Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi

I have been developing my website for the past few months. I have tested it rigorously on my laptop with Wamp server. However, to test it online, I uploaded my website online (hosting with Hostmonster). First few sessions were fine, until I started getting CPU Quota Exceeded.

After finding out from hostmonster, apparently joomla was making immense SQL querries which was slowing down the site. Can anyone help me with this?

Now the template problem, If I do a web optimization test. It displays test results which are disappointing. It takes above 100 secs to load on a 56K speed connection (Most likely a dial-up). But more importantly it has 136 images, with about 10+ scripts and 10+ Css file. Most of them called by the template.

Is there a way to condense them and reduce the loading time. I have tried compressing my image files as much as possible. I have tried optimizing the database and delete unnecessary modules, plugins and components. And I have used the Gzip_mod as well

It seems it boils down to the template? Help Joomlart!

Here is result:

<blockquote>Analysis and Recommendations

* TOTAL_HTML – Congratulations, the total number of HTML files on this page (including the main HTML file) is 1 which most browsers can multithread. Minimizing HTTP requests is key for web site optimization. Y
    * TOTAL_OBJECTS – Warning! The total number of objects on this page is 136 which by their number will dominate web page delay. Consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Above 20 objects per page the overhead from dealing with the actual objects (description time and wait time) accounts for more than 80% of whole page latency. See Figure II-3: Relative distribution of latency components showing that object overhead dominates web page latency in Website Optimization Secrets for more details on how object overhead dominates web page latency. Combine, refine, and optimize your external objects. Replace graphic rollovers with CSS rollovers to speed display and minimize HTTP requests. Consider using CSS sprites to help consolidate decorative images. Using CSS techniques such as colored backgrounds, borders, or spacing instead of graphic techniques can reduce HTTP requests. Replace graphic text headers with CSS text headers to further reduce HTTP requests. Finally, consider optimizing parallel downloads by using different hostnames or a CDN to reduce object overhead.
    * TOTAL_IMAGES – Warning! The total number of images on this page is 113 , consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Recommend combining, replacing, and optimizing your graphics. Replace graphic rollover menus with CSS rollover menus to speed display and minimize HTTP requests. Consider using CSS sprites to help consolidate decorative images. Use CSS techniques such as colored backgrounds, borders, or spacing instead of graphic techniques to reduce HTTP requests. Replace graphic text headers with CSS text headers to further reduce HTTP requests. Finally, consider optimizing parallel downloads by using different hostnames to reduce object overhead.
    * TOTAL_CSS – Warning! The total number of external CSS files on this page is 13 , consider reducing this to one or two external files. Combine, refine, and optimize your external CSS files. Ideally you should have one (or even embed CSS for high-traffic pages) on your pages. You can optimize CSS files using shorthand properties, grouping, and then minify and GZIP compress them to reduce their footprint. Remember to place CSS files in the HEAD and JavaScript files at the end of the BODY to enable progressive display.
    * TOTAL_SIZE – Warning! The total size of this page is 327640 bytes, which will load in 92.50 seconds on a 56Kbps modem. Consider reducing total page size to less than 100K to achieve sub 20 second response times on 56K connections. Pages over 100K exceed most attention thresholds at 56Kbps, even with feedback. Consider optimizing your site with Website Optimization Secrets, Speed Up Your Site or contacting us about our optimization services.
    * TOTAL_SCRIPT – Warning! The total number of external script files on this page is 9 , consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refactor, and minify to optimize your JavaScript files. Ideally you should have one (or even embed scripts for high-traffic pages) on your pages. Consider suturing JavaScript files together at the server to minimize HTTP requests. Placing external JavaScript files at the bottom of your BODY, and CSS files in the HEAD enables progressive display in XHTML web pages.
    * HTML_SIZE – Congratulations, the total size of this HTML file is 4031 bytes, which less than 50K. Assuming that you specify the HEIGHT and WIDTH of your images, this size allows your HTML to display content in under 10 seconds, the average time users are willing to wait for a page to display without feedback.
    * IMAGES_SIZE – Warning! The total size of your images is 122332 bytes, which is over 100K. Consider switch graphic formats to achive smaller file sizes (from JPEG to PNG for example). Finally, substitute CSS techniques for graphics techniques to create colored borders, backgrounds, and spacing.
    * SCRIPT_SIZE – Warning! The total size of external your scripts is 151188 bytes, which is over 20K. Consider optimizing your JavaScript for size, combining them, and using HTTP compression where appropriate for any scripts placed in the HEAD of your documents. You can substitute CSS menus for JavaScript-based menus to minimize or even eliminate the use of JavaScript.
    * CSS_SIZE – Warning! The total size of your external CSS is 50089 bytes, which is over 20K. Consider optimizing your CSS for size by eliminating whitespace, using shorthand notation, and combining multiple CSS files where appropriate. By using labeled container cells and descendant selectors you can target chunks of HTML content efficiently without the need to embed extra claases and styles.
    * MULTIM_SIZE – Congratulations, the total size of all your external multimedia files is 0 bytes, which is less than 10K. </blockquote>

isgroup Friend

Dude, if you see that your site is generating unnecessary queries,then its being done by jos_redirection table only,which is responsible for SEF URLs in your site. If you are using any SEF component,then just unistall that and use the core Joomla SEF structure. It works good and load is 0 %.

Also, 136 images are bit steep for the site. You can optimze your images as well. Redo all that images in PNG with a bit less quality. Hope,it helped…
    There are few other tricks as well,but try those above ones first.
    Thanks 😀

ecology10 Friend

Hey ,
    thank you for the reply, I don’t have any 3rd part SEF components/modules/plugins running.

I am trying to compress the images, I can’t figure out what are all the objects that the main page loads apart from the images!

imsleepy Friend

I am having much the same issue. I have my current HTML site which I have never had any problems with. Loads very fast. I have the Joomla install in another directory on the same server. VERY slow. Sometimes does not load at all including back end administrator.

I know that on shared hosts, all resources are shared by all users. When it comes to a database driven site, this can be a nightmare. I don’t know that I have had CPU quota issues, I haven’t asked, but I do know that earlier today my Joomla site and the backend would not load at all as though the server were down, but my HTML site was just fine as ever so the problem had to be the Joomla installation not the server… or the SQL maybe?

The only solutions I can come up with might be getting a dedicated server, but that is spendy $$$… or just dumping Joomla altogether and sticking with my huge HTML site that is a nightmare to update (not my favorite option) but always reliable and fast loading.

Currently, I have the SEF activated, but the majority of the content is still the demo content from the quick install. I have only added about 20 articles and a few small photos.

Any other suggestions?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  imsleepy 15 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum