Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I have a problem, please someone help me!

After installed Purity III Quickstart package, I get a 502 error in the frontend, while the backend works fine.
    My software is:
    Nginx 1.4.3
    PHP 5.5
    J 3.2.1

It seems to me that I’m not the only person with the same problem – check another post here http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/white-screen/ . So please don’t just come and say that I should read your Installation Guide! I’m an experienced Joomla admin and I’ve done those installation steps dozens of times.
    Any competent advices are welcome!

Hayden A Friend

Hi vegas77,
    I think this problem happens when installing quickstart package, you can follow this thread http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/white-screen/,

Let me know if problem is not resolved.

Vlad Vegera Friend

Hi Hayden,

I’ve found a reason – it was a turned on ‘Development mode’ (with .less files being used instead of .css).
    Some LESS compiler needed for that which is absent on the server! That caused the problem. Once you turn Dev. Mode off, everything works fine.
    BTW I have no idea what kinda software it should be for LESS? Maybe you could seggest something?

UPD: What should I do to mark the thread as solved??

peteralfred Friend

I had the same experiece: white screen. Turning off Dev mode helps.

Wall Crasher Developer

As the new LESS compiler for Bootstrap 3 requires a lot memory.
    Please increase the memory_limit to at least 128MB in php.ini then try again.

This is a big drawback of new LESS compiler, but in return, we will have a better css compiled result.

https://github.com/t3framework/t3/issues/219

Vlad Vegera Friend

Thanks, Wall Crasher!
    The memory_limit in my php.ini is already set to 128M. Is there any other suggestion for the possible reasons?

By the way, does your Purity III package include a built-in LESS compiler or I need some 3rd party plugin?

And, if we get back to the problem – as you see, it is NGINX that shouts an error message, not an executed .php file or something. I know that NGINX is not a “default” web server for Joomla but in my experience it proved to handle J2.5 and J3 pretty well. But maybe it requires some .less-specific settings, I don’t know…

Wall Crasher Developer

@ vegas77,

I agree. I do not think NGINX caused the problem. The only one so far I can see is the memory limit.

You should check for actual memory_limit on your server. Though some servers allow you modify the php.ini file, but it does not allow more than 64MB memory limit.

You can try the compile on local (WAMP Server/ XAMPP) and upload the css to server. This is a workaround for now.

Vlad Vegera Friend

OK thanks man!
    I’ll follow your advices, and I’ll post here if I find a final solution for processing .less in the dev mode.

Vlad Vegera Friend

I’ve checked my host parameters by running a phpinfo () script – it show 128M of memory limit – so that’s not what causes a problem. This host is on Amazon EC2 instance.
    At the same time I’ve installed the same quickstart package on another host (which is a shared host on Hostmonster) – and everything works fine including the .less developer mode…
    So definitely I have to find out which is the difference between those hosts!!! The only obviuos thing for now is that on EC2 I use PHP5.5 and on HostMonster it is PHP5.4.

sgower Friend

<em>@vegas77 409332 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi Hayden,

I’ve found a reason – it was a turned on ‘Development mode’ (with .less files being used instead of .css).
    Some LESS compiler needed for that which is absent on the server! That caused the problem. Once you turn Dev. Mode off, everything works fine.
    BTW I have no idea what kinda software it should be for LESS? Maybe you could seggest something?

UPD: What should I do to mark the thread as solved??</blockquote>

Vegas77, I am new to Joomla 3.2, how do I check to see if I am in development mode? When I use the purity III templates all I get is a white screen.

Thanks,

Vlad Vegera Friend

sgower, you just go to the Extensions -> Template Manager menu, then select Purity III (which should be a default frontend template if you installed it via the quickstart package), then switch to the General tab – and the first setting you’ll see is a Development Mode on/off. That’s it!

sgower Friend

<em>@vegas77 410150 wrote:</em><blockquote>sgower, you just go to the Extensions -> Template Manager menu, then select Purity III (which should be a default frontend template if you installed it via the quickstart package), then switch to the General tab – and the first setting you’ll see is a Development Mode on/off. That’s it!</blockquote>

Vegas77, thanks for the reply, although I do not see the general tab when I open the template. I am using joomla 3.2.2. What am I missing…?

Steve

Vlad Vegera Friend

Hey Sgower,
    So what is your exact problem? Where do you see a white screen – in the site frontend or when you go to the Purity template settings in the backend?
    In the second case, I know there is a compatibility problem with J3.2.2 – you can see more info here: http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/white-screen/

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Vlad Vegera 10 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum