

Hi TomC,

I just wanted to say thank you again for all your help.

My coding skills are not that great, but following your directions, I was able to make SL1 position 300 px wide, but couldn’t figure out how to keep the remaining module positions and padding the same size they currently are, or do the same on the lower regions.

I’m sure it has something to do with the ‘ <div id=”ja-mainbody” style=”width:75%”>’, but I couldn’t find it in any of the files I surfed through.

Despite really liking the template because it is a fabulous cross between Teline IV, which I found too busy but offering plenty of module positions, and Rave which is clean-looking but doesn’t offer much in the way of module positions.

None-the-less, due to time constraints, I’ve decided to pass on the template, and just stick with Rave for now.

I really do appreciate all your assistance, and I did learn how to do a couple of more things with coding, thanks to you

Thanks again,

Cheryll

P.S. After mulling it over for a few days, I’ve decided to go ahead and keep the template.

syncrocrick Friend

Tom

I am still looking at JA NEx as a replacement, and if I go with it I will need a 300 right column too.
    However I need to stay at the same width.

If you look at bbc, fox, reuters, cnn, they all have advertisements of 300×300 on the right.

Is there a way to change the right column above the fold only to 300 (above the “Editor’s Pick” module), and reduce the width of the left column so the overall width stay the same?

But again, this would only be for the top section, the 4 columns below the middle module that stretches across would remain the same (not sure if you follow me – it would end up looking just like CNN.com)

thank you!

radstu Friend

I’ve tried the suggestions outlined above for the user who hoped to keep everything already on the page the same size while at the same time increasing the right-sidebar to 300px.

My interest however is not to increase the width of the template to 1200, but to keep the overall site at the default 990 while increasing the right side to 300px (and eventually unpublishing one column of those central modules, so the site effectively is 3 columns on the homepage and 2 columns later … main body + 300px right sidebar)

I tried editing the 75% / 25% relationship, but that made the top area quite wonky. I also tried adding widths as suggested above to the two areas in template.css but that also seemed to have a variety of unintended consequences. I would assume we could just change the width of the right zone and unpublish that column, but it seems like there’s something I’m missing. Any ideas?

Image of Site for reference (top width adjustments via a change to the Layouts Default layout name seemed to work on the top part as posted elsewhere in this templates forum)

http://migration2.ournetnews.com/

1. columns
    radstu Friend

Got the news posts in that middle area sorted out, that’s a nice module (the ja-news one) … but the right position is still stuck at 25% of the page width instead of 33%

radstu Friend

Am I asking the wrong question somehow, or am I in the wrong place for support questions? Happy to repost in the right spot if necessary.

steinar Friend

Hi radstu,

Google Safe Browsing intercepts visits to your site with a malware warning!

radstu Friend

Greetings – the main http://www.ournetnews.com was hacked a few days back, prompting the company to hire us to create the new version rollout that’s underway. (Their current site is an old 1.0 version of Joomla they’re using, unpatched as far as I can tell).

It looks like Google also applies that warning to all subdomains associated with a domain that has been hacked, including the subsequently provisioned migration subdomains (such as migration2.ournetnews.com where the current site is being tweaked). These domains are indeed quite clear of any malware.

There’s a screenshot included in my post as well for anyone not keen on passing by google’s mis-applied warning.

pixelzombie Friend

Hi radstu,

in order to check your layout please post it here. Also can you please provide login information to your site? PM is fine 🙂

Thanks in advance!

Frank

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

This topic contains 22 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  vineyardseashell 12 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum