Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

As a Developer Member, I have to go through a fair share of templates through the demo (which unfortunately is down at the moment) to choose the one I need. But even so, I have barely exceeded 30 downloads from the download section.

But I’ve seen Standard Members (some who’ve been with us for less than a year through to about 3 years) with over 100 downloads (the highest I’ve seen at about 400).

Why would someone download so many templates? Is there not a limit of downloads you can make before it gets looked at by JA Staff? It’s the equivalent of downloading each template more than 3 times.

There could be password sharing going on possibly!

Just a thought – no accusations being made here.

anisjolly Friend

i’ve downloaded quite a few – *looks on the left now* but i’ve in the past downloaded the template in order to figure out the problems other people are having and then finding a solution for them.

After that – i tend to keep them but not for commercial use or for a published domain. it’s more or less on my dev environment.

but yeah – why would people download in excess of 400 – not that i’m that bothered? 😀

ShannonN Friend

I’ve downloaded 170 I think but due to computer hdd crashes backup external drive crashes, system upgrades and template upgrades I guess thats not that many since 2006?

hanifahmed Friend

ShannonN;115049I’ve downloaded 170 I think but due to computer hdd crashes backup external drive crashes, system upgrades and template upgrades I guess thats not that many since 2006?

170 downloads over 3 years is reasonable I think. Especially since many developers here make money of off JoomlArt. Roughly 1 template a week for 3 years!

But 400 is just over the top! Even 100 is over the top for someone whos had a subscription for a year or less. It’s like downloading one everyday!

It makes me suspicious.

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@hanifahmed 115026 wrote:</em><blockquote>As a Developer Member, I have to go through a fair share of templates through the demo (which unfortunately is down at the moment) to choose the one I need. But even so, I have barely exceeded 30 downloads from the download section.

But I’ve seen Standard Members (some who’ve been with us for less than a year through to about 3 years) with over 100 downloads (the highest I’ve seen at about 400).

Why would someone download so many templates? Is there not a limit of downloads you can make before it gets looked at by JA Staff? It’s the equivalent of downloading each template more than 3 times.

There could be password sharing going on possibly!

Just a thought – no accusations being made here.</blockquote>

I can only speak for my party, btw, do not get the impression all the members that are shown as only regular members are those. In your user CP you can choose among “Groups” as which group you want to be identified as in the forum. You can even choose to be shown as an unlicensed members also when you are a licensed one, this is one more option.

And why I have so many downloads? First of all, I joined in September 2008, so at this point of time with all the template there were, I did not know what to choose, so I downloaded a mass, nearly all of them already at this point of time. Next thing is, I store them on my disk, sometimes I need one template again, as to some extension I want. So I download again the newest version. Now over the time all the versions were also updated, so I downloaded again most of those I like, over and over again, partly deleting all the old ones from my disk again. I rather keep those on my HD, as sometimes the access to the forums is slow and same to the download section.

TO THE VERSIONING: As a developer member you should take care of the numbers shown in the template download section, so you see that all those change with time going by, bugs are fixed, Joomla Versions are updated, extensions too. So, you even name it, the site is down often, and for not sitting there coming up with such thoughts, you could have a dedicated folder on your Computer, where you have a constant pool of the newest versions of all the templates you get here. Like an own SVN. This is how pros work…;)

So, over the time the count grows, but should I care or feel like “I do not know….”? Is there something bad or something with having a high download count.

Sometimes members come up with such comments and others are about to feel “strange”, like someone comes up with a suspicion about something, also when you say no accusations made. But hey, on what point shall it go otherwise?;)

What is when any template club closes suddenly, as to some not public lawsuit against it or anything else like that, I always keep the ones I paid for, or later I may not have access no more, as the site is not more there.

One other thing is “stupidity”…who cares.

And, is it your business how people act, is it even your business when some people do things with templates you do not like, is your business to accuse or get suspicious? It is not your business, even or especially when it is about such Warezthings you all come up with also when not mentioning it, it is only the business of Joomlart.com!

I come from Germany and the pastime of my country shows that such behaviour lead to what you all know about the past of my country. The Gestapo and their followers came up with the same stuff, “What are they doing…spy them out, get suspicious, and report people who you only get a bit suspicious about they could in some way support the enemy….”This way a lot of innocent people were…. TODAY, this still happens all over the world, as you can see when watching CNN or any other news or reading the newspapers, so learn from it! THIS IS NEARLY MOBBING, AND IT HAPPENS ALSO IN ANY BUSINESS ANYWHERE ANYDAY! People accuse people for nothing, just because they have the time for if…In Business there is a comparable faction present that always take care of other people’s business, and not in positive ways like “Hey, wow, so many credits, how did you get those”….or “Wow, so many downloads, you must have a lot of work…”. Would you call those people naive, no they are straight up forward and to do not look out back, left and right what the others not even do but wonna see something that does not exist in those but in those they mostly do not even accuse.;)

And here it could be that innocent members get penalized in case such comments like yours are taken serious and this is nowadays also something really bad for business and the individuals that suffer from such accusations in case such would lead to false decisions by staff!!

SO, IN OTHER WORDS, DO NOT OFFEND OTHER MEMBERS BY THINKING IT IS YOUR BUSINESS TO WATCH WHAT THEY DO, HOW HIGH THEIR DOWNLOAD COUNT IS, HOW MANY CREDITS THEY HAVE, HOW FAST THEY GAIN THOSE AND WHAT THEY DO WITH IT. IF THEY ARE UNLICENSED MEMBERS, IF THIS AND THAT! THIS IS THE BUSINESS OF JOOMLART.COM AND NOT YOURS! THANKS AND STOP THIS, PLEASE!

Thanks and NEVER AGAIN!

AND DO NOT COME NOW, WITH WHY I BRING SUCH EXAMPLES, IT WAS JUST SOME TALK, YOU GUYS ONLY CAUSED IT! UNDERSTANING, THAN THANKS! I wish the thread will be closed or deleted, makes no sense at all…

You crossed lines….and p.s. do not use the demo content! You know why…

TomC Moderator

I only download what I need . . . I’m not a “collector”

TomC Moderator

<em>@wooohanetworks 115074 wrote:</em><blockquote>

SO, IN OTHER WORDS, DO NOT OFFEND OTHER MEMBERS BY THINKING IT IS YOUR BUSINESS TO WATCH WHAT THEY DO, HOW HIGH THEIR DOWNLOAD COUNT IS, HOW MANY CREDITS THEY HAVE, HOW FAST THEY GAIN THOSE AND WHAT THEY DO WITH IT. IF THEY ARE UNLICENSED MEMBERS, IF THIS AND THAT! THIS IS THE BUSINESS OF JOOMLART.COM AND NOT YOURS! THANKS AND STOP THIS, PLEASE!

Thanks and NEVER AGAIN!

You crossed lines….and p.s. do not use the demo content! You know why…</blockquote>
    Dude, seriously . . . Get over yourself.

The guy asked a question because he was curious . . . he even clearly said he was not making any accusations.

ShannonN Friend

wooohanetworks;115074I can only speak for my party, btw, do not get the impression all the members that are shown as only regular members are those. In your user CP you can choose among “Groups” as which group you want to be identified as in the forum. You can even choose to be shown as an unlicensed members also when you are a licensed one, this is one more option.

And why I have so many downloads? First of all, I joined in September 2008, so at this point of time with all the template there were, I did not know what to choose, so I downloaded a mass, nearly all of them already at this point of time. Next thing is, I store them on my disk, sometimes I need one template again, as to some extension I want. So I download again the newest version. Now over the time all the versions were also updated, so I downloaded again most of those I like, over and over again, partly deleting all the old ones from my disk again. I rather keep those on my HD, as sometimes the access to the forums is slow and same to the download section.

TO THE VERSIONING: As a developer member you should take care of the numbers shown in the template download section, so you see that all those change with time going by, bugs are fixed, Joomla Versions are updated, extensions too. So, you even name it, the site is down often, and for not sitting there coming up with such thoughts, you could have a dedicated folder on your Computer, where you have a constant pool of the newest versions of all the templates you get here. Like an own SVN. This is how pros work…;)

So, over the time the count grows, but should I care or feel like “I do not know….”? Is there something bad or something with having a high download count.

Sometimes members come up with such comments and others are about to feel “strange”, like someone comes up with a suspicion about something, also when you say no accusations made. But hey, on what point shall it go otherwise?;)

What is when any template club closes suddenly, as to some not public lawsuit against it or anything else like that, I always keep the ones I paid for, or later I may not have access no more, as the site is not more there.

One other thing is “stupidity”…who cares.

And, is it your business how people act, is it even your business when some people do things with templates you do not like, is your business to accuse or get suspicious? It is not your business, even or especially when it is about such Warezthings you all come up with also when not mentioning it, it is only the business of Joomlart.com!

I come from Germany and the pastime of my country shows that such behaviour lead to what you all know about the past of my country. The Gestapo and their followers came up with the same stuff, “What are they doing…spy them out, get suspicious, and report people who you only get a bit suspicious about they could in some way support the enemy….”This way a lot of innocent people were…. TODAY, this still happens all over the world, as you can see when watching CNN or any other news or reading the newspapers, so learn from it! THIS IS NEARLY MOBBING, AND IT HAPPENS ALSO IN ANY BUSINESS ANYWHERE ANYDAY! People accuse people for nothing, just because they have the time for if…In Business there is a comparable faction present that always take care of other people’s business, and not in positive ways like “Hey, wow, so many credits, how did you get those”….or “Wow, so many downloads, you must have a lot of work…”. Would you call those people naive, no they are straight up forward and to do not look out back, left and right what the others not even do but wonna see something that does not exist in those but in those they mostly do not even accuse.;)

And here it could be that innocent members get penalized in case such comments like yours are taken serious and this is nowadays also something really bad for business and the individuals that suffer from such accusations in case such would lead to false decisions by staff!!

Thanks and NEVER AGAIN!

AND DO NOT COME NOW, WITH WHY I BRING SUCH EXAMPLES, IT WAS JUST SOME TALK, YOU GUYS ONLY CAUSED IT! UNDERSTANING, THAN THANKS! I wish the thread will be closed or deleted, makes no sense at all…

You crossed lines….and p.s. do not use the demo content! You know why…

you mention the gestopo etc and their methods blah blah yet you are trying to tell ppl here what they can or cannot do, to suit you’re own personal viewpoint/
    like tom said get over yourself

the sooner ja gets some balls and censures you the better

scotty Friend

ShannonN;115167the sooner ja gets some balls and censures you the better

Been banned once before and walks a thin line most of the time.

Anyway…

I actually only use one JA Club template but I’m not a web developer. The rest of my downloads are usually to test out things locally for support questions that I can’t test on the demos. Plus source file downloads etc are also counted.

I have always thought that standard members with 100+ downloads are suspicious looking considering they can actually only use 3 unless they purchase the extra copyrights.

There is no good reason to download every template available because… A. Joomla could release a new update tomorrow meaning they are all out of date. B. Nobody, not even the busiest developer, is going to use them all EVER! C. It’s a waste of memory on your PC when you can just download them as and when you need them.

I’m sure there have been several members who have downloaded as many templates as they can (but a very small % overall) with the intention of using them illegally after their membership has expired.

But there is really no need to join at all if you intend to use the files illegally. I have links to several sites that contain all the various clubs templates within a few hours of them being released. I found one the other day that has just about every premium template and extension ever released AND any updates.

Joomlart do try to combat this but there is very little they can do. There is a user ‘fingerprint’ on each download so that JA can see by looking at a site which user originally downloaded the files but this is often removed by the pirate sites and even if they can identify the user there is very little they can do to penalise them.

Whoever invents a good digital copyright protector that will work on music, video, and files will be a very wealthy person indeed. Sony have an excellent anti-piracy system with the PS3 which still hasn’t been cracked and it’s still the only modern console that has no piracy problems.

Will there ever be a way to protect downloadable files from redistribution? I have no idea but until then JA and others will just have to rely on the fact that there are enough honest people out there to actually put their hand in their pocket and pay for the service/goods they receive.

hanifahmed Friend

When you combine helpful members of JoomlArt (which can be seen through a post count) alongside with the number of high downloads, one could conclude that they are infact downloading for testing (most of the time) on a local server.

But with a low post count and a high download count (over a short period of time) raises an eyebrow.

It’s not necessarily our grounds to look into it, but I see no issues in it being raised to look at in the first place.

It is part of JoomlArt’s T&Cs and FAQ section to investigate anybody who has a high download count or logs into JoomlArt from 5 or more different IPs.

jsliao Friend

look at my download counts vs my posts. doesn’t mean anything to me. lol

Phill Moderator

I only use one template at the moment but experiment with others (and will sonn add a second). The rest I have downloaded only to try and assist others with their problems. I like to assist as I learn a lot by doing so.

The problem is, the pirates have loads of cash earned from their ways. This means if they want a file they just join the club and leech whatever they want. I see no real way of stopping that. Those who have any sense of right an wrong will stick to the rules and pay where it is due. Unfortunately, many see no crime in downloading.

As for banning people, I do hope that Joomla Art issue warnings. If people choose not heed those warnings they deserve to be banned.

yamemaru Friend

i just get what I need too.

benarmeriii Friend

I just found this thread, and find it quite amusing really.
    I see I have a LOT of downloads ( and not a lot of posts….but that’s because I’m more of a lurker than a poster :p ), and it’s kinda embarrassing, because what it’s showing ME is how unorganised I really am! LOL
    I download ALL templates, and extensions ( in all Template Clubs I’m a member of)……the problem is, I have 2 PC’s, and 4 external hard drives….and I’ve lost track of how many times I can’t find the template I’m looking for…and I’m not patient…so, I do the obvious easy thing….I re-download it.
    Mind you, I am slowly getting organised, but in the early days, it was just easier/faster to re-download;-)

mfcphil Friend

Whenever I did a logo edit for someone I would download their template….

I was always told its bad manners to count….or was that a food thing!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

This topic contains 19 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Arvind Chauhan 15 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum