Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

<em>@phill luckhurst 246039 wrote:</em><blockquote>While you can do it there it really does depend on the configuration of Apache as to whether it works or not. The users host will be the best people to advise.</blockquote>
    You may be right …. I use siteground.com as my webhost – and I am not altogether certain if they use Apache or not.

I know that I modified my .htaccess file for my Magento site on there (for which my Joomla site(s) are currently subdomains).
    So if siteground uses Apache for their servers, then it looks like modifying .htaccess works.

EDIT / UPDATE:
    I asked my host company (well, one of the “sales guys” on LiveChat) “all of our servers have a highly customized version on Apache on them.”

Not sure what “highly customized” means and/or if that would negate the effect with the .htaccess file … but there you go.

Phill Moderator

I know siteground well. Back in the early days of Coppermine we tried to work really hard with them on keeping the security element of their downloads up to date but they for some reason chose not to bother. We had lots of users using their CPG install getting hacked and guess who the users turned to every time for support? It certainly was not siteground. However, these days they certainly seem to have improved (although I still see out of date stuff on their sites). Yes, they run Apache with lots of mods and will allow certain things in .htaccess. Some hosts will not even allow a .htaccess file so as I said, it may or may not work. In Linux you can restrict or allow almost anything and hosts seem to have differing ideas on security implementations. I recently attended a Red Hat course specifically on security (full of geeks who point blank refused to go to the pub incase it interrupted their studies) and it was quite a shock how even some very experienced administrators totally over did some areas whilst leaving gaping holes in others. Blocking .htaccess files is one example of going over the top.

cdboutique Friend

Hi there
    If I am reading your post correctly, I don’t think it is a conflict between conflict ja-methys and virtuemart.
    I think it is a AJAX issue/bug with the Virtuemart popup. You’ll probably need to turn it off in the Virtuemart Config.
    Im not sure if there is a fix.
    Search the forums at Virtuemart .
    I had that issue with one of my sites and just had to turn the pop off in the admin.

Hope that helps
    Fiona:)

TomC Moderator

UPDATE with regard to the custom index.html opening/splash page issue . . . .

Gotta be honest, it’s absolutely amazing to me how difficult it is to find a non-convoluted solution to this issue. There have been a couple of suggestions made that seem like they MIGHT work, but it just seems to me that there has to be a relatively simple “one or two line” modification in a particular file to get this to work. (Though, I could be completely wrong).

In any case, I thought I would share my current research attempts I’ve been trying via the Joomla.org Community Forum. Perhaps you might think that the suggested solutions will work for you. (If so, please let us know – as I think this will be a very helpful “how to” for future reference).

Here’s the link to my thread discussion –> http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=428&t=626998&p=2524551#p2524551

Let me know what you think.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

This topic contains 19 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 12 years, 11 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum