Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hi there

I only want 2 columns in my website. I need the large main column for articles, and a smaller one on the right as shown in my graphic attached. The main column needs to stretch to the right then to fill the gap. I tried changing the column % but that didn’t work. It is set to default in template manager.

PLEASE NOTE: I AM USING THE JOOMLA 1.6 TELINE 3 TEMPLATE. I COULD NOT LIST THIS ISSUE IN THAT FORUM AS THAT FORM IS BROKEN.

Please help ASAP guys

Thanks

1. COLUMN-RESIZE
    TomC Moderator

Hey There:

Can you provide the url to your site so I can help you with the column/section width parameters?

Also, make sure you have “Optimize CSS” set to “No” in your Template Manager (you can switch it back afterward).

I’ll keep an eye out for your response.

munders Friend

Thanks Tom, sent you a PM.

TomC Moderator

<em>@munders 258815 wrote:</em><blockquote>Thanks Tom, sent you a PM.</blockquote>
    Quick follow-up question . . . You only want the wider article section width for ARTICLE PAGES – not for the entire site (including the frontpage) – correct?

I ask because if you go into your Template Manager –> Layouts –> Default -> Edit
    and find/change the following code as follows . . .

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <layout name="desktop">
    <!--Extra css load for this layout-->
    <stylesheets>
    </stylesheets>
    <blocks name="top" style="xhtml">
    <block name="header" type="header"></block>
    <block name="mainnav" type="mainnav" ></block>
    <block name="cpanel" type="usertools/cpanel"></block>
    <block name="navhelper" type="navhelper"></block>
    <block name="topsl" type="spotlight">user1,user2,user3,user4,user5</block>
    </blocks>
    <blocks name="middle" colwidth="15" fixheight="1">
    <block name="content-top">content-top</block>
    <block name="content-bottom">content-bot</block>
    <block name="right-mass-top">col-mass1</block>
    <block name="right-mass-bottom">col-mass2</block>
    <block name="right1">left</block>
    <block name="right2">right</block>
    </blocks>
    <blocks name="bottom" style="xhtml">
    <block name="botsl" type="spotlight">user6,user7,user8,user9,user10</block>

<block name="footer" type="footer"></block>
    </blocks>
    </layout>

It will increase the width of the main column and reduce the width of the right column – throughout the site (including the article pages). This would represent the easiest fix for your issue – provided such is aesthetically acceptable to you.

If this isn’t an acceptable solution to your issue, let me know and I’ll continue working on it for you.

munders Friend

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the advice but it didn’t work. It reduced the narrow column (the one I want to keep) aswell.

I basically want the wider of the 2 right columns removing altogether as per my graphic on this post.

Please help.

Thanks

munders Friend

Any luck Tom?

Thanks

TomC Moderator

<em>@munders 259124 wrote:</em><blockquote>Any luck Tom?

Thanks</blockquote>
    I guess I’m not understanding fully what you want. I thought you wanted the main article section wider, and the right column narrower (as indicated by the red arrows in your graphic). Is this not correct?

munders Friend

Yes, that’s correct but I only want one narrow right column, not two.

I want the wider right column removing from the whole site including the homepage.

Thanks

TomC Moderator

<em>@munders 259156 wrote:</em><blockquote>Yes, that’s correct but I only want one narrow right column, not two.

I want the wider right column removing from the whole site including the homepage.

Thanks</blockquote>
    Hmmm … It seems you took your site down, so I cannot see how you have it configured now.

Do you, perhaps, have modules assigned and enabled/published in the one (of the two) right columns that you do not want to display – which would be the reason it is displaying the two right columns?

munders Friend

Sorry Tom, I added a new holding page. Please use imdex.php instead.

I will double check the modules but i’m pretty sure i don’t have any assigned because thats how i managed to take the screen grab.

Cheers

TomC Moderator

<em>@munders 258924 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    I basically want the wider of the 2 right columns removing altogether as per my graphic on this post.
    </blockquote>

Okay …. So is this for the Front Page or just for Article Pages?

I’m obviously still working on my WIP site, but is THIS kind of what you’re going for (spacing wise)?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 12 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum