Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

No results are displaying when I click the Search button. All I get is a blank page.

This may be the result of me customising the template. I have moved the search module around, trying out different positions, so perhaps that has something to do with it, but it is now back in its default position (search).

I have tried disabling and re-enabling the module, and deleting and recreating it. I have also followed Scotty’s tip for disabling JA NEWS on the search results page ( http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/disable-ja-news-on-search-results-page/ ), which allows you to assign the results to a specific item ID, but none of these have worked.

Can anyone tell me what has gone wrong please?

My development site url is: http://frontrowfilms.co.uk/

Best

Nick

gray Friend

If to look at the HTML code of main page (were search is), it has a line
    <input type=”hidden” name=”Itemid” value=”553″ />

and there is no
    <input type=”hidden” name=”task” value=”search” />
    which should be present (for example, look at Teline Demo)

It seems that search module is hacked, and it doesn’t have a piece of necessary code it to work properly.

nickwigzell Friend

Hi Gray

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that’s a result of me trying to assign an item ID to the results page, as per Scotty’s tip (see above). But it still doesn’t work if you remove it and the problem pre-dates it anyway.

Thanks for your help though, and any other suggestions would be welcome.

Best

Nick

<em>@gray 155555 wrote:</em><blockquote>If to look at the HTML code of main page (were search is), it has a line
    <input type=”hidden” name=”Itemid” value=”553″ />

and there is no
    which should be present (for example, look at Teline Demo)

It seems that search module is hacked, and it doesn’t have a piece of necessary code it to work properly.</blockquote>

gray Friend

But still, as far as I understand
    is important to have search module working.

nickwigzell Friend

Hi Gray

That section of code is there – at least it is when I look at the source in my browser (Firefox 3.5.5 Mac) and when I use Firebug. So I don’t think that’s the cause of the problem.

I’ve asked the Teeline staff to take a look, so it will be interesting to see what they say.

Best

Nick

<em>@gray 155561 wrote:</em><blockquote>But still, as far as I understand
    is important to have search module working.</blockquote>

Anonymous Moderator

Hi nickwigzell

I have checked your website but this feature is working fine.

nickwigzell Friend

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

That’s very strange because it’s not working when I view my live site in Firefox (Mac 3.5.5) and Safari (4.0.4). When I enter a search term into the box and click search, all I get is a blank page.

Best

Nick

PS. It doesn’t work in Windows IE 8 either.

<em>@JA Developer 155901 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi nickwigzell

I have checked your website but this feature is working fine.</blockquote>

nickwigzell Friend

Hi

It doesn’t work in Opera (Mac 10.10) either.

You say it’s working fine. What browser do you use?

Best

Nick

<em>@JA Developer 155901 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi nickwigzell

I have checked your website but this feature is working fine.</blockquote>

micrantha Friend

Hello nickwigzell,
    I browse with Firefox 3.5.5
    Search module gives search results here.

(PS: sorry, result not consistent; sometimes blank page, sometimes search-result)

1. screen-1
    gray Friend

I opened your site in:
    Opera 10.10 – 1 time search worked
    FF – 3.5.5 – again, 1 time it worked
    IE 8.0.6 – no success

BUT, I found one interesting issue. The problem is not in browsers – but SEARCHED WORD(S). Just try to search for “serarc” or “asdfffffff” – you’d get search page opened, of cause without any results.

But it you look for a “real” words, like “film” (which has to have matches) you are getting blank page.

My proposals:
    – look for Apache error logs
    – disable by one search plugins

nickwigzell Friend

Hi Gray

Yes, thank you, that’s very interesting.

Like you, I’ve managed to get search results for some words, such as Frozen River (see Micrantha’s post above) and Wolfman, but not for other film titles, such as Shutter Island.

I agree with you that this inconsistency seems to have something to do with the search terms but I have no idea what’s causing it.

I’ve looked at my apache error log (Mac OSX 10.5.8) but the last entry was in May. I’ve also done as you suggested and tried disabling the search plugins one by one, and even all of them except content, but I still got blank pages.

But thank you for your help; at least I feel we’re making progress.

Best

Nick

<em>@gray 155960 wrote:</em><blockquote>I opened your site in:
    Opera 10.10 – 1 time search worked
    FF – 3.5.5 – again, 1 time it worked
    IE 8.0.6 – no success

BUT, I found one interesting issue. The problem is not in browsers – but SEARCHED WORD(S). Just try to search for “serarc” or “asdfffffff” – you’d get search page opened, of cause without any results.

But it you look for a “real” words, like “film” (which has to have matches) you are getting blank page.

My proposals:
    – look for Apache error logs
    – disable by one search plugins</blockquote>

nickwigzell Friend

Hi Micrantha

That’s very helpful – thank you.

I think the problem may lie with the search terms (see above) but I’m not sure why.

Best

Nick

<em>@micrantha 155950 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hello nickwigzell,
    I browse with Firefox 3.5.5
    Search module gives search results here.

(PS: sorry, result not consistent; sometimes blank page, sometimes search-result)</blockquote>

gray Friend

Let’s continue 🙂

1. disable loging of search terms (Joomla admin)
    2. set error reporting level to maximum (also Joomla admin, Global Options)

micrantha Friend

On Joomla-forum you could read this post:
    http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p=1854164#p1854164

Did you install Joomla 1.5.15?
    You could try pasting the com_search files and the files in the plugin-fil “search” from a fresh Joomla-download.

Notice: output of search action gives a-normal URL; f.i. “frozen”:
    http://frontrowfilms.co.uk/index.php?searchword=frozen&ordering=&searchphrase=all&option=com_search#content

As far as I can see normal URL generated would be:
    site-URL/index.php/component/search/frozen?ordering=&searchphrase=all#content

nickwigzell Friend

Hi Gray

I disabled the search stats component (I think that’s what you were referring to in #1) but it made no difference.

However, when I set error reporting to maximum, I get this message on the blank search results page:
    Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /home/linweb01/f/frontrowfilms.co.uk/user/htdocs/libraries/phputf8/utils/unicode.php on line 208

Does that mean anything to you?

Thanks again for your help.

Nick

<em>@gray 155969 wrote:</em><blockquote>Let’s continue 🙂

1. disable loging of search terms (Joomla admin)
    2. set error reporting level to maximum (also Joomla admin, Global Options)</blockquote>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

This topic contains 24 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  micrantha 14 years, 5 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum