Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Hi Micrantha

Thanks for all your suggestions.

That Joomla forum post is very interesting but my weblinks module is installed and enabled, so I don’t think that’s the solution.

Yes, I did install 1.5.15, but I will try overwriting fresh com_search and search plugin files from a fresh download and let you know if it works.

I now have error reporting set to maximum and the message I get on a blank search results page is:
    Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /home/linweb01/f/frontrowfilms.co.uk/user/htdocs/libraries/phputf8/utils/unicode.php on line 208

I’ve no idea what that means. Any ideas?

Nick

<em>@micrantha 155981 wrote:</em><blockquote>On Joomla-forum you could read this post:
    http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p=1854164#p1854164

Did you install Joomla 1.5.15?
    You could try pasting the com_search files and the files in the plugin-fil “search” from a fresh Joomla-download.

Notice: output of search action gives a-normal URL; f.i. “frozen”:
    http://frontrowfilms.co.uk/index.php?searchword=frozen&ordering=&searchphrase=all&option=com_search#content

As far as I can see normal URL generated would be:
    site-URL/index.php/component/search/frozen?ordering=&searchphrase=all#content</blockquote>

gray Friend

Look at the PHP ini and on memory_limit settings. Try to increase them. Also, (if you cannot access php.ini) it’s possible to add in .htaccess something like
    php memory_limit = 64M

Or use local php.ini files.

nickwigzell Friend

Hi Micrantha

I’ve just replaced the com_search and search plugin files with fresh ones and that makes no difference either.

Nick

<em>@micrantha 155981 wrote:</em><blockquote>

Did you install Joomla 1.5.15?
    You could try pasting the com_search files and the files in the plugin-fil “search” from a fresh Joomla-download.
    </blockquote>

nickwigzell Friend

Hi Gray

I can’t edit the php.ini file on my shared server, so I uploaded a .htaccess file (with php memorly_limit =64M) to the root directory, and local php.ini files with the same command to the root and administrator directories, but it doesn’t seem to have worked.

The error message I now get is only slightly different:
    Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 24 bytes) in /home/linweb01/f/frontrowfilms.co.uk/user/htdocs/libraries/phputf8/utils/unicode.php on line 208

Nick

<em>@gray 156035 wrote:</em><blockquote>Look at the PHP ini and on memory_limit settings. Try to increase them. Also, (if you cannot access php.ini) it’s possible to add in .htaccess something like
    php memory_limit = 64M

Or use local php.ini files.</blockquote>

micrantha Friend

Sorry, no idea what next.

nickwigzell Friend

Think I’ve cracked it: see my post below.

I just want to thank you for all the time and trouble you took to try and help me out. Your suggestions were all good and were definitely on the right track (scripts running out of memory). I hope I can return the favour some time.

Best

Nick

<em>@micrantha 156151 wrote:</em><blockquote>Sorry, no idea what next.</blockquote>

nickwigzell Friend

I think I’ve solved the problem: see my post below.

I’d like to thank you too for all the time and trouble you’ve taken to help me. I really appreciate it and hope I can return the favour some time.

Best

Nick

<em>@gray 156035 wrote:</em><blockquote>Look at the PHP ini and on memory_limit settings. Try to increase them. Also, (if you cannot access php.ini) it’s possible to add in .htaccess something like
    php memory_limit = 64M

Or use local php.ini files.</blockquote>

nickwigzell Friend

I think I’ve found the cause of the problem: extremely long articles.

The clues were there in the error reporting (fatal error – running out of memory) and I should have trusted my instincts when I thought it was a bad idea that my client wanted to cram hundreds of short film reviews into single articles. The result was articles containing more than 11,000 words: no wonder the search script threw its toys out of the pram.

It also explains the inconsistent results. When asked to find terms relating to short articles, the search engine worked fine. When asked to find a term hidden among those long articles (more like books really) it ran out of puff and went on strike.

I’ve deleted the offending pieces of bloated content and so far all is well. Thanks to everyone who was kind enough to help. I’ve certainly learned my lesson.

Nick

micrantha Friend

Congratulations Nick, good lesson indeed – in how to track down an error.

Best regards,
    Micrantha

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

This topic contains 24 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  micrantha 14 years, 5 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum