Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

I’ve checked the documentation for this template but it does not explain the situation with the template.css, development mode, less and the fact that the template.css is now over 10,000 lines long !

In the past for previous templates, I have customised the “template.css” file in the template’s CSS folder. This no longer works for JA Medicare. I looked through this forum and see that the file I should adjust is located in the “Local” folder. Why ? How does this work, it is not explained anywhere in the documentation (or if there is additional documentation could someone supply a link) ? I checked here but nothing is mentioned : http://www.joomlart.com/documentation/joomla-templates/ja-medicare

What is the difference between development mode (using less) and the css mode – what exactly happens with switching this option ? Where can I find documentation on this ?

I see that it is also suggested that I should make changes in a “custom.css” – where is this documented ? Does this file get loaded in at the end and over-rule/have precedent over previous css settings ?

What is the correct, or expected, methodology for modifying the CSS ?

Thanks for any pointers on this.

It seems like there have been many changes since the previous templates I have used (and extensively modified).

D.

jooservices Friend

Hi there
    Less file is original core file. It’ll use for development.
    Css file is compiled file from Less file. It’ll use to render on browser
    You should never touch less file ( as core files ).
    You should work with custom.css only.

Development mode is Less compile on fly mode .

Note:// Please check out T3 document for detail.

Thank you,
    Viet Vu

dave_3d Friend

I have found the documentation for JA T3. I see there is some documentation about the less/css issue. For anyone else : http://www.t3-framework.org/documentation/bs3-configuration#t3-t3bs3

But what is the best method to adjust the css : should I adjust the .less files and re-compile as .css.

Or, as suggested in posts in this forum section, create a custom.css ?

Whish is the best method ?

I would like to modify the css, but still be able to update the template without over-writing all my changes.

Thanks,

D.

jooservices Friend

Hi there
    You can work with less and compile it . But all your works will lost when you do template upgrade.
    That’s why you need to work with custom.css

Thank you,
    Viet Vu

dave_3d Friend

<em>@jooservices 485746 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi there
    You can work with less and compile it . But all your works will lost when you do template upgrade.
    That’s why you need to work with custom.css

Thank you,
    Viet Vu</blockquote>

Thanks Viet,

I can just create a custom.css file in the css folder ? This will automatically over-write any styles defined in less (and compiled in css) ?

Thanks,

D.

jooservices Friend

Hi there
    custom.css will load if it’s exists.
    But for overridden please check with css priority.

Thank you,
    Viet Vu

dave_3d Friend

<em>@jooservices 485750 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    But for overridden please check with css priority.
    </blockquote>

Thanks, but where would I find that out ? When is the custom.css loaded ? I haven’t found any documentation about this custom.css file.

D.

jooservices Friend

Hi there
    Please check our T3 document

http://www.t3-framework.org/documentation/customization.html

Thank you,
    Viet Vu

imported_janabak Friend

<em>@jooservices 485755 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi there

Thank you,
    Viet Vu</blockquote>

Hi, Am I the only one getting confused working with these new templates and T3? I have been using Joomla since v1.5 and have had very few problems when developing sites. I have no problems to set up a new site and do the modifications in the backend. But when I need to customize the site where I earlier edited the css file, I now have to search faqs and docs for a long time. I have the same feeling as Dave_3D, which started this thread, that the docs are confusing. Some say that you should newer edit the LESS files as they are core files, but the doc Viet Vu pionts to, tells you to open a less file and edit.

I am having problems to know where to start, which files to edit and NOT edit, where they are located etc. When editing in earlier version you could change css properties directly, but now you have to write them from scratch in a custom.css? How will I know what will and will not be overridden in this file?

I have been trying today to find how to change the behaviour of the ACM Slideshow module, I wanted it to be fully responsive and having the slide description to use smaller fonts for a narrow screen. I have used the most of the day using firebug, reading T3 docs and searching forums. I have turned off Development Mode and Optimize CSS, to be able to find the correct files to edit. Using Firebug can be complicated because of all files and parameters so I don’t find what I am looking for.

In modules there are also some extra settings, module class, header class etc, can anyone tell me a simple method to find these classes and parameters and their function?

I started to use Joomla because it was simple to use even it was an advanced CMS. I am developing smaller sites for customers where the most work have been making graphics, setting colors, editing pictures and tweek the css to complete the site. With the new T3 and templates I am using much more time and I am having big trouble to do what I want to do.

I wish there was a “recipe” or a “map” to show some “how to”. The forum is not easy to find much of value. Either the questions are from users that haven’t read the docs or the answers are related to a specific site where the support person logged into the site. Finally you have some support persons that newer seem to understand the users question.

Jan:((

imported_janabak Friend

<em>@jooservices 485755 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi there

Thank you,
    Viet Vu</blockquote>

Hi, Am I the only one getting confused working with these new templates and T3? I have been using Joomla since v1.5 and have had very few problems when developing sites. I have no problems to set up a new site and do the modifications in the backend. But when I need to customize the site where I earlier edited the css file, I now have to search faqs and docs for a long time. I have the same feeling as Dave_3D, which started this thread, that the docs are confusing. Some say that you should newer edit the LESS files as they are core files, but the doc Viet Vu pionts to, tells you to open a less file and edit.

I am having problems to know where to start, which files to edit and NOT edit, where they are located etc. When editing in earlier version you could change css properties directly, but now you have to write them from scratch in a custom.css? How will I know what will and will not be overridden in this file?

I have been trying today to find how to change the behaviour of the ACM Slideshow module, I wanted it to be fully responsive and having the slide description to use smaller fonts for a narrow screen. I have used the most of the day using firebug, reading T3 docs and searching forums. I have turned off Development Mode and Optimize CSS, to be able to find the correct files to edit. Using Firebug can be complicated because of all files and parameters so I don’t find what I am looking for.

In modules there are also some extra settings, module class, header class etc, can anyone tell me a simple method to find these classes and parameters and their function?

I started to use Joomla because it was simple to use even it was an advanced CMS. I am developing smaller sites for customers where the most work have been making graphics, setting colors, editing pictures and tweek the css to complete the site. With the new T3 and templates I am using much more time and I am having big trouble to do what I want to do.

I wish there was a “recipe” or a “map” to show some “how to”. The forum is not easy to find much of value. Either the questions are from users that haven’t read the docs or the answers are related to a specific site where the support person logged into the site. Finally you have some support persons that newer seem to understand the users question.

Jan:((

jooservices Friend

Hi there @janabak
    # In basically and short word : Do not touch core files . Not only T3 but also Joomla!
    custom.css is your file to work with overridden . !
    — Use debugger to inspect element you want to work on
    — Get css selector
    — Write down css selector and attributes to custom.css .
    The only one thing here you need to know ( or improve ) is css priority !

# In this time. CSS is older. You can work with less / sass in your local and compile to css before upload to server.
    With less / sass it’ll help you solve everything even with css priority but still keep your code clean and easy to understand.

And finally , for next time please create new topic with your issue detail. Each topic should be owned by only one user.

Thank you,
    Viet Vu

jooservices Friend

Hi there @janabak
    # In basically and short word : Do not touch core files . Not only T3 but also Joomla!
    custom.css is your file to work with overridden . !
    — Use debugger to inspect element you want to work on
    — Get css selector
    — Write down css selector and attributes to custom.css .
    The only one thing here you need to know ( or improve ) is css priority !

# In this time. CSS is older. You can work with less / sass in your local and compile to css before upload to server.
    With less / sass it’ll help you solve everything even with css priority but still keep your code clean and easy to understand.

And finally , for next time please create new topic with your issue detail. Each topic should be owned by only one user.

Thank you,
    Viet Vu

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jooservices 8 years, 8 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum