Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I am running joomla 1.5 with ja_teline_iv and would like to convert to joomla 1.6.

What is the easiest way to do this? Does the template needs to be installed and configured all from beginning? Are there any manuals or instructions?

Thank you

splico123 Friend

Well i would not recommend just upgrading if you dont have time to set it up right from the start. There are few scripts on JED that suppose to transver the articles and modules.
    But if you want my honest opinion based on experience, i would set up new site and manually transfered articles from old database to new. I know its a lot of work but its error proof if you want to put in that time.

And yes you will have to set up modules all over which takes no time at all if you already have done that before.

But check joomla forums and you can get the idea of the upgrade problems and challanges.

ithacaindy Friend

Ensuring the important modules you use have a Joomla 1.6 version (or there are J1.6 equivalents) will be your most trying portion of moving from J1.5. For example, my default event module, JCalPro, has yet to release a 1.6 version, as well as the JCE editor.

cgc0202 Friend

I am more inclined to agree with splico. I have sites with gigabytes of data, but since I am not really an expert on scripting or programming, I prefer to start anew.

This is especially true with the transition from Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 1.6. There are so many different changes in the architecture.

I just installed SandBox sites for Teline IV (in Joomla 1.5 and last night in Joomla 1.6). There are Joomlart modules that have been revised radically, e.g., the NewsFlash. It is not perfect, but the latest revision of NewsFlash is more versatile than the previous version used in Joomla 1.5 templates.

Of course, the big thing is the absence of Sections — just categories now. Although the primary category in Joomla 1.6 is akin to the Section in Joomla 1.5, the relationships in a way is more complex. Categories may be placed in more than one primary category. And, while technically it is not possible to place an article in multiple categories (which is standard in commercial news-magazine) portals, I browsed in the extensions and there are some extensions claiming to allow multi-category listing of articles.

I like the changes that have been done with Teline IV (except the JA News Pro) but from my cursory look with the first version, there are quite a few features (modules) that work well in Joomla 1.5 but still rudimentary in the Teline IV (Joomla 1.6).

It is still a new experience for me, and unless I have not figured it out yet, the Magazine menu of Teline IV in Joomla 1.6 uses a rudimentary “up and down” mechanism to arrange and rearrange the menu list.Try doing that with 100 or more of categories, and you got work to do there. Also, the J1.6-Teline IV Magazine menu does not seem to automatically enter the created new categories — a feature that is standard in prior versions of the magazine menu of the Teline series.

So, I would not rush migrating to the Joomla 1.6 version of Teline IV right now, if I were you. The most productive thing to do, if you like the template in Joomla 1.6 is to get familiar with it.

It is tedious, but I think the main advantage of starting with a new site altogether is that it gives you a chance to start anew — maybe a fresh approach of presenting, a revised layout, more ideas to attract visitors, etc. — hopefully for the better.

Cornelio

ithacaindy Friend

I’ve created a 1.6 sandbox to answer my urge to experiment, but retain 1.5 for everyday use. As time progresses, more major modules will be updated and the Teline IV 1.6 template will move from beta to a full-release. With luck, some of the rough edges you’ve mentioned with be corrected.

Phill Moderator

I would wait for a little while if I were in your shoes.

While both systems are called Joomla, they are quite different beasts as Joomla 1.6 has a lot of enhancements and changes over 1.5. If you do not have a specific need for one of the new features of J1.6 then there really is no need to migrate at the moment.

Migrating to Joomla 1.6 will get easire as time goes on and the migration components become more mature. All you are really doing is moving all your content from one site to another. Before you begin (as has already been stated) you need to make sure all of the required extensions are available. There is a migration component that creates a full install for you but that means you do not get the full features of a JA quickstart and will have to enter a lot of settings manually.

If you really need to migrate then give it a go on you localhost first. If all goes wrong then you only loose time. If all goes well then you can use akeeba to move the site to your live space.

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

Hi guys,

Based on my experience of migrating sites from Joomla 1.0.xx to Joomla 1.5.xx, i would like to suggest the following :

1. Make a list of 3rd party extensions (templates / components / modules / plugins) you are using on your current J 1.5 site.
    2. Check the items in this list with their developers for availability of J 1.6 counterpart.
    3. Check the respective forums for such extensions for issues reported and so on.
    4. Modules and plugins do not need migration scripts and are to be installed fresh and re-configured.
    5. Components would need migration steps defined by the developer or migration script if required.
    6. Templates need to be reinstalled and customized again. It was easy with J 1.0 – J 1.5, one could move the template folder and run the same template (J 1.0) with legacy mode. But Joomla 1.6 doesnot have legacy support.

One should also read this interesting announcement on joomla.org

<blockquote>Migration to the July 2011 release – We are planning to implement a site importer in this release that will allow you to import your data from either Joomla! 1.5 or Joomla! 1.6.</blockquote> Quote from the above announcement..

Arvind

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Arvind Chauhan 13 years, 3 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum