Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Right now, the base filtering option is by state, which is too large of an area. I have added a city field, but that can be too restrictive if the job happens to be in the next town over. The best solution, in my opinion, is to incorporate a radius search based upon zip code. In this way, you can enter a zip code and then say “find jobs within X miles”. This is how LinkedIn does it. (http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?search=&trk=jobs_home_adv_search)

This would make it much more useful for a job seeker to find jobs that fit their parameters.

I would be willing to help pay for this feature (and you could just include it in your core system).

brentwilliams2 Friend

I just realized that this feature may already be in the component somehow. I just ran across this code:

<?php if (JRequest::getVar("zipcode_distance", "") != "") { ?>
    <br/>
    <strong style="font-size:120%"><?php echo JText::_("DISTANCE_FROM_ZIPCODE".JRequest::getVar("zipcode_from", "")." is: ");?></strong> <?php echo $item->zipcode_distance ?>(miles)
    <?php } ?>

Hero, can you explain how this works?

HeR0 Friend

Hi,

To be frank, the zip code is not available for all countries, so we stopped developing this feature long time ago.

We’ll clear code and database of distance field from next version.

Regards

Kevin Friend

For the 400 bucks we paid for this tool one would think that everyone would be accommodated. It seems to me you are only developing what you absolutely have to and yet you still want premium price for your effort.

brentwilliams2 Friend

I have to agree with earthrat. For an expensive joomla component, a job board shouldn’t be missing a zip code radius search. At one point, it was considered a “Major” priority, so I hope it becomes so again. Otherwise, I think it will be difficult to be a truly effective job search tool.

HeR0 Friend

Hi there,

After discussing with the team and i would like to bring this feature back to our Jobboard system. The details has been added to our backlog for developing soon. You could check status of it at http://pm.joomlart.com/browse/JAJBJ25-303

We want to give out the perfect product and so it would help us alots if all your ideas are raised up for us to hear you guys closer and try our best to reach the expectations of the majority of users.

<blockquote>For the 400 bucks we paid for this tool one would think that everyone would be accommodated. It seems to me you are only developing what you absolutely have to and yet you still want premium price for your effort.</blockquote>

Regards

brentwilliams2 Friend

That is great news! Thanks Hero!

Kevin Friend

That is great newsHer0, this is a critical need for this tool here in the US.

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

<em>@HeR0 373433 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi there,

After discussing with the team and i would like to bring this feature back to our Jobboard system. The details has been added to our backlog for developing soon. You could check status of it at http://pm.joomlart.com/browse/JAJBJ25-303

We want to give out the perfect product and so it would help us alots if all your ideas are raised up for us to hear you guys closer and try our best to reach the expectations of the majority of users.

Regards</blockquote>

Thanks Her0, I appreciate your efforts.

Minion Friend

That sounds good :).

Im checking status and waiting about new update.

Thanks
    Rudolf

melanieb Friend

Hi,

is there any update on this? I too have discovered that my site visitors also require this. I only need the functionality as happy to populate it with my own data for my locations. Do you have any idea when this may be added?

Kind regards

Kevin Friend

It is hard enough to get support on this forum, so I would not hold my breath if I was you. I finally gave up, did what I could to make it work the best I could and moved on!

HeR0 Friend

Hi There,

All issues /ideas are added to our product backlog for future development. The filter zipcode function will be updated soon.

Really appreciate your patience during this time.

Regards

melanieb Friend

Hi Hero,

thanks for responding,

is there any kind of timescale for the next release of the job board (that may include this feature)?

Kind regards

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  melanieb 10 years, 8 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum