Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Congratulations on moving forward with the exciting new T3 framework and other smart features. Some suggestions:

Bread-crumbs should NOT be at the bottom of the page!
    (i) Usability teaches that we should position things on a web page where people expect to find them. The expected and usual position for breadcrumbs is below the horizontal menu, just above the content. In this case it should be below the modules, just above the content.
    (ii) Users need breadcrumbs for one of two reasons –
    a. they are confused by the structure of a complex web site, and a breadcrumb can help them understand where they are within that structure
    b. if they arrived at a page from a link within content, the breadcrumb can show them what the more direct route is through the menu system.
    In either of these situations, users are not likely to scroll down to the bottom of the page to find out where they are! They are going to look where they expect to see breadcrumbs – just above the content!
    (iii) Some users will NEVER scroll to the bottom of the page.

Speed of site
    The performance of this site with its T3 framework and use of css sprites sounds very promising. It would be interesting to compare the load time for the JA Purity II with JA Purity (using the same content). Perhaps you could demo both versions of the template on the server so that we can do a comparison.

A good principle in upgrades
    A good principle in producing upgrades is to offer new and improved features, but at the same time, NOT to remove functionality that users are used to in the older versions. (Microsoft often makes this mistake, much to the frustration of their users). In thread http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/great-addition-some-issues-though/ , bulgin says
    <blockquote>But I am still trying to figure out how to change the header image, header background and other graphics /text associated with the header.

This is quite and improvement over the normal ja_purity, but unlike in Ja_purity the original, you could change the header background image and styles using the joomla back end, there is no such feature in this version.

what are the general principals for changing that?</blockquote> It would be good to keep the old functionality of being able to change the header background image and styles using the joomla back end.

didima Friend

is this free theme or just for members only ?

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

didima;150537is this free theme or just for members only ?

Its free, released under GPL licence, not related to October template. You can say its bonus theme to Joomla Community and JA Members.

Arvind

missyw Friend

<em>@drarvindc 150539 wrote:</em><blockquote>Its free, released under GPL licence, not related to October template. You can say its bonus theme to Joomla Community and JA Members.

Arvind</blockquote>I wonder, under the GLP license, will Joomlart be obliged to let people remove the Designed by JoomlArt.com message in the footer?

cozmic Friend

<em>@missyw 150367 wrote:</em><blockquote>Congratulations on moving forward with the exciting new T3 framework and other smart features. Some suggestions:

Bread-crumbs should NOT be at the bottom of the page!
    (i) Usability teaches that we should position things on a web page where people expect to find them. The expected and usual position for breadcrumbs is below the horizontal menu, just above the content. In this case it should be below the modules, just above the content.
    (ii) Users need breadcrumbs for one of two reasons –
    a. they are confused by the structure of a complex web site, and a breadcrumb can help them understand where they are within that structure
    b. if they arrived at a page from a link within content, the breadcrumb can show them what the more direct route is through the menu system.
    In either of these situations, users are not likely to scroll down to the bottom of the page to find out where they are! They are going to look where they expect to see breadcrumbs – just above the content!
    (iii) Some users will NEVER scroll to the bottom of the page.

Speed of site
    The performance of this site with its T3 framework and use of css sprites sounds very promising. It would be interesting to compare the load time for the JA Purity II with JA Purity (using the same content). Perhaps you could demo both versions of the template on the server so that we can do a comparison.

A good principle in upgrades
    A good principle in producing upgrades is to offer new and improved features, but at the same time, NOT to remove functionality that users are used to in the older versions. (Microsoft often makes this mistake, much to the frustration of their users). In thread http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/great-addition-some-issues-though/ , bulgin says
    It would be good to keep the old functionality of being able to change the header background image and styles using the joomla back end.</blockquote>
    I also agree to that the breadcrumbs should not be at the bottom. Not good for navigation. Is there a possibility to change that?

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

missyw;150551I wonder, under the GLP license, will Joomlart be obliged to let people remove the Designed by JoomlArt.com message in the footer?

Feel free to remove the Designed by JoomlArt.com for JA Purity II. But one cannot remove the copyight info from the code / css / php files header. Thats what GNU/GPL is. Edit / modify / distribute but retain copyrights of original authors within the files and acknowledge the hard work.

Arvind

shanny50 Friend

<em>@cozmic 150809 wrote:</em><blockquote>I also agree to that the breadcrumbs should not be at the bottom. Not good for navigation. Is there a possibility to change that?</blockquote>

Easy enough to change see attached image

1. breadcrumb
    missyw Friend

<em>@shanny50 151088 wrote:</em><blockquote>Easy enough to change see attached image</blockquote>
    Hi shanny50

I cannot get the same result by selecting any of the existing positions in the breadcrumb module. Did you create a new position for your breadcrumb? If so, how did you do it, as the html file for JA Purity II is quite different from the old templates? :confused:

shanny50 Friend

All I did was spend 15 mins looking at various files and moved the footer position (where the breadcrumbs is) to under the menus etc

As I don’t need the footer module or banner modules I turned those off giving the result shown, there are probably several neater ways to accomplish it but as I said I had a spare 15 mins this morning and had a quick play. I will review what I did and tidy it up at a later date

musicinme Friend

<em>@missyw 151095 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi shanny50

I cannot get the same result by selecting any of the existing positions in the breadcrumb module. Did you create a new position for your breadcrumb? If so, how did you do it, as the html file for JA Purity II is quite different from the old templates? :confused:</blockquote>

I spent only 5 minutes – just copy and paste. And I’ve added small code to lang file en-GB.tpl_ja_purity_ii.ini.

Copy below code and replace your mainnave.php ( templates/ja_purity_ii/layouts/blocks ) with it:

[PHP]<div id=”ja-mainnav” class=”wrap”>
    <div class=”main clearfix”>
    <?php if (($jamenu = $this->loadMenu())) $jamenu->genMenu (0); ?>
    </div>
    </div>

<?php if ($this->hasSubmenu() && ($jamenu = $this->loadMenu())) : ?>
    <div id=”ja-subnav” class=”wrap”>
    <?php $jamenu->genMenu (1); ?>
    </div>
    </div>
    <?php endif;?>

<div class=”ja-navhelper wrap”>

<div class=”ja-breadcrums”>
    <strong><?php echo JText::_(‘YOU ARE HERE’)?></strong> <jdoc:include type=”module” name=”breadcrumbs” />
    </div>

<ul class=”no-display”>
    <li><a href=”<?php echo $this->getCurrentURL();?>#ja-content” title=”<?php echo JText::_(“Skip to content”);?>”><?php echo JText::_(“Skip to content”);?></a></li>
    </ul>

</div>
    </div>[/PHP]

And in en-GB.tpl_ja_purity_ii.ini for example at the end add

YOU ARE HERE=You are here: (or anything you would like to appear on begining of breadcrumbs)

Sorry for my bad english, but I hope it’s clear explained.

shanny50 Friend

5 mins Great work! as i said thereare probably neater solutions than my one and you’ve proved it πŸ˜€

Perhaps JA could hire you to fix all their bug ridden code ?

Shannon

musicinme Friend

Thank you for your nice words πŸ™‚ You could appreciate my help in this topic by cliking button. Maybe I will be abble to find another solution in the nearest future πŸ˜‰

musicinme Friend

I forgot… Probably two bredcrumbs are not necessary, though some may pick it out as a nice addition. But you can remove it and place there bottom navigation. My code in this case looks as follow:

<div class="ja-navhelper wrap">
    <div class="main clearfix">

<div class="ja-footnav">
    <jdoc:include type="modules" name="footnav" />
    </div>

<ul class="ja-links">
    <li class="layout-switcher"><?php $this->loadBlock('usertools/layout-switcher') ?>Β </li>
    <li class="top"><a href="<?php echo $this->getCurrentURL();?>#Top" title="Back to Top">Top</a></li>
    </ul>

<ul class="no-display">
    <li><a href="<?php echo $this->getCurrentURL();?>#ja-content" title="<?php echo JText::_("Skip to content");?>"><?php echo JText::_("Skip to content");?></a></li>
    </ul>

</div>
    </div>

<div id="ja-footer" class="wrap">
    <div class="main clearfix">

<div class="inner">
    <div class="ja-copyright">
    <jdoc:include type="modules" name="footer" />
    </div>
    </div>

</div>
    </div>

templates/ja_purity_ii/layouts/blocks/footer.php

missyw Friend

I agree with Shannon50 – great work! JA should hire you to fix their bugs πŸ˜€

I am happy to have the breadcrumbs at the top. But the following did not work to change the text. I don’t know why, I even tried changing all 3 instances of en-GB.tpl_ja_purity_ii.ini !<em>@musicinme 151121 wrote:</em><blockquote>. in en-GB.tpl_ja_purity_ii.ini for example at the end add

YOU ARE HERE=You are here: (or anything you would like to appear on begining of breadcrumbs)
    </blockquote>

<em>@musicinme 151121 wrote:</em><blockquote>Sorry for my bad english, but I hope it’s clear explained.</blockquote>No problem with your English. It was clearly explained. Thanks

musicinme Friend

<em>@missyw 151408 wrote:</em><blockquote>I am happy to have the breadcrumbs at the top. But the following did not work to change the text. I don’t know why, I even tried changing all 3 instances of en-GB.tpl_ja_purity_ii.ini !
    </blockquote>

Hi.

I’ve added this code in main folder of my joomla, nor in admin’s neither in purity_ii template folder. Just for frontend. So remove it from them and put only in one ini file to avoid language conflict πŸ˜‰ Did you publish breadcrumbs? I think you did… just asking…

Anyway it’s good to help you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Saguaros 13 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum