Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hello,

Please help me choose a better CCK. The choice would be based more on the flexibility and output atractivness, amongst other criterum.

Looking JA article on CCKs, many people thought ZOO was best for them. Nonetheless, it would be very useful for us who have not used ZOO or jSeblod or other CCKs to know what worked and most importantly what’s the downside of other CCKs.

If using Joomla! 1.5.x, which CCK would you recommend?

and IF using J! 1.6.x, whick CCK would you recommend?

PS: Many CCK developers have not released compatible J! 1.6 versions yet.

Thank you for your input.

iguinee Friend

Anyone with any experience with these extensions?

Phill Moderator

K2 I just do not seem to get on with. I am not fond of the way it creates its own categories outside the standard Joomla structure. This may not on the surface seem a problem but there are so many reasons why this can be a right royal pain in the harris.

Seblod 2.0 on paper looks good but we will have to wait and see how it turns out when it arrives for J1.6

Zoo has some superb features but I have not used it enough to really be sure.

FlexiContent was shaping up nicely but development seemed to stop.

What all could do with is a big database of mini themes for them. Making a layout for a cck is quite time consuming and I feel that if all came up with more than just a few basics out of the box they would be a lot more popular.

iguinee Friend

Would anybody else contribute?

veeco Friend

You might forget K2.. it’s easy to use but don’t use joomla core article structure (it use their own database structure)…
    You should forget flexicontent.. it has security hole, you can’t find it in joomla extension, wait until new release
    You might try JSeblod.. only if you have lots of free time, it very lacks of documentation.. but it is powerful CCK
    You might try Zoo.. they have better documentation compare to JSeblod.. but i never tried them.

I’m jSeblod user.. how about if you learn Zoo and let me know your experience, i could teach you some of basic of jSeblod… we could share knowledge..:D

ihjens Friend

I spent the past two weeks having a closer look at the various CCK systems available for Joomla. My personal winners are: K2 and JSeblod (I’ll stick to Joomla 1.5 until several important extensions have made it into 1.6/1.7, e.g. Joomfish, Virtuemart)

K2 has the advantage that it is fairly easy to use, good documentation and it’s something added on top of Joomla. JoomlArt has created many templates where you can see K2 in action. The fact that it is not that integrated and rather independent can have its advantages. When I first saw it I was really happy about what it would add to Joomla and the ability to define extra fields for your content types is really good. A nice addition is that you can easily create different author groups and restrict them to certain categories and that’s again not depending on the joomla user access level.

jSefblod is a different beast alltogether – more or less it replaces / adds directly into joomla. Your old articles are still there, categories and rights menagement is unaffected… the beauty is that with this you have incredible control and can change existing joomla components – e.g. with your standard joomla registration you’d want an extra field for their birthday and add a captcha image – you can simply add that to the existing joomla registration form. And obviously you can create completly new content types and submissions forms to go along with it.

TomC Moderator

<em>@ihjens 262259 wrote:</em><blockquote>I spent the past two weeks having a closer look at the various CCK systems available for Joomla. My personal winners are: K2 and JSeblod (I’ll stick to Joomla 1.5 until several important extensions have made it into 1.6/1.7, e.g. Joomfish, Virtuemart)

</blockquote>
    VERY Wise Strategy !!! 😎

cyprusmedya Friend

I have used K2 and will not recommend it because its articles & categories are created using its own database and it is not integrating with joomla. but, also it has a feature that is not on core joomla on 1.5, multiple category layout and many other features that makes it worth to try.

when you use k2 it is like you usee two different sites on one site. anyway, K2 has some good features that will reduce some component & module & plugin usage because of its own structure to make your site like a blog or a directory. i have seen many good websites created with using K2 only, some are directory sites, some are showcase sites, some are real estate sites… etc.

anyway, if you dare to use two different content databaes, one of joomla’s own and other of k2’s, give it a try.

I don’t know about other extensions but, from what i see, only Zoo is compatible with 1.6 & 1.7 versions. K2 and seblod are still 1.5 compatible.

so it is all up to you to choose which one to use, if you have some extensions that are not compatible with 1.6 & 1.7 and want to wait for those, give K2 a try. if not, then try Zoo or wait for K2 and seblod to become 1.6 & 1.7 compatible and then try all to see which one suits your needs. you cannot know which one is suiting best until you try all 🙂

jneubauer Friend

I’ve had extensive experience with all the CCK’s mentioned here – and more not mentioned including populare ones like Flexicontent.
    My personal favorite is hands down ZOO – love the ground-up approach to custom content.
    SeBlod seems a bit clumsy and harder to manipulate.
    K2 will be great if you don’t need a lot of customizations.

Hope that helps!

jooservices Friend

By myself at now i’m using K2 for any standard project, so i’ve better exp with K2.
    ZOO, i’ve tried but by somehow it’s not much easy for “customize” and dev extensions / addons ( at least my side ).
    Ya, K2 still have some bugs / bad logic of code but at least … now . It’s my choice 🙂 ( Although if i go to J1.7 i still keep to use K2 ).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  jooservices 12 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum