Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Hi, how many template for virtuemart do you release every year?

Is there a way to integrate your new template styles with virtuemart?

I’m only using zeolite and mesolite for virtuemart, can I extend virtuemart with your more fresh templates?

wiery Friend

You can use virtuemart with any Joomla template. Some work better than others but you can still use any template. It will just take a little customizing here and there. But then again, doesn’t every job require a little customizing here and there? 😉

nefar Friend

Well you’re looking at 12 template releases a year and I think it’s safe to say that virtuemart templates are not as high in demand as their blog type style. I doubt we will see many if any for virtuemart and their last template zeolite looked just like mesolite with round corner blocks. Quite a disappointment.

You can however as wiery stated use the virtuemart component with any template. You would have to do some some customization to make it mesh well. There are also a few sites starting to pop up with virtuemart based themes. Rocketheme just released their first in April I believe. It uses the latest VM version 1.13 while JA is still using 1.12. Their theme was a little to modernized for my sites but was overall visually pleasing. There are also a couple other sites making custom flypages and some base graphics for shopping carts et cetera that can come in handy and their price tags are fairly low.

I’m looking for some additional themes for VM store fronts as well and there is really nothing to impressive out there. I may just have to stick with mesolite or zeolite for now but I’m starting to lean towards getting rid of VM. The support is non-existent and they don’t keep up on any bug fixes. They pretty much push you to hiring programmers to fix any issues. If I need to do that I may as well pay for a commercial component that offers real support.

wiery Friend

I agree with the “leaning towards getting rid of VM”. I too am thinking the same on one of my stores. It is sometimes a real pain to get it to function properly.
    Maybe give Magneto a try if your not dead set on using Joomla. It is an awesome ecommerce solution and we’re starting to see more and more templates available for it.

nefar Friend

Yeah, I was thinking about using Magneto until they decided to change over to “enterprise” and charge almost 9 grand a year for it. I may try their dumb down “community” version and see if I can find any templates to play with on a test bed. I need to see what payment processor modules they have. I’m currently using paypal but I’m thinking of getting rid of that as well HaH. I’m finding most of my feedback concerns paypal as a processor even though users are not forced to sign up with paypal. I’m sure it’s the garbage landing page they use that is designed to look like users must sign up for paypal. I wrote paypal about this and their response was to use their merchant account for $30.00 a month and higher transaction fees. Hell with them I’d rather get a standard merchant account then deal with them.

attilio_sal Friend

<em>@wiery 138245 wrote:</em><blockquote>I agree with the “leaning towards getting rid of VM”. I too am thinking the same on one of my stores. It is sometimes a real pain to get it to function properly.
    Maybe give Magneto a try if your not dead set on using Joomla. It is an awesome ecommerce solution and we’re starting to see more and more templates available for it.</blockquote>

You are right, It’s time to try other solutions (VM comunity is ok, but official VM team doesn’t fix all reported bugs and doesn’t update its component often).
    I’ll meanwhile try other virtuemart template teams to distinguish mine next ecommerce sites.

nefar Friend

Well I tried to install the community version of Magento on my host but no go. My host does not have innoDB on shared servers so that has set me back. I did however find a “free” place http://topcities.com/ I just used their self install with a subdomain to check out the functions of Magento.

I have to say with just a few mintues looking around I think I would be much more happy with this then virtuemart. So far I’ve seen quite a few things built in that virtuemart is lacking. Google functions are a nice touch and the ability to log into “magento connections” and upgrade/install extensions is very nice.

Does look like there would be some learning to do to operate efficently and customize but that’s really nothing new. God knows I’ve spent tons of hours trying to get virtuemart working correctly and when there is an update it makes me deathly afraid to install it HaH.

TomC Moderator

According to it’s “roadmap” the next upgrades to Virtuemart are supposed to be significant.

I think, perhaps, they are getting the message that they need to step things up several notches with the likes of Magento breathing down their necks. Also, there ARE quite a number of pretty great extensions available for VirtueMart that significantly improve it’s appearance, options and functionality.

I’m not trying to change your mind . . . I’m just commenting that I don’t think VirtueMart should be counted out just yet. I still feel that the ability to integrate it with Joomla – and the sheer versitility that comes with that – makes VirtueMart still a bit more appealing.

My two cents.

😎

nefar Friend

Yeah, there are some definet advantages to having joomla and I would hope that with Magento released it has lite a fire under vms *** we shall see. I think what I’m going to end up doing is a slight redesign on my treespun site and tweak the seo. My hosting contract is up at Christmas so if I don’t see anything signifcant out of VM by then I think I may make the switch over to Magento. I can make some custom pages with Magento so I won’t lose any of my articles or videos that I plan to put up.

attilio_sal Friend

<em>@nefar 138389 wrote:</em><blockquote>Yeah, there are some definet advantages to having joomla and I would hope that with Magento released it has lite a fire under vms *** we shall see. I think what I’m going to end up doing is a slight redesign on my treespun site and tweak the seo. My hosting contract is up at Christmas so if I don’t see anything signifcant out of VM by then I think I may make the switch over to Magento. I can make some custom pages with Magento so I won’t lose any of my articles or videos that I plan to put up.</blockquote>

Ok, I’ll wait for vm 1.1.4 release and the improved joomla 1.6, however I think magento is a good alternative for ecommerce to try in its community version.

freemovietag Friend

from where i get these virtemart templates

TomC Moderator

<em>@freemovietag 276170 wrote:</em><blockquote>from where i get these virtemart templates</blockquote>
    Care to elaborate on your request?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 12 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum