Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi my Zeolite install is still on version 1.5.9 and Virtuemart 1.1.2 because I’m just too chicken to upgrade. Everything is working fine and I really don’t want to break it . Is it important to upgrade?

Apart from the obvious of backing up the DB and home directory – does anyone have any advice or warnings? Should I download from the Virtuemart site the “Complete Package for Joomla! 1.5” with Virtuemart 1.1.3 included? Or the Joomla 1.5.12 from Joomla ?

I’ve looked at the VirtueMart manual install and the readme.txt gave me the hebbie gebbies when I saw the database changes – like this portion.

INSERT IGNORE INTO `jos_modules` (`title`, `content`, `ordering`, `position`, `checked_out`, `checked_out_time`, `published`, `module`, `numnews`, `access`, `showtitle`, `params`, `iscore`, `client_id`) VALUES ( 'VirtueMart Module', '', 99, 'left', 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', 1, 'mod_virtuemart', 0, 0, 1, '', 0, 0);
    INSERT IGNORE INTO `jos_modules` (`title`, `content`, `ordering`, `position`, `checked_out`, `checked_out_time`, `published`, `module`, `numnews`, `access`, `showtitle`, `params`, `iscore`, `client_id`) VALUES ( 'VirtueMart Login', '', 99, 'left', 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', 0, 'mod_virtuemart_login', 0, 0, 1, '', 0, 0);

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Glenis

johno696974 Friend

I upgraded tonight from 1.5.8 to 1.5.12 without problems.

But admittedly I don’t use the VM component although I do use Zeolite.

All went smooth.

Phill Moderator

Download from the Joomla site the upgrade files.

If I were worried I would first make a copy of my site on my desktop (maybe using joomlapack and wamp). The I could test the upgrade first.

beadit Friend

I’ve had a brain wave. My entire site is in a subfolder, if I copy the folder and do the upgrades on the new folder then I can test to my hearts content 🙂

Can you see any pitfalls there?

Thanks

Phill Moderator

What about the database?;)

As I said, it is a good idea to have a backup so use Joomlapack ( http://www.joomlapack.net/ ) or similar to make a copy of your site and download this to your desktop.

Then download and install wamp ( http://www.wampserver.com/en/ ) to your desktop and start it.

Once instaled, find the www folder the install created and inside it create a new folder named whatever you want. Copy inside your new folder the joomlapack archive you just downloaded along with the kickstart.php file downloaded from joomlapack.

Point your browser to http://localhost/ and you will see a screen with the name of your folder there along with some other things like phpmyadmin. Click on phpmyadmin and create a new database. Once done browse to http://localhost/***yourfolder***/kickstart.php where ***yourfolder*** is replaced with the name of the folder you just created.

You will be presented with a small script to run, just accept the defaults. Onve the archive is unpacked by the little script you will see the standard joomla install screen with a few modifications. Just follow it through as normal giving the database name you just created etc. Finally delete the www/***yourfolder***/installation folder as requested by the joomla script and voila, you will have a running copy of your website on your desktop, just browse to http://localhost/ and select it from the list to see and use it.

With a full backup on your desktop you can mess around to your hearts content safe in the knowledge you will not destroy anything.

This may sound long winded but apart from the time it takes to download the copy of your site, the rest should take 10mins max.

Good luck.

beadit Friend

:-[ Database? Hmmmm good point. Thanks !

OK here goes – no such thing as 10 minutes, being the cautious sort it’s already taken an hour to read documentation and watch the video. It’s a good call though. I occasionally take a backup via CPanel but this looks more thorough so it’s a good component to install.

I’ll report back the sucess or failure for other users.

johno696974 Friend

<em>@beadit 135425 wrote:</em><blockquote>I’ve had a brain wave. My entire site is in a subfolder, if I copy the folder and do the upgrades on the new folder then I can test to my hearts content 🙂

Can you see any pitfalls there?

Thanks</blockquote>

I did exactly this last night. I then went to phpmyadmin and exported the DB.

Created a new DB and imported the data into that, then in my config.php I simply changed the DB name. I used the same user.

All went smooth, I now have a complete copy of my site as a backup in a sub folder.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  johno696974 14 years, 10 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum