Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I am, using Mendozite on Joomla 2.5x. I have one word that appears in a variety of articles and the first letter is being changed from the desired capital letter to a lower case value. If I use either a strong tag or a hyperlink tag the issue goes away. When I look in the database I see the capital value correctly stored there. The word is a brand name called “Quillix.” In all cases it needs to be capitalized. It does not matter which article, all of them produce this error.

You can see it here:
    http://www.ufcinc.com/MuWave-QSX-Modules-and-Products/muwave-ocr-qsx Search for the word “quillix.” You will see that when the unicode trademark symbol followed the capital letter was produced on the browser.

There are a variety of plugins on this site. I tried turning off various ones with no difference. The database collation is utf8_general_ci

The site uses the Remository glossary but the glossary pop-up is disabled. It also uses the Tortag tag tool and I turned this off and it made no difference.

Jim Hill, Digital Marketing Manager
    User Friendly Consulting, Inc.
    1401 Kings Highway, Winona Lake, IN 46590

Ninja Lead Moderator

It would be great if you can include a screenshot for illustration, it would help to understand the issues and give you specific suggestion.

I switched the template on your site to Beez5 – Default, but I could not see the problem you mentioned.

1. unicode_error
    jimhill10 Friend

Here is what I see in various browsers, this is from Chrome, others in our company have confirmed the same thing. Notice the word “Quillix.” Since it’s a brand name in every case the word is capitalized in the article but when it appears it shows with a small “Q” unless it is enclosed in a hyperlink, strong tag, or has a unicode trademark symbol following it.

1. Capture

jimhill10 Friend

I too changed the template and the issue remains, so it’s not a template issue. This is an interesting issue when it only happens with one single word. I can add other words with a capital “Q” in the article (any article for that matter) and they work correctly. So the issue isn’t with the capital Q but with the word “Quillix.” The Joomla database shows the correct capital letters in the article. But they get rendered as a small q.

Ninja Lead Moderator

As your site uses many plugins now, I’m not sure which plugin converts the capital Q to small q on your site. But I did help you to set the configuration from Content – Glossary Popups plugin as the screenshot:

The front-end site is working with the capital Q in this word “Quillix” now.

1. config_glossary_popups
    2. config_glossary_popups_1
    jimhill10 Friend

Thanks, you are onto it. Thanks for your great help and great products. Jim

jimhill10 Friend

It turns out that this is not an issue with the Glossary component as Martin Brampton verified himself just yesterday (thanks Martin!). The issue is somewhere in the Joomla core, both in 2.5 and 3.3. The Glossary only fixes the issue when you use the glossary content plugin. FYI

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jimhill10 9 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum