Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

From reading this forum, I noticed that many questions are from people new to Joomla and Joomlart. So instead of working off a live site, and you use Windows; you can do the following

1. Download and install WAMP Server to your computer. WAMP Server includes Apache with PHP installed, and MySQL as well DB tools like phpmyAdmin – so this works on Windows without being Windows if you know what I mean.

2. Download whatever Joomlart Quick Start Template you like and install it locally on your computer in WAMP server. There are User Guides on How to do that in this forum.

3. Now you can examine how the modules are laid out and even edit and build your site.

4. Once you’re ready to go live, you can backup the DB, wrap up the template and then with some minor conifg changes, you can import the DB onto your live site, install the template and whatever extensions you want.

anisjolly Friend

thanks for the tip dwernars

will come in handy for those who are looking to run joomla on windows machines.

moderator: might be worth making this thread a sticky and locked?

ostonica Friend

<em>@dwernars 63990 wrote:</em><blockquote>From reading this forum, I noticed that many questions are from people new to Joomla and Joomlart. So instead of working off a live site, and you use Windows; you can do the following

1. Download and install WAMP Server to your computer. WAMP Server includes Apache with PHP installed, and MySQL as well DB tools like phpmyAdmin – so this works on Windows without being Windows if you know what I mean.

2. Download whatever Joomlart Quick Start Template you like and install it locally on your computer in WAMP server. There are User Guides on How to do that in this forum.

</blockquote>
    I did a local install with WAMP using JA-labra and also installed it on my own website. It works fine on my own website, but the flowlist module does not work on the WAMP site. Should the behaviour of the template be exactly the same in both situations?

Jim

mj1256 Friend

from my experience, if you use a wamp on your local windows machine and then zip it up and upload it to a linux server for hosting, you will have issues with things not working. It doesn’t happen with all, but I have found it to happen most of the time.

ostonica Friend

Thanks, but that was not the scenario I was trying to describe.

I installed the template from scratch into both locations. Two separate installs, not a transfer.

The install to my own website worked fine, but in the WAMP installation the JA flowlist did not show up.

Thanks again

Jim

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ostonica 15 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum