Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I do not understand why it’s expected from the members to change the CSS to get it like the demo version.

I would expect that a template is ready after a couple of months and no additional modification in CSS needed. Generally I assume that the date styling is part of the core template and not an optional extra that needs to be modified by the user.

As for myself i belong to a template club because I do not want to make any modifications on a template that’s more than 9 months released. Otherwise I can buy software like Artisteer is I wanted to modify my own template.

TomC advised me to “the configuration you would need to do (i.e. modifying the css for what you want) would likely take more time than would simply wiping the slate clean and starting fresh with a clean/new install ” that is if I do not want to modify the CSS to get the date styling like the demo.

himangi Friend

Hi annaleen,

I can understand and agree with you that if some styling is displayed in a template demo, you should not need to touch the css file to have that exact styling on your site when you use the template. But for any minor change you may have to edit css files as Tom may have suggested to you.

Kindly let me know in which template you are having this trouble with so that I can check it and talk to JA devs if anything needs to fixed in the template itself.

TomC Moderator

<em>@annaleen 290096 wrote:</em><blockquote>I do not understand why it’s expected from the members to change the CSS to get it like the demo version.

I would expect that a template is ready after a couple of months and no additional modification in CSS needed. Generally I assume that the date styling is part of the core template and not an optional extra that needs to be modified by the user.

As for myself i belong to a template club because I do not want to make any modifications on a template that’s more than 9 months released. Otherwise I can buy software like Artisteer is I wanted to modify my own template.

</blockquote>

There is, of course, a way to start with a virtual clone of the demo version[/url] from the start.

😎

TomC Moderator

<em>@annaleen 290096 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    </blockquote>

As I explained previously . . . . templates are starting points from which the user/developer modifies/customizes toward the particular theme/needs of their own respective website project. Templates are not (and never have been) intended to be turn-key solutions requiring no modification whatsoever. As such, there ARE elements that require one to adjust various CSS properties and parameters toward customizing the base starting point (aka: template) into a relatively unique website experience for the user’s particular site theme/subject. If such were not the case, then every site would look the same as every other site . . . and how interesting or dynamic would that be?

annaleen Friend

<em>@himangi 290243 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi annaleen,

I can understand and agree with you that if some styling is displayed in a template demo, you should not need to touch the css file to have that exact styling on your site when you use the template. But for any minor change you may have to edit css files as Tom may have suggested to you.

</blockquote>

My point is that something like dates in content, is basic core feature of a template and not a fancy add on. The template is already 9 months old and the template only works with CREATED DATE and not with MODIFIED DATE AND PUBLISHED DATE. Why?

Don’t you agree that wiping my entire site is a bit drastic advise for such a simple solution oposed to develop the template right from start. The previous templates worked on either dates.

TomC Moderator

<em>@annaleen 290326 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    Don’t you agree that wiping my entire site is a bit drastic advise for such a simple solution oposed to develop the template right from start. The previous templates worked on either dates.</blockquote>
    Yes, I do agree . . . . and I only offered that suggestion as a possible alternative depending on where you were with your current site development. Obviously, if you have entered quite a bit of custom content and such, then starting from scratch is not the option for you – as opposed to someone who had only just started and hadn’t really much to lose in terms of custom content/articles and such.

I apologize if my intended scenario relative to that recommendation was not clear.

As for the need to modify CSS for certain elements you want to customize/modify from the original . . . this is often a task that is universally required to modify/customize various visual display elements. (I’m certain this is not a secret for you, though). I do completely understand that working through such can be both time consuming and, at times, frustrating – especially when identifying certain elements for modification presents as a more difficult undertaking than we otherwise would prefer. Often times, a great deal of trial-and-error experimentation – and an equal amount of patience – is needed to work through these issues. I actually wrote a piece about this kind of thing which, perhaps/hopefully, you might find helpful/inspiring –> THE THREE P’s – PATIENCE, PRACTICE and PERSEVERANCE

There actually is a PLUS side to the process though – as arduous as it may seem … and that is, in working through the process – WE LEARN !!! 🙂 – most of the time, anyway.

In fact, I can virtually guarantee you that working through issues such as CSS identification/modification is exactly how most (if not all) of the JA Support Staff (including myself) and Developers learned and developed their own knowledebase and skills throughout the years. I highly doubt anyone was simply “born” with the knowledge of how to do all of this stuff. There was many a day/week/month when I considered throwing in the towel due to frustration over a particular issue I didn’t think I would ever resolve. However, through tapping into my own personal patience and determination that any given issue was not going to get the best of ME – I am very glad that I did not … as I would not have acquired the additional education and knowledge of how to tackle certain issues that I have today.

Believe me, though . . . for that which I know, there is 100x that I do not. Every single day I am continuing to research various issues and ask fellow Support Team Members for insight/advice. It’s all part of the learning and development process . . . and while the path during the process might seem/feel arduous, the “finish line” usually makes the trip worthwhile.

Sorry for being so verbose . . . and if I totally overshot your base concern/issue – I apologize tenfold.

I simply wanted to try to offer some additional insight/advice based on my own learning process “journey” in working with both Joomla and Magento based website development. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 12 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum