Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

I currently use WordPress as well. If you use a theme like Thesis (a paid option) you are going to have a very professional looking commerical site.

However, thank you Denator for the your link, that should make it easier to move to Joomla which has more features.

invest10 Friend

Wordpress shines because of its simplicity. Joomla shines for many things like customization, expansion power and adaptive environment. Joomla is simply the best, there’s no doubt about it, but wordpress makes things so easy that many are attracted to it, specially rookies in the CMS area.

gnubler Friend

For those asking about Joomla tutorials for newbies, I just have to ask…have you even looked at Joomla’s website? :rolleyes: I mean, that’s where I started when I first learned Joomla. It’s easy to install a Joomla demo site that fills up menus & pages with “dummy” information so you can see how the site is layed out in the backend.

Here’s the Absolute Beginner’s guide to Joomla, in a Wiki format:

http://docs.joomla.org/Beginners

hushy Friend

Thanks for the link. I will check it out. I to am currently a WP user. Was a blogger user but had to change.

ericae82sb Friend

<em>@vapordiva 167612 wrote:</em><blockquote>What is the learning curve like to learn Joomla going from WordPress and HTML static sites?
    I do have a handle on creating sites but is it frustrating or is it similar for a smooth transition?
    I am getting bored with WP themes.</blockquote>

This is EXACTLY what I’m going through right now! WP is like having rice and beans for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day for a year! 😀 In other words, I’m getting pretty sick and tired of it! 😉

Of course I don’t want to spend the next month ramping up on Joomla if it’s going to be “over” my head.

wombat1 Friend

I guess i wondered the same thing before starting with Joomla after having used WordPress to build everything from blogs to University sites. So perhaps some might benefit from this experience.

Firstly, yes WordPress is easy, however Joomla is also easy. It may be a little more complex to begin with but anyone that finds Joomla difficult shoild stick to mowing lawns or peeling oranges.

Secondly if you only blog then using Joomla is pretty ridiculous. To benefit from all the features WordPress has for blogging requires the use of extensions with Joomla and these are are mostly not free.

On the other hand if you want to have more control over your site and it requires more features than inverse chronological ordered articles in categories and a commenting system then go for Joomla. Ive spent countless hours with WordPress attempting to replicate things that in Joomla are a piece of cake.

Also and this has to be said, the better joomla templates are miles better than the best of the WordPress. ones if you require a certain degree of complexity, if you want minimalist themes, even for corporate sites, not just blogs, WordPress is a better choice. For a nice comparison check out the various sites that offer similar themes for both Joomla and WordPress and play spot the difference. You will find quite a few.

Lastly and returning to the learning curve, the only initial apparent complexity within Joomla is understanding its particular method for categorising ie a top level and a second level. Although this is about to change entirely with Joomla 1.6 and its much more flexible and powerful taxonomy features.

If you are accustomed to editing css and minor amounts of php with wordpress, Joomla is almost exactly the same in this respect.

Cheers

lexismith212 Friend

I too would be curious in the ease of template use in Joomla as opposed to WordPress, joomla does appear to be more functional, but it is hard with all the new extends and degree of wordpress plugins available…

jimmcmanus81 Friend

Joomla

Now Joomla with al its extensions is great for building a good solid website with all the features you want. And you can bring it to high rankings in the search eninges as well, if you start with the proper technical improvements.

WordPress

For Blogging you cannot beat WordPress, especially if you do the right setup, making the permalinks work right the .htaccess file and set the options to /%postname%/. Creating posts and giving it the special keyword tags is really easy.

jacquelinestarling Friend

One of the things that I love about Joomla is its back end as well as the ability to duplicate sites quickly and easily.

Wordpress I use for my instant creation cheapo blogs….

I think JOOMLA is way more SEO friendly.

williams3412 Friend

I’ve used the old version of Joomla pretty extensively and have been using wordpress a lot lately. This is what I’ve found, Joomla has much more functionality, a lot less spam, and is competing very closely with WordPress as far as SEO. Though to get a lot of design layouts in your posts that you may want, you sometimes have to use tables, which aren’t as good for SEO.

Find a fast and light template that doesn’t use tables.

Also, not that much harder than wordpress to get the hang of, but can be a little tedious. However, nothing that you can’t look up. As stated above.

zao dao Friend

I am tired of wordpress sites,many wordpress site have the same layout same template same content,many people use wordpress not to creat oringinal content but just for wordpress’s seo result.

www.8media.com
    www.zaodao.com

jackzhu Friend

I currently use wordpress for my blog.I feel it is quite good.

——————————
    discount golf clubs

crs27 Friend

<em>@zaodao 174035 wrote:</em><blockquote>I am tired of wordpress sites,many wordpress site have the same layout same template same content,many people use wordpress not to creat oringinal content but just for wordpress’s seo result.</blockquote>

Yeah, I see what you mean – this is the reason I just moved from WordPress to Joomla – thought it was gonna be a nightmare, but thanks to CMS2CMS extension it actually was very easy. Joomla is so much more versatile! I haven’t fully got the hang of it yet, but now I got so much more chances to make my site look diffrrent.. .

christev Friend

I want to migrate a decent size online magazine that’s on WordPress to Joomla,

Can you recommend someone that can do the actual migration for me?

TomC Moderator

<em>@christev 504667 wrote:</em><blockquote>I want to migrate a decent size online magazine that’s on WordPress to Joomla,

Can you recommend someone that can do the actual migration for me?
    </blockquote>

You can/should post your project on a freelance site – such as JOOMLANCERS

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

This topic contains 29 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 8 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum