Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

To website administrators. I find the use of the word XMAS as offensive. Whether one is Christian or not, the holiday is still the holiday for the same reason. We do not celebrate the birth of X, but Christ. One does not need to believe or celebrate it the same as Christians but changing our holidays name and then using it as a promotion is offensive. I wish people that do not celebrate, or believe, would simply not use any form of Christmas than degrade it by writing out XMAS.

Thank you and Merry Christmas

rkrause Friend

That has got to be one of the most ridiculous posts i’ve seen. How about challenging something else that is worth it. To bring up Christ in a private forum over a renowned holdiay term is just not the right thing to do.

The term “X-mas” is used world wide. Do your research before posting something ridiculous…

“X” (as in chi) was used as an abbreviation for Christ from early times, perhaps initially as a camouflage for the religion. It was the first letter of the word Christos (meaning “the anointed one,” e.g., the Messiah) and fortuitously was cross-shaped, so there seemed to be some symbolism or double meaning. It’s been used as a scholarly and not-so-scholarly abbreviation since.

-Ryan

itgl72 Friend

Sorry you feel that way. I am not illiterate to past history as you may suggest. However in this day and age there is a push to take Christ out of anything it once had a place in. I’m no religious zealot that’s for sure but I am a Christmas tradionalist. I enjoy the tradition of Christmas and its true meaning, but respect others who do not celebrate this holiday or have their own holiday and would never degrade them out of respect.

People put in “X” to take out Christ in Christmas too much these days.

My point is, why bother saying if you don’t say it correctly? Just say Happy Holidays than put in X.

This sort of discussion is not my cup of tea and I don’t usually go about starting topics of this nature but coming to this website and seeing XMAS all over the place just unsettles me and I needed to post it. This is the website feedback forum after all.

rkrause Friend

I can understand that line of thinking better…

-Ryan

scotty Friend

Have to agree with rkrause. If people knew what the X in Xmas actually meant they would be less ‘offended’. I do prefer to see Christmas but I am not offended by Xmas.

David Steadson Friend

<snark on>The word XMAS is offensive. As anyone with a knowledge of history knows, the X is a representative symbol of Christus, otherwise known as Jesus of Nazerath, and his follows have STOLEN a well known midwinter festivity and usurped it as their own, TAKING OUT recognition of it’s true meaning.

Please refer to it as midwinter solstice</snark off>

Merry midwinter solstice to the northers and midsummer solstice the southerners 🙂

sunrise Friend

I prefer Christmas myself, but what you call it is not as important, I think, as what you do with it, Maybe be a bit kinder, do some good deed, say a prayer for someone, or whatever you feel you could do for someone else. That to me is more what Christmas is about, rather than what it is called.

You never know, calling it “midwinter solstice” might be offensive to Australians who are in the middle of their summer now.:D:D

Whatever you want to call it, I wish you all a merry one. Merry Christmas!!

scotty Friend

sunrise;96189whatever you want to call it, i wish you all a merry one. Merry christmas!!

Hear! Hear!

mfcphil Friend

The word Xmas was srarted by Christian Monks in the 16th Century, now if its ok by them its ok by me, I mean they kind of work for the bloke.

http://www.starstuffs.com/xmas/xmas.html

So Merry Xmas or Christmas or God bless you all….which ever god you pray to.

David Steadson Friend

<em>@sunrise 96189 wrote:</em><blockquote>You never know, calling it “midwinter solstice” might be offensive to Australians who are in the middle of their summer now.:D:D!</blockquote>

Which is why I said happy midsummer soltice to the southerners! As it happens I’m an aussie living in sweden so I’m kind of aware of the differences at christmas time 🙂

sunrise Friend

If that is the case I wish you “God Jul!” mate!

webregit Friend

JA, I find this to be offensive. I mean replacing the JA for Joomlart. Come on world, lighten up!:-*

David Steadson Friend

I once got an extremely nasty letter from a client in response to an email I’d sent them explaining we’d finally solved this major hardware problem that had been causing them problems for weeks.

I’d literally spilled blood, having cut myself on a chassis, and told them about it, jokingly saying that “sacrificing some blood to the gods of computing seemed to have helped!”

They cancelled their account as a result.

What is truly funny is how offensive some people can be when they take offence at something trivial.

unixboymd Friend

Thats when you need to start a blog and then poke fun at them for their hasty retreat. That’s just crazy. Did they really think you sacrificed a goat or something to the all knowing, all powerful computer gods Bit, Byte, Internet and Bandwidth?

<em>@icerat 96989 wrote:</em><blockquote>I once got an extremely nasty letter from a client in response to an email I’d sent them explaining we’d finally solved this major hardware problem that had been causing them problems for weeks.

I’d literally spilled blood, having cut myself on a chassis, and told them about it, jokingly saying that “sacrificing some blood to the gods of computing seemed to have helped!”

They cancelled their account as a result.

What is truly funny is how offensive some people can be when they take offence at something trivial.</blockquote>

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@itgl72 96165 wrote:</em><blockquote>To website administrators. I find the use of the word XMAS as offensive. </blockquote> Have you ever googled for the word “offensive”, one literally finds no content that could relate to what you mean the word Xmas is. In other words, one mostly finds military articles about all the offesives that became famous and other such content.

Maybe you are intimidated by the word Xmas, or the word Xmas as an replacement for the word Christmas may be too “forceful”, to “direct to the face”, to “defined”, like “a proper definition of the origin word Christmas” and may be too offensive to your kind of model thinking.

But honestly, I think you wanted to have some laugh about all the comments that came and it was like a good joke for you to see the attention coming your “offended standpoint”.

Psychologically, it is also stange to see someone with an avatar representing a lifestyle or atttitude that stands in a direct contrast to a real baptist kind of thinking and behaviour. Someone who supports cars and waste of recourses, careless acts against the environment from motorsports like shown on the avatar, people like those should not play to be offended by the word Xmas…

You are simply a joker type of baby…:D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

This topic contains 17 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  samirchursin 15 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum