Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

The templates of Joomlart.com looks very good, but the quality of the code is awful.

The templates are HUGE, which makes your web site slower. Without removing all not needed CSS classes and images Joomlart templates are around 450kb.

In their CSS files you will find a lot of unused images and classes. Very often instead of using background colors, they are using huge images 2000×500 pixels.

If you are using some of their templates you can check your web site performance here:
    http://www.joomlaperformance.com/component/option,com_performance/Itemid,52/

YES, the templates look good, but this is the only benefit. The club is also very expensive in comparisment with other joomla template clubs.

My name is Stanislav and I am a paid subscriber. If you guys from Joomlart have some brain in your head you will try to improve your services and code quality and not delete this post.

Regards

vince2 Friend

Stanislav,

Great site. How did you arrive at the “recommended values” for the HTML size, etc.?

Any good sources for learning about optimizing Joomla sites?

I agree totally: The faster, the better!

vince2

sequenceinc Friend

Do you have some recommendations for how users can go about removing the unnecessary code. I do see that my site is much slower with the templates, and would like to remove anything that is not necessary. Any guidance you have would be much appreciated.

P.S. To start to clean up CSS, can you just comment out the unneeded code? Or should it be deleted all together in order to make the site run faster.

sequenceinc Friend

Do you have some recommendations for how users can go about removing the unnecessary code. I do see that my site is much slower with the templates, and would like to remove anything that is not necessary. Any guidance you have would be much appreciated.

P.S. To start to clean up CSS, can you just comment out the unneeded code? Or should it be deleted all together in order to make the site run faster.

sequenceinc Friend

Okay, through some trial and error I did start deleting some images and some of the unnecessary CSS and I already see a difference in how fast (slow) my site loads. Yayyyy!!!

vince2 Friend

sequenceinc,

As far as I know, you need to delete the extraneous CSS code–makes for less processing by the browser and, therefore, less time to load.

I, too, am very interested in learning more about cleaning up the code for the JA templates I use. I guess it shouldn’t surprise us that cleaning them up would be a good thing, if the dev team recycles the code between templates. :((

Hung Dinh Friend

Hi stanislav123,
    First of all, thank you very much for bring this template performance issue. It seems to be an interesting issue of Joomla. Code optimization is always our first attention when creating the template. A newbie may be impressed by your mentioned issues, however a Joomla template expert will investigate into more aspect of speed performance.

<blockquote>The templates are HUGE, which makes your web site slower. Without removing all not needed CSS classes and images Joomlart templates are around 450kb.</blockquote>

It is true that some “CSS classes and images” are not needed. If you choose to to use Default color, the CSS classes and images of blue or green color are unnecessary. And our template will NOT load such color template css file. If you open our template, you can see that although there are some css files are packaged into the installation file, not all of them will be loaded.
    So, there will be 2 different sizes: packaged template file size and packaged (or used) template file size. The HUGE file size you mention is just packaged template file size.

<blockquote>In their CSS files you will find a lot of unused images and classes. Very often instead of using background colors, they are using huge images 2000×500 pixels.</blockquote>
    Another misleading investigation. The image may be huge in dimension, but mini in size
    Eg: this background image is 550×1943 pixel but only 6.8Kb or this 2000px pixel image is just 123bytes (< 1Kb)

I am also the person who like the lightweight and simple templates rather than colorful and graphic based template. JA always try to use our brain to optimize all the template files, especially the css files. We all know that some css are unnecessary (Eg: typography css) but without them, many of you will be not happy. With a basic knowledge of CSS, user can remove css lines which they do not want to use.

JA is well known for the simple and lightweight template, please point out which template club use less image and less css files load than JoomlArt and we will try to improve ourselves (as we usually do)

teetide Friend

This subject fascinates me because slow Joomla loading templates are so maddening.

I’m no coder but I can certainly install a template and see how quickly it loads compared to others I like.

I recently installed JA Justicia, Yootheme Zeitgeist, and Rockettheme Colormatic templates because of their similar overall layouts.

Running the EXACT SAME CONTENT on the SAME SEVER, Colormatic loaded fastest with Zeitgeist a little slower and Justicia taking forever to load.

I’m still trying to figure out a way to use Justicia because I love the layout. I would love for someone to tell us what js, css and images files we could strip out to make the performance of this template decent.

sequenceinc Friend

I’m not an expert. I only know what I’ve taught myself, but here is what I’ve figured out regarding the JA templates:

* I went from a 2 column to a JA 3 column template. I added more modules because of the third column. That in itself increases the load time, as there are more items to load.
    * There are a lot of small images in the JA templates (for ex. the little icons). Any images will slow it down.
    * Make sure your images are the smallest file size possible, especially because there are so many.
    * Through trial and error I have removed pieces of CSS and images. I make a complete copy of the template folder prior to changing anything, in case I need to revert. Then I removed all images for the color options I’m not using (I have my site set to be one color only.) I also removed all parts of CSS I’m not using. (For ex. I don’t use the slideshow in JA-Genista, so I can remove most of that code.) I have quickly gone from 7 seconds to load, to 5 seconds, according to the tool linked in a previous message. 5 seconds is still BAD, but not as bad as 7. I expect that if I keep working on it, I can still improve it.

The JA templates will never be as fast as a stripped-down template. That’s part of the catch. If you want a fancier template with more options, you lose speed. But if you really wnat to use the templates then you should definitely go through and get rid of any images and code you don’t need.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  sequenceinc 16 years, 3 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum