Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

I used to be resistant to utilizing a Quickstart package for a template. I just didn’t like the thought of having to install another complete installation of Joomla – be it on a localhost (XAMPP) server or on my webost server. Always seemed like such a pain in the neck.

HOWEVER, I finally decided to give it a shot with one of the JA templates . . . and I’m now a believer.

Many of the posts we see on the various template sections involve someone wanting a certain aspect of their site to look “just like the demo.” Well, that’s exactly what you get with the Quickstart package.

The greatest value, in my opinion, is seeing how the developers configured various parts of the template (as in the showcased demo version) and learning form that as to how to not only replicate such a configuration, but how to create my own custom version – such as some of the “custom mods” created on the demos.

Just thought I’d post some thoughts and – for those of you who really like some of the aspects of the demo versions of templates – encourage some of you to give it a shot and see if it makes some things a little easier for you in the development of your own sites.

😎

webbiegirl Friend

I, too am looking for the standalone Edenite slideshow module. I used BitNami Stack for the latest ver. of Joomla and default templates and it worked well – but I cannot install the Edenite Quickstart just to get the slideshow module. I already have the version of Joomla I want, but the 1.5 template did not include the slideshow module. Does anyone know where to get the slideshow module for Edenite? Thank you.

mj1256 Friend

sorry tcraw1010, i like your topic,
    if you want the template and all of the pieces so that they work, skip the BitNami Stack (as cool as that is;) ) and use the quickstart.

but. now it goes off topic for webbiegirl

it interesting the the 1.0.x series download includes the slideshow as a separate module for installation, where as the 1.5 serices does not. We should show that to HUNG and see whats up because if someone does do just a template install for 1.5, they don’t have the modules in the download package to do it.

You could also try downloading and unziping the quickstart locally, look for the following 2 files and the folder
    mod_jaslideshow.php
    mod_jaslideshow.xml
    ja_slideshow
    and zip them up and then try to install it as a module. I have not tried this with the slideshow, but it has worked for me in the past when I needed other moduals..

but to tcraw1010 point, the quickstart is the recommended and in my opinion the best way to install ja templates. I have little to no problems with the quickstart and it saves me a lot of pre configuration issues before i start customizing.

jwellman Friend

Hi Tom,
    For what it’s worth, we always use the Quick Starts. I always see various topics about bugs but so far we’ve been really lucky. We are on our 8th or 9th (?) template now and have had only one true bug. Hainn helped us fix it very quickly. Most of the errors or problems we have are usually lack of our knowledge in Joomla. We are coming along nicely though! It has been a lot of fun learning each template.

mj1256 Friend

<blockquote> Most of the errors or problems we have are usually lack of our knowledge in Joomla</blockquote>

I have noticed this constantly from the posts on the forum. JA takes a beating when many of the issues are joomla issues, especially with j1.5.

For a while now, I’ve wanted to point out that many users do not know where joomla ends and the template begins. They have been kinda blurred into one application framework or platform, when, in fact, they are two separate pieces that work together.

Maybe its the quickstart packages that have created this situation as it presents joomla and the template as one unified platform. This makes customer service more diffcult for JA as that line between joomla and the template is blurred. JA constantly has to fix and address non-template issues.

but…in the end, the quickstart packages are brilliant for the installation of the more rebust and complicated templates because JA can control the code needed for the templates to work, and the novices do not have to set about editing files in joomla itself.

questbg Friend

Teline II Quickstart worked OK for me. I really wanted my own site to be a slight modification of the demo site, after all, that’s why I downloaded the template!

wkjex1 Friend

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me how to install the quickstart zip file? I am grateful for the explanations in your forum. I am new to Joomla, am reading a Joomla instruction book, but there was no mention of quickstart packages and I spent 1/2 day trying to load it–I thought it was a companion piece to the template.

I tried to install the quickstart using the ‘upload and install’ option, but that didn’t work. Can anyone point me to some instructions?

I bought the new JA Pyrite template for 1.5.

My second question is this: my joomla site loads a lot slower than the site I am migrating to Joomla. Is that something I have to live with? Or if I delete all unpublished modules will things speed up?

Thank you kindly,
    Wendy

TomC Moderator

<em>@wkjex1 81661 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi All,

Can anyone tell me how to install the quickstart zip file? I am grateful for the explanations in your forum. I am new to Joomla, am reading a Joomla instruction book, but there was no mention of quickstart packages and I spent 1/2 day trying to load it–I thought it was a companion piece to the template.

I tried to install the quickstart using the ‘upload and install’ option, but that didn’t work. Can anyone point me to some instructions?[/quote]

Hi Wendy:

You cannot load the quickstart files while they are still zipped. You need to unzip the files and then upload them directly to your server via ftp or whatever file transfer application you use. Depending on the speed of your connection, it will take between 5 – 10 minutes.

You then type in the url of your site and the installation screen will appear – you take it step-by-step from there.

Let us know if you continue to have problems.

wkjex1 Friend

Thank you for your reply! Just a couple additional questions.

I have already installed Joomla at my godaddy account, do I need to uninstall it before using the quickstart install? It sounds as if quickstart installs Joomla and the template.

And 2, do I upload the unzipped quickstart files to the directory that my URL points to? Is that why installation screen will appear when I type in the URL?

Thank you very much!

mj1256 Friend

you need to uninstall the one at the host. the quickstart is a full joomla install with the template and it will load it just like the demo, just make sure that after you install the DB during the installation program, you click install sample data

now the bad news

godaddy is a non compliant hosting provider and you will have problems with joomla.

you cannot unzip files at godaddy, you must unzip on your desktop and then upload manually.

as you probably have a share hosting account where all of your sites will be in the same folder, make sure you create a subfolder and point the domain to it

there are ways to make it work at godaddy, but it takes an experience web person to do it. I had a client who insisted on paying for his 8 dollar hosting, but ended up paying me 500 to make things work.

When you get instructions here in the forum they will apply to real host ingand if the users here have not used godaddy, their directions will be useless.

if at all possible, change your hosting company to a real host and it will make everything work.

and just because i need to vent
    godaddy throttles, bandwidth, both up and down
    godaddy has proprietary syntax for the htacces file
    godaddy, will not let joomlapack or joomlacloner work, so just forget those 1 click back ups
    godaddy add syntax to manual mysql database backups, so you can just forget restoing your website if it crashed
    also, when you go to zip a file on the server, it adds the -L switch to the command, which means all fo the file names will be made lower case and you cannot do that in PHP and joomla.

sorry about the badnews, i have a ton of experience with this and i will no longer take any joomla website hosted at 1and1 and godaddy as clients.

wkjex1 Friend

Oh wow! Thanks for this information. I could’ve spent even more days trying to sort this all out.
    Best regards!
    Wendy

insiyah Friend

Awesome instructions I finally was able to get quickstart to work. Many thanks. It will be a huge help.

emhaddon Friend

I unzipped my Quickstart files and am uploading them to my FTP client to then upload to my file manager for my site. It is almost done but has taken almost 5 hours. Is this normal?? I am using ShareFile. Please advise! Thanks!

adela01 Friend

Thank you very much it can help me a lot

TomC Moderator

Over three years later, and the overall idea and point to the thread holds true.

😎

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

This topic contains 24 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 11 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum