Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

I’ve read the “solved” threads and other threads but none address this issue.

In the Demo and as shown in the Showcase Mod Positions – User 1, User 2, User 5 are at the bottom. My Quickstart download layout show them above the slideshow. I prefer them at the bottom. But, I could use more positions and would like to have maybe User 9, User 10 and User 11 placed at the bottom, as well. Very similar to the positions found at this site. URL This template is quite similar. Would be great to have positions at bottom.

What can be done?

Thanks,
    Avis

My site is offline as it’s under construction but will be happy to provide login info. 🙂

TomC Moderator

So are you asking/wanting to add more positions – or simply move things around ???

GeoVi Friend

<em>@tcraw1010 245016 wrote:</em><blockquote>So are you asking/wanting to add more positions – or simply move things around ???</blockquote>

Thank you and I apologize for not being clear. I was trying to see if I could add module positions myself. I went to:
    /template/layouts/default.php thinking I could and it looks impossible to me.

So, yes. I’d like to add positions at the bottom and a top menu at the bottom that’s usually in JA’s templates.

Thanks again,
    Avis

TomC Moderator

Okay …. So let’s approach this methodically. As I understand what you’re wanting . . . .

1. To move positions User 1, 2 & 5 above the slideshow
    2. Create NEW positions (user 9, 10 & 11) at the bottom. (Do you mean where 1, 2 and 3 are now?)

I was going to install the template onto my server to try to look at this for you, but that would take a while. Perhaps you can send me a PM with the login info to your administration backend and I’ll take a look? (I actually think it may be a fairly simple matter – but not having worked with this particular template yet, I’d like to see for myself). Up to you – let me know.

TOM

GeoVi Friend

<em>@tcraw1010 245020 wrote:</em><blockquote>Okay …. So let’s approach this methodically. As I understand what you’re wanting . . . .

1. To move positions User 1, 2 & 5 above the slideshow
    2. Create NEW positions (user 9, 10 & 11) at the bottom. (Do you mean where 1, 2 and 3 are now?)

I was going to install the template onto my server to try to look at this for you, but that would take a while. Perhaps you can send me a PM with the login info to your administration backend and I’ll take a look? (I actually think it may be a fairly simple matter – but not having worked with this particular template yet, I’d like to see for myself). Up to you – let me know.

TOM</blockquote>

Tom, you should have a message. I have no problems giving that info to you.

When you log on, you’ll see the mod positions are not as they are shown in the demo or as stated in the template Showcase.

I’d like to add positions at the bottom, below the JA News position or where the content is on the homepage.

Thank you very much.

Avis

TomC Moderator

Okay …. So in looking at the layout positions of your template as you have it now, you currently already have positions “user6 and user7” positioned at the bottom which (as far as I can tell) are not being utilized. You have your “user8” position being used for one particular section of your site – i.e. “Explore – Today’s Blogs”

Now, unless you are already planning on utilizing your user6 and user7 positions for other things and want even MORE positions, then you can probably just utilize the user6 and user7 positions (at the bottom) which are already available to you … and even the “user8” position for different modules on different pages.

Also, in the original Mesolite II templatedetails.xml file, there appears to already be user9, user10 and user11 positions – which are within the “botsl” position and, as far as I can tell, you are not yet utilizing. So, before trying to modify the existing code, perhaps you might want to try assigning whatever modules you want to THOSE positions and (through trial-and-error experimentation) see how it works/looks.

After this, if you are still wanting to add MORE positions down in that area (i.e. the bottom), then what you can do is add the positions within – for example – your “mainbotsl.php” file …. the path to which is templates/ja_mesolite_ii/layouts/blocks/mainbotsl.php

Here is what the original code looks like . . .

<?php
    $spotlight = array ('user6','user7','user8');
    $mainbotsl = $this->calSpotlight ($spotlight,100,50,'right');
    if( $mainbotsl ) :
    ?>
    <!-- mainbotsl -->
    <div id="ja-mainbotsl" class="clearfix">

<?php if( $this->countModules('user6') ): ?>
    <div class="ja-box column ja-box<?php echo $mainbotsl['user6']['class']; ?>" style="width: <?php echo $mainbotsl['user6']['width']; ?>;">
    <jdoc:include type="modules" name="user6" style="JAxhtml" />
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>

<?php if( $this->countModules('user7') ): ?>
    <div class="ja-box column ja-box<?php echo $mainbotsl['user7']['class']; ?>" style="width: <?php echo $mainbotsl['user7']['width']; ?>;">
    <jdoc:include type="modules" name="user7" style="JAxhtml" />
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>

<?php if( $this->countModules('user8') ): ?>
    <div class="ja-box column ja-box<?php echo $mainbotsl['user8']['class']; ?>" style="width: <?php echo $mainbotsl['user8']['width']; ?>;">
    <jdoc:include type="modules" name="user8" style="JAxhtml" />
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>

</div>
    <!-- //mainbotsl -->
    <?php endif; ?>

If you want to add additional positions down there (at the bottom) – for example say, say user21, user22, user23 positions (you can name them anything you want) – then here is a suggested way to modify the code . . . in this example, the mainbotsl.php position code . . . .

<?php
    $spotlight = array ('user6','user7','user8');
    if( $mainbotsl ) :
    ?>
    <!-- mainbotsl -->

<div class="ja-box column ja-box<?php echo $mainbotsl['user6']['class']; ?>" style="width: <?php echo $mainbotsl['user6']['width']; ?>;">
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>

<div class="ja-box column ja-box<?php echo $mainbotsl['user7']['class']; ?>" style="width: <?php echo $mainbotsl['user7']['width']; ?>;">
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>

<div class="ja-box column ja-box<?php echo $mainbotsl['user8']['class']; ?>" style="width: <?php echo $mainbotsl['user8']['width']; ?>;">
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>

</div>

<?php
    $spotlight = array ('user21','user22','user23');
    if( $mainbotsl ) :
    ?>

<?php if( $this->countModules('user21') ): ?>
    <div class="ja-box column ja-box<?php echo $mainbotsl['user21']['class']; ?>" style="width: <?php echo $mainbotsl['user21']['width']; ?>;">
    <jdoc:include type="modules" name="user21" style="JAxhtml" />
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>

<?php if( $this->countModules('user22') ): ?>
    <div class="ja-box column ja-box<?php echo $mainbotsl['user22']['class']; ?>" style="width: <?php echo $mainbotsl['user22']['width']; ?>;">
    <jdoc:include type="modules" name="user22" style="JAxhtml" />
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>

<?php if( $this->countModules('user23') ): ?>
    <div class="ja-box column ja-box<?php echo $mainbotsl['user23']['class']; ?>" style="width: <?php echo $mainbotsl['user23']['width']; ?>;">
    <jdoc:include type="modules" name="user23" style="JAxhtml" />
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>

</div>

<!-- //mainbotsl -->
    <?php endif; ?>

As you will note within the code above, the css styling for new positions will be controlled by the same css for the positions that were already there – i.e. ja-mainbotsl (which, in the original template.css file, is located at line 1084).

If, however, you want some kind of specialized styling for these new positions, then you will need to create some custom rule(s) for these new positions and make sure you modify the code (above) to assign the new css to these new positions. (If this is the case and you aren’t sure how to do this, let me know and I will try to explain it further for you).

You will, of course, also need to add these new positions to your templatedetails.xml file – as follows . . . .

<positions>
    <position>hornav</position>
    <position>breadcrumbs</position>
    <position>search</position>
    <position>banner</position>
    <position>left</position>
    <position>right</position>
    <position>top</position>
    <position>user1</position>
    <position>user2</position>
    <position>user3</position>
    <position>user4</position>
    <position>user5</position>
    <position>user6</position>
    <position>user7</position>
    <position>user8</position>
    <position>user9</position>
    <position>user10</position>
    <position>user11</position>
    <position>user21</position>
    <position>user22</position>
    <position>user23</position>

<position>footer</position>
    <position>syndicate</position>
    <position>debug</position>
    </positions>

If after trying this example,. the new positions are not positioned where you want and/or envisioned them to be, then you can try adding these positions to another block – say, the “botsl.php” file.

I hope the information I provided for you above proves helpful (and works). I am not a professional or expert-level web programmer/developer …. I simply have gone through a lot of trial-and-error throughout the years in looking at/modifying the various code to see if I can get things to work as I want them to. There is a lot of logical thinking involved – but it starts to make sense after a while if you think about it.

ALWAYS make a back-up of your current files – just in case something goes wrong – so you can replace them back to where you started.

If you try this and still have problems, let me/us know and we can try to tackle it further.

GOOD LUCK !!!

TOM

GeoVi Friend

Tom,

Wow! Thank you SO very much. Believe it or not, I think I understood what you’ve said…it makes sense. I am not a coder/developer either but could follow your thorough, precise and clear instructions.

If I do not see the module positions on the Showcase info for the template, I just thought they weren’t there but are available if shown in the admin modules on the back-end. I will do the trial and error testing as you’ve suggested.

I’m grateful for your help. I will post here again if I have any problems, as suggested. I value you and your time, Tom. You will be a great moderator for this forum. 🙂

My best – for yours,
    Avis

GeoVi Friend

Okay, Tom. I assigned content/stuff to User 9, User 10, and User 11 to show w/title on homepage. Nothing showed. I noted these positions were not listed in the templatedetails.xml file and added them.

Then I tried to add U9, U10, U11 in addition to User 21, User 22 and User 23 to mainbotsl.php file. (Yes backing both files up first, good thing because doing this caused an error on the last bit of code. I uploaded the backup again (mainbotsl.php).

<!– //mainbotsl –>
    <?php endif; ?>

That bit is where the message showed the <?php endif; ?> that line. I’ve done it twice and it’s always the last line of code that causes the error.

What now, please?

Thank you,
    Avis

What should I do, please?

TomC Moderator

Can you cut and paste your code from your mainbotsl.php where you added the code for the new positions?
    I’ll take a look at it for you in the morning …. (it’s late here and I need to get some sleep) 😉

Also, did you try to “add” positions for user9, user10 and user11? – because, when I looked at the templatedetails.xml within the original Mesolite II template files, those positions were already created and were indicated within the botsl.php file (you might want to take a look and check).

Did you assign any content within the modules you created and assigned to the user9, user10 and/or user11 positions? Just having a title won’t do it (I believe). You need to either assign an actual module or create a custom mod and input some content. Perhaps try to assign one of the existing modules (as an experiment) to the user9, 10 or 11 positions and see if it displays.

GeoVi Friend

It’s 2:29AM here, and I should get to bed. I will add the code again later. Get some rest. Thank you, Tom.
    I’ll send the info requested. User 9, user 10, and user11 were not in the botsl.php file when I checked but in the templatedetails.xml. I tried adding them to botsl.php file first. Then the new positions to both files. Each time error at that line.

I’ll start fresh. Your help has meant so much to me. Thanks!

Rest well,
    Avis

TomC Moderator

I checked the original (fresh install) Mesolite II botsl.php file and this is what I find . . .

<?php
    $spotlight = array ('user6','user7','user8','user9','user10');
    $botsl = $this->calSpotlight ($spotlight,100);
    if( $botsl ) :
    ?>
    <!-- BOTTOM SPOTLIGHT -->
    <div id="ja-botsl" class="wrap">
    <div class="main clearfix">

<div class="ja-box column ja-box<?php echo $botsl['user6']['class']; ?>" style="width: <?php echo $botsl['user6']['width']; ?>;">
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>

<div class="ja-box column ja-box<?php echo $botsl['user7']['class']; ?>" style="width: <?php echo $botsl['user7']['width']; ?>;">
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>

<div class="ja-box column ja-box<?php echo $botsl['user8']['class']; ?>" style="width: <?php echo $botsl['user8']['width']; ?>;">
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>

<?php if( $this->countModules('user9') ): ?>
    <div class="ja-box column ja-box<?php echo $botsl['user9']['class']; ?>" style="width: <?php echo $botsl['user9']['width']; ?>;">
    <jdoc:include type="modules" name="user9" style="JAxhtml" />
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>

<?php if( $this->countModules('user10') ): ?>
    <div class="ja-box column ja-box<?php echo $botsl['user10']['class']; ?>" style="width: <?php echo $botsl['user10']['width']; ?>;">
    <jdoc:include type="modules" name="user10" style="JAxhtml" />
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>

</div>
    </div>
    <!-- //BOTTOM SPOTLIGHT -->
    <?php endif; ?>

So, while there is no “user11” position, there appears to be the makings for “user9” and “user10” positions.
    (You can, of course, add more to this – or any other – position via the method I described earlier).

Interestingly, when I checked the templatedetails.xml file, this is what I find . . .

<positions>
    <position>top</position>
    </positions>

So, there is a “position” set up within the xml file for a “user11,” but I could not find the code for a “user11” in any of the layout files. So, you can insert it in any of the layout files, and it’s already in the xml file for you. 😉

GeoVi Friend

Good morning Tom,

Didn’t get enough sleep. Hope you did. 🙂
    Thank you. *full stop*

About this:
    “Did you assign any content within the modules you created and assigned to the user9, user10 and/or user11 positions? Just having a title won’t do it (I believe). You need to either assign an actual module or create a custom mod and input some content. Perhaps try to assign one of the existing modules (as an experiment) to the user9, 10 or 11 positions and see if it displays.”

Yes, I used one of the existing modules with content etc. and tried user9, 10, & 11 and the content did not display on the homepage. I checked to make sure they were ‘enabled’ as well.

What you reported in this post is what I found. The positions were defined but not in the layout (mainbotsl.php) and when I added them, the error. All positions on homepage disappeared, only menu and left/right mod positions remained.

I simply copied the code you posted and changed every user position to the one being added. (U9, U10, U11). And for the “new” ones, I again, copied your code U21, U22, U23), didn’t make any changes whatsoever as there were the new positions being added, but again same error.

I’ll do this and post it so you can check the code. Hope your morning’s going great! *sleepy*:D

Avis

GeoVi Friend

Code:
    <positions>
    <position>top</position>
    <position>user21</position>
    <position>user22</position>
    <position>user23</position>
    </positions>

*****This is how the templateDetails.xlm file looks. Will post again shortly.

Have I said thanks a million, yet? 🙂 Thanks a million!!

GeoVi Friend

*happy dancing*

It worked!!! woot! woot! TOM!!
    I won’t have to post the code as it’s working – the additional module positions showed where assigned on the homepage in U9, 10, 11. Additionally, the newly created positions (U21-23) work!! woo hoo!

No error message (obviously)!! Thank you SO very much for hanging in there with me. I learned a great deal…MORE…than I did when I started. By doing it myself under your instructions, made the difference. Your taking the time to view the content of each file was sheer kindness in helping to resolve my issue.

I’ve been blessed to have wonderful people to help me. Some forums, you’re so hesitant to ask for help because they’re not as kind.

Marching on to the next thing: VIRTUEMART! :laugh: grrrrrr

Have the best day ever! Thank you.

My best,
    Avis

TomC Moderator

Avis – it’s absolutely my pleasure !! 🙂

As I mentioned …. I am by no means anywhere close to being even an “intermediate” web designer/programer. (Well, maybe low-level intermediate at this point – but it’s taken a long time and a lot of reading/research and trial-and-error to get to even THIS point). I have always been, and will always be, a “right-brained” person. Creativity and project-management are MY strengths. It’s absolutely amazing to me how some can look at and generate all of this cryptic code and it makes perfect sense to them. (It reminds me of how they depicted the hovercraft crew/operators in the movie “The Matrix” as being able to look at the streaming code and know exactly what was going on – crazy stuff). As relatively easy as web development/programming code can be for some, it remains confusing/cryptic to many others (including myself). Nevertheless, for SOME issues … when I try to take the time to try to examine and understand the logic of the code and how it is structured within a given theme/template framework, and then spend some time experimenting (i.e. trial-and-error) in trying to effectuate a particular element … the resultant education/learning and personal knowledge growth experience (whether the experiment ultimately works or not) is always invaluable.

In any case, I am so glad that I was able to help you – and even more glad that IT WORKED !!!

My biggest hope (and sense of accomplishment) will be that the methodical way I approach issues such as yours helps you – and others – in better understanding (even if only a little at a time – like myself) how to try to take the time to “logic out” some of the issues that come up in working with PHP/CSS based templates and themes. PATIENCE and PERSEVERANCE are the key ….. though I know all too well how frustrating it can be when one wants a particular issue fixed yesterday. 😉

Lastly – and let’s face it – even after spending hours giving it our best effort and exhausting as many supplemental resources as we can to try to figure something out on our own, there does come a point where we hit the wall of our own limitations and need to reach out to others for guidance and assistance. THIS is EXACTLY what the JA Community, Moderation and Support Staff are here for. As both a member and, recently, a Community Forum (Trial) Moderator . . . it gives me a great sense of personal satisfaction, confidence and accomplishment in being able to help someone – such as yourself – achieve a goal though whatever guidance and/or assistance I can provide.

I also very much appreciate your patience in working together to solve this particular issue … as opposed to those instances where some forget the value of “patience and perseverance” and, instead, choose to chastise the JA Team (or whomever) when issues aren’t resolved as quickly as he/she wants. There are generally ALWAYS mitigating circumstances to most any scenario – be it one’s current workload, global time-zone differences, the complexity of particular issues, personal issues, etc.. I think if more of those who seem all too quick to jump to “complain” mode would just take a deep breath and view this community as just that …. A COMMUNITY …. rather than some quasi hierarchy of “JA Support/Dev Team vs. Members,” things can and will be accomplished much more efficiently all around.

BEST OF LUCK with your project !!! . . . Be sure to keep us all posted as you further develop your site/business.

😀

TOM

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  GeoVi 12 years, 11 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum