Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hello,

I am using the Teline 2 on J1.5.3

I would like to add at the footer: “Developed By”

Where should I go to find that, please?

jwellman Friend

You cannot claim development but you can delete or alter the text. You can find it in your template/index.php file.

ukfraternite Friend

Hello JwellMan,

I believe, I have read somewhere that IT IS ALLOWED to place “Develpoed by (your company name” at the footer, next to the copyright.

UNLESS I am wrong.

I could not find the copyrights lines in the Templates/index.php

jwellman Friend

I’m just going by what is written on their site…here is what is said:

Written by Hung Dinh
    Yes. You can edit or remove the JoomlArt copyright information at the bottom of the template. You can claim the copyright notice “All right reserved”, however the claim on creation of the template, such as:”Designed by Your Company”…are not allowed. Allowed: Copyright � 2005 – 2006 Your Company. Developed by Your Company Not Allowed : Copyright � 2005 – 2006 Your Company. Designed by Your Company

You can read more on their FAQ’s page located here:
    http://www.joomlart.com/joomla_templates_club_faqs/448.html

jwellman Friend

<em>@ukfraternite 70809 wrote:</em><blockquote>I could not find the copyrights lines in the Templates/index.php</blockquote>
    Try looking in your templates footer.php Hope you find it!

ukfraternite Friend

I can NOT find.

This is totally different from Teline 1.

cgc0202 Friend

I just cannot find it now.:) It is in one of the more than a thousand posts I had.

And, no, it is not in the footer.php

But, I agree with jwellman in regard the use of the phrase “Developed by…”

The backbone program itself was developed by millions of Joomla Contributors, many unrecognized and unpaid volunteers.

The only thing that Joomlart did was the template design, but it is an artistic work, so they can claim “Designed by Joomlart” that they will allow you to remove, for as many license you have paid for.

What you can retain as already mentioned would be “An all rights reserved” and the Copyright name comes before your “site name”.

The content you can copyright but not claim development of the entire thing. It would be akin to claiming that you built your beautiful house because you are very proud of it. But, if you hired an Architect and a good Contractor who were actually instrumental in building the house then it becomes an ethical issue — what what you should and should not do.

No one may be able to prevent you from doing what you want because I am not too sure that Joomlart goes through all the sites of their customers (existing and previous).

Be very careful though, some programmers sometimes include a backdoor. In theory, if you are in violation of the rules, through such backdoor they would then have every legal right to deactivate your site. And, they do not even have to tell you.

Cornelio

unixboymd Friend

Any programmer that uses such a tactic to “deactivate” your site would themselves be liable to legal action by the site owner.

They only thing that a developer could do, if they thought the site owner was in violation of an agreement between the 2 parties, would be to take the site owner to court.

Doing anything else is unethical, immoral, and probably illegeal.

So please don’t pay any attention to people that make statements like that.

<em>@cgc0202 70848 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    Be very careful though, some programmers sometimes include a backdoor. In theory, if you are in violation of the rules, through such backdoor they would then have every legal right to deactivate your site. And, they do not even have to tell you.</blockquote>

Anyways, back to your question. While it could be considered to be unethical, by some, to display a DEVELOPED BY tag it may be possible for you to do so – unless it specificly states that you may not in the agreement you have between JA, when you purchased a membership. What is says in the FAQ’s is irrevelant, because the FAQ’s are not a part of the agreement.

With all that being said, I use a variation of different tags – SITE MANAGED BY, MAINTAINED BY, HOSTED BY, CONSTRUCTED BY, etc.

ukfraternite Friend

Thank you all,

I am still looking for WHERE to find those files.

<blockquote>SITE MANAGED BY, MAINTAINED BY, HOSTED BY, CONSTRUCTED BY </blockquote>
    I will definitely use one of these.

Where to find the files?

bossep Friend

First of all this is more an ethical question than legal.
    In case of JA to claim design by is ridiculous if some should claim this
    it is Joomla or PHP! Both of them this is Open Source and any one is allowed to use it!

The template is only a small part of the whole thing.
    This is like DuPont should claim the right to design by in case of a car
    and tell Porsche that they can’t use design by Porsche.
    See how ridiculous that sounds?

We are doing the same thing as the car industry. We buy or get components from different manufacturers and we can use them to DESIGN OUR WEB SITES according to our agreements. For instance Bosch can put on the spark-plug, designed by Bosch but not use a picture and say Designed by Bosch and use a photo of a Porsche.

As long as we have the right to modify the template and it is not explicit that we can’t do that you can put anything you like on it.

There is a BIG IF here. As unixboymd so rightly say, if you have agreed to NOT use the design by in the agreement you accepted signing up to the club then you cant use it!
    But it is unethical on JA and other template clubs to use Design by on our sites! What THEY could claim is Template designed by….

To change this go to templates => ja_teline_ii=>html=>mod_footer=>default.php

Bosse

pbear2125 Friend

Thank you Bosse!! 🙂

unixboymd Friend

While reading the TOS, I did discover that you can use DEVELOPED BY but you can not use DESIGNED BY.

Sherlock Friend

Hi all
    can i mark this topic is solved ?

bossep Friend

in my opinion yes,
    Bosse

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  bossep 15 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum