Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Hi guys

I am an avid user of WordPress but I am thinking of changing to Joomla because it provides more functionality. I am just wondering how simple it is to be able to edit any templates I obtain from JoomlArt. WordPress has a pretty simple system of doing so through its template editor. For those who have used WP before, do you find it easier or harder to design things? Obviously WordPress is mainly used for a blog template but magazine templates are not that hard to design either.

franance Friend

Hi, I currently use wordpress for my sites and I believe wordpress is very simple to use. Whether you wish to change or not really depends on your knowledge and how good you are with computers because wordpress is a lot easier to operate however the desgns on wordpress are basic and limit you a lot so I would definitely consider changing to Joomla

hope this helps

adblinks Friend

I am also a WordPress user, and am interested in seeing what Joomla has to offer…It is true that Joomla has more design features and may perk up your blog but again sometimes when you are new to something, you need to dedicate some time and effort before you get the ball rolling. 🙂

vapordiva Friend

What is the learning curve like to learn Joomla going from WordPress and HTML static sites?
    I do have a handle on creating sites but is it frustrating or is it similar for a smooth transition?
    I am getting bored with WP themes.

thom01 Friend

I’m interested to see what kinds of response there is to these questions. I’ve played around with WP, but ran into some difficulties with the “categories” button. Somehow I goofed it up and now it doesn’t display what I want it to display. And I have no idea how to fix whatever it is that I did to it.

Just wondering if Joomla is any easier to figure out than WP. Or if there are any tutorials that exist.

gnubler Friend

I use both systems. For smaller, personal blog-type of websites I stick with WordPress because that’s what it’s designed for. For business or commercial sites I use Joomla because of all the extensions available.

As far as figuring out how to edit/customize either WordPress or Joomla, basic knowledge of HTML and especially CSS is needed. It also helps to at least understand the syntax of PHP in case you need to edit any static template files. With Joomla, 90% of the customizing I do is with the template’s main CSS file and with the CSS files of any extensions/addons. There are many free Joomla templates out there – what I often do is find a general layout/framework that I like, then customize the colors & graphics to what I want.

The backend interface of Joomla 1.5 (current version) is MUCH easier to learn & use than its predecessor, version 1.0 (which is what I first learned). Plenty of tutorials out there, all it takes is a Google search.

gnubler Friend

I just noticed everyone above me in this thread has only 1 post. Coincidental or suspicious?

thom01 Friend

<em>@gnubler 167800 wrote:</em><blockquote>I just noticed everyone above me in this thread has only 1 post. Coincidental or suspicious?</blockquote>
    Hey, give me a break. It’s my first day here. Sheesh *!*

I really am having trouble figuring out WP.

paigechen1995 Friend

That’s the exact same question I have — what’s the learning curve like? I would love to try some extensive Joomla sites, but I’m afraid of loosing too much time if the learning curve is steep 😀

hsut888 Friend

I am having the same problem. I am currently migrating from cre-loaded to joomla, as joomla offers more features and extensions. What I am looking for is some tutorials to explain the “file structure” of Joomla from the bottom up. Would really appreciate anyone with those knowledge to share some insights…:)

Thanks…

denetor Friend

Here is a great tool to use that completely integrates WordPress into Joomla and you can migrate your blogs over to this component.

https://www.corephp.com/wordpress/wordpress-integration-for-joomla-1.5.html

Hope this helps! 🙂

jraulove Friend

Guess what? I probably will only have one post too since i just joined and by the way I had nothing to do with the Kennedy assasination…:D

jraulove Friend

I agree with you. I too use WP and find its ease of functionality attractive. Currently, I’m using it for my blog and since I write and post quite a bit I have found that it is so much more intuitive than blogger. However, like you I’m thinking of adding a lot more interactivity and templates but don’t want to experiment too much with my current WP site ( I hate hassles);) so I may just lounge around this forum for a few weeks and try and learn more from the experienced folks here.

With your question though it really is up to you and your confidence level whether migrating to joomla would be suitable.

timeitright Friend

I am new too and this thread caught my eye. I suspect it could run and run. Having mastered (after a fashion) WordPress I am reluctant to change especially if the learning curve is steep but I have an open mind. I shall keep on returning to this thread.

lookingdaniel Friend

I agree that there is a value in using joomla. It has a lot of strengths compared to WP. In many cases though wordpress works as well. If you dont REALLY need to switch, I would advice against it, it is a lot of work and a lot can and probably will go wrong.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

This topic contains 29 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 8 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum