Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hi there,

I have recently launched a website at http://www.ruthcheesley.co.uk using JA Elastica, but I am having big problems on Android devices.

I have tried this on the following devices:

Samsung Nexus – Internet browser & Firefox
    HTC Sensation – Internet browser & Firefox
    HTC Wildfire – Internet browser & Firefox

In all of these devices and browsers, the main menu does appear, and the top level dropdown shows – and that’s where it stops.

When I click on one of the top level items, it highlights and seems to attempt to open the sub-menu, but nothing ever happens. Therefore as my top level menus are purposely non-clickable to ensure that people viewing from mobile devices can click rather than hover, none of the sub-pages are available to mobile browsers, only the homepage.

I have seen other posts about this but the responses have been ‘use a different browser’ or ‘Blackberry browsers are really bad, use Opera’ which isn’t too helpful! I’ve got this kind of setup working fine with other Joomlart templates (e.g. JA Pyro) so not really sure what the problem is with Elastica.

P.S. yes, I know there are CSS issues with the mobile layout, I’m more bothered about the menu not working at all!

Ruth

Blaine Friend

Well, first,don’t shoot the messenger, BlackBerry browser are bad and BB is not known for having good browsers.

Try to clear browsers cookies.

rcheesley Friend

Hi there,

Thanks for the response but given this is a new site which had not been visited on any of the devices previously, can you explain how clearing the cookies the devices would make any difference? Perhaps I am missing something but I don’t quite see how this would help?

Ruth

Blaine Friend

<em>@rcheesley 309863 wrote:</em><blockquote>

I have tried this on the following devices:

Samsung Nexus – Internet browser & Firefox
    HTC Sensation – Internet browser & Firefox
    HTC Wildfire – Internet browser & Firefox

In all of these devices and browsers, the main menu does appear, and the top level dropdown shows – and that’s where it stops.

Ruth</blockquote>

Well Ruth, you yourself said that you had a hard time on the above devices, so yes, I figured the site had been visited on them if you were saying there were problems.
    If you would like to provide me backend Super Admin access to the site, I would be happy to take a look. Do not post here. You may edit the header of this thread or PM me the details.

rcheesley Friend

Your response made reference to Blackberry, all the devices I mentioned above are Android devices. I made reference to other posts which said that the menus did not work on mobile devices, of which one was talking about blackberry phones.

To clarify, we are having problems with ANDROID phones (we haven’t even tested it in iPhone or Blackberry as we all have Android phones, and once we tested it and realised there were problems it didn’t seem sensible to go and test on other devices!) in both Firefox and the normal on-board browser. I’ve tested on three different Android devices with different versions of Android, and they all have the same issue – sub menus don’t show at all.

Interesting to note, that they don’t work on your demo either! So I’m guessing it’s not something with my site setup but something to do with the template/CSS itself.

Ruth

Blaine Friend

<em>@rcheesley 310461 wrote:</em><blockquote>Your response made reference to Blackberry, all the devices I mentioned above are Android devices. I made reference to other posts which said that the menus did not work on mobile devices, of which one was talking about blackberry phones.

Ruth</blockquote>
    Yes, only because you made reference to Blackberry. I realize you are speaking of Androids and my response is the same ~ Androids have issues and there are extensions in the JED just because of this.
    let me get another mod to step in who will help you.
    And for your info, your site didn’t work on my Blackberry either.
    Thanks.

Sherlock Friend

Hi rcheesley,

The Ja Elastica template as you know is a responsive template that meant it would auto change it’s layout to adapt to the screen that you are viewing the site on, this auto changing does not depend on type of the device but depend on the screen size it has.
    Also I think this template has been designed so it would only display the top level of each menu item because as you know the mobile screen is narrow and there would not space for showing entire menu section, all of your top level menu items are Text Separator so you are seeing they are non-clickable.

fanho Friend

Actually, I found the trick to enable the sub menus in Ja Elastica.
    I’m surprised I couldn’t find the answer anywhere on the forum:confused:
    In the layout-mobile.css @line 419 (could be different because I edited the Css already) under #ja-menu-button {
    There is the value:
    z-index: 4;
    If set to 4 the menu only show the level 1, if set to 3 than on click the sub menu (level2 or Level3) shows!
    It was actually commented in the css, I didn’t see it before.
    I hope it will help people having the same problem. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  fanho 11 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum