Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

We host our websites on the Rackspace Cloud – but I’m looking into getting the Amazon S3 services to host images for our sites.

The question I have is, is this best used for just images used in stories and modules or should you also use it for template images?

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

1. The Amazon S3 article has been updated on the main site. You can refer that for updated info.

We on JoomlArt site, use it for the full site. You can decide on whether you want to cover the whole site or just the major folder.

You should include the template folder as it contains the images (maximum), i am talking about the css images. This will bring the speed to your site… and if you include the whole site, then your CSS / JS are also loaded from s3. That also helps.
    You can extract maximum out of it if you also activate the cloudfront service. That will load your content from the nearest cloud server.

However, the current version of JA Amazon S3, requires parent folder to be uploaded… then only it will cover the folder of your choice…

For example, if you want to upload your Ja_events template, then you would need to upload the ../templates/.. folder…

or if you want to upload your jomsocial component folder, then you would need to get the parent folder (…/components/…) uploaded….

2. New version is on its way, which will allow exclude/ include folder feature… currently, it supports the root folder. You can try that one soon..

Arvind

thatcomputerdude Friend

Arvind,

I want to apologize, I read a few threads before I made this thread and then after I made this thread, I saw you talk about this in another thread. So I want to thank you for taking the time to explain this again, I can always count on spectacular support from you.

I’m sold on using this component and technology for our websites – I just need to decide if I want to continue to use the Rackspace Cloud Sites services & Amazon S3 or if I want to switch completely over to Amazon.

If anyone is using Amazon Cloudfront for their cloud hosting, I’d love to hear your thoughts on their services.

I’m a huge fan of Cloud hosting but there are times with Rackspace that I’m just not completely happy with the performance. My biggest issue is even though your site is spread across the cloud, your Joomla database is still on 1 database server, so if that server is having issues, your site has issues.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  thatcomputerdude 13 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum