Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Just made the mistake of updating to the latest version of TelineV template and it killed our website. 404 Component not found message showing up.

Why does this keep happening? Why release updates that kills the website? This is the second time it has happened to me. More importantly, what can I do about it?

Please help, this is urgent. I promise, after this I will never update the template.

Edit: It’s only the frontpage that the update killed. I can manually type URL of other pages in the browser and they are opening fine.

Adam M Moderator

Hi @ssinha,

I have just checked your site and see that you haven’t assigned any menu item as your home page, please make at least 1 menu item as default, you can check here.

Adam M Moderator

Hi @ssinha,

I have just checked your site and see that you haven’t assigned any menu item as your home page, please make at least 1 menu item as default, you can check here.

Adam M Moderator

Hi @ssinha,

ssinha Friend

Thanks Adam, I just checked the menu settings. The update has messed up the default Home Menu as well as the Top Navigation which has two items missing.

As you can see from the image attached, unlike the image you posted, I don’t have the option to make main menu default. Currently I have made the ‘News’ menu as default and it is working but unable to make Home menu default.

I was wondering if you could look into it in the backend and make the Home menu default. After that, I’ll worry about re-making two missing items from the Top Navigation.

For my own understanding, I have a copy of the entire file structure of the website to my local drive. Last night, when this problem occurred, I FTP’d all the files and folders from my local drive to the server but that did not help but that could be due to some glitch in FTP. Can you tell me which folder (or file) holds these information that I can retry FTP’ing?

Thanks for your help.

ssinha Friend

Adam, your comment did help after all. I was able to recreate the menu and it’s working fine now. Thanks a million for pointing me n the right direction. I still need to rebuild the blog menu but I think I can fix it now. But the question remains, why did it happen after the template update in the first place.

djacosta Developer

It doesn’t really matter why, just make sure before you update stuff you create a back-up.

ssinha Friend

So it’s quite normal for the site to break after each template upgrade?

Adam M Moderator

Hi @ssinha,

Actully, I’m pretty sure that the problem is not about the template update process as menu setting is handled in database instead.

1. May be you updated from a very old Joomla! version or there’s a 3rd extension which messed up the database.

2. You (or an user with appropriate permission) deleted the menu.

ssinha Friend

Hi Adam, thanks for your answer. It has to be #1 because I am the only backend user so it can’t be #2. It was working fine one minute, and the next minute after I updated the template, the menu was gone. Anyway, it’s working fine now.

My past experience has not been too pleasant in upgrading the Joomla version (3+) or this template so I am now very leery of them. Upto J2.5, I never had any problem with upgrading but J3, in my opinion, is far from bug free. This template, while one of the best I have ever seen for a news site, is also too quirky for my taste. It required way too much customization with the help of you guys. It’s probably great for Joomla experts with extensive programming background but definitely not suited for weak-hearted like me. I have not used any other J3 template from other vendors so I am not sure if it’s this template or any template from any other vendor. For all I can tell, it could be the overall J3 framework that is making it difficult for us mere mortals.

Thanks for the wonderful help you have provided to me. Without help from you, Tom, Joo, Saguaros and a few others whose names escape me at this moment, I could have never finished this site. You guys are the best. In the past, I have dealt with tech support of other vendors whose names shall remain anonymous, you are the best bunch of people by far.

ssinha Friend

Hi Adam, thanks for your answer. It has to be #1 because I am the only backend user so it can’t be #2. It was working fine one minute, and the next minute after I updated the template, the menu was gone. Anyway, it’s working fine now.

My past experience has not been too pleasant in upgrading the Joomla version (3+) or this template so I am now very leery of them. Upto J2.5, I never had any problem with upgrading but J3, in my opinion, is far from bug free. This template, while one of the best I have ever seen for a news site, is also too quirky for my taste. It required way too much customization with the help of you guys. It’s probably great for Joomla experts with extensive programming background but definitely not suited for weak-hearted like me. I have not used any other J3 template from other vendors so I am not sure if it’s this template or any template from any other vendor. For all I can tell, it could be the overall J3 framework that is making it difficult for us mere mortals.

Thanks for the wonderful help you have provided to me. Without help from you, Tom, Joo, Saguaros and a few others whose names escape me at this moment, I could have never finished this site. You guys are the best. In the past, I have dealt with tech support of other vendors whose names shall remain anonymous, you are the best bunch of people by far.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ssinha 8 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum